Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, German)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Re: Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, German)

Postby Willow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Chmury wrote:Witam na forum Willow! I hope to be able to write a little Polish with you this year.

Witam również w swoim wątku! And sure, I believe we will :)
In regards to music in Spanish, here are a few options:

O my God! So much new music to explore :) Thanks a lot :) I will keep my mind and ears busy for now, definitely :)
All the best with the Polish and Spanish this year!

Thank you, and I wish you the same :)
Honestly, today I exercised my Polish a lot, especially it's grammar part, for I had to fill a pile of documents :| I hate such procedures, but it went not so terrible, I I've expected :D
Last edited by Willow on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Re: Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, Spanish)

Postby Willow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:27 pm

outcast wrote:Yes, some of those late 60s early 70s Argentine rock groups have albums that conceptually and from a pure musical standpoint are absolute gems not enough people know about. But you must be into classic 60s rock to really get into it I guess. Also the lyrics and albums by bands like Pescado Rabioso (Manal is another one), really dive into Argentine history and the events of the time. Argentina in the early 70s was the only remaining democracy with elected government in South America along with Colombia, but there was a lot of stuff going on that would precede the Junta. But they are a great way to kill three birds with one stone: learn language, learn music, and learn history.

It depends what the OP likes in music, but obviously Latin America has more than enough to accommodate any tastes.

Oh, my tastes are quite diverse, so I'll try to search for every option. Especially, that my true aims are languge, music (culture) and history :)
So, Thank you so much for showing the direction where to look :)

Just last night I was walking back to my dorm and from the Ukrainian students' dorm section I was hearing both Ukrainian and Korean being spoken from through a door, from where Fidel Nadal's "International Love" was blaring, Spanish lyrics and all.

An American in China hearing a Angolan-Argentine singer's hit in Spanish being played from a Ukrainian dorm where Koreans were crashing. True story :P

That my friends is the definition of Globalization. It's a whole new (small) big World!

I think that's just beautiful :)
That new World makes people much closer to each other, maintaining the better understanding between every one of us and creates new common things and values for the whole World and that's the best point about it :roll:
1 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 am

I failed with my Spanish, but succeeded with a German, so i probably should change the log's name :D But why? Actually, because of motivation. Sure, german is much more difficult in comparison with Spanish, but I needed a job for one thing, so it became my major motivation, and, later, I suddenly started to like the sound of it (I mean German, of course). Und now I'm really into it :)
It's amusing how the human brain works in a relation to languages: you begin with a great passion and ardour, and then suddenly stop leaning, or you start just for fun and then suddenly discover the motivation and aim for learning.
I have checked my estimated level in German, by the way, it's most likely B1, which is quite cool, I'll tell you.
How I reached it? The answer is easy: Duolingo+Memrise+reading+lyrics of favorite German bands+Easy German channel on youtube+job interviews. Although, I still lack good grammar skills. But I will exercise it on and on, and then, perhaps, I will reach it. We will see :)
Last edited by Willow on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:47 am

Now I have no clue as for how to change the Log's name :D
0 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Which materials do I use in order to develop and maintain my language skills?
English: Innovations (advanced)+Ted, youtube, TV-shows+talking to myself+ constant reading (as for now it's Sleep, pale sister by Joanne Harris.
Polski: rozmowy, zawsze rozmowy - co jest dosyć proste, ponieważ mieszkam w Polsce. Również czytam Sienkiewicza, teraz to Potop. Trochę nudna książka, ale użyteczna po nad wszystko.
Deutsch: Dualingo (I habe es fast beendent), Ubungen aus Memrise, ich lese Die Leiden des jungen Werther auch, vielleicht es ist witzig, aber Ich mag das Buch seit meine Kindheit und zuerst ich habe es im Russisch gelesen, und jetzt versuche I es im Deutsch verstehen. Ausserdem, ich sehe die Forgen aus Easy german jeder tag an. Und auch mache ich Lehrgang von Netzwerk B1 (Kursbuch und Arbeitsbuch). Denn sprehe ich mit mich selbst. Deswegen Ich habe keine Angst von der Rede.
Русский: ежедневно читаю, переодически пишу на форумах и говорю со свой семьей по телефону раз в неделю :)) Как-то так ;)
1 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi! To change your log's name you have to modify the first post of the log.

I'm also studying German, and I'm having fast progresses due to my previous knowledge of Dutch (B2-ish). I also can speak French and Spanish, but they're rusting. I'm native Italian speaker, I also have a b1-ish understanding of Romanian (but a0 in speaking or writing). Oh and C1-ish in English.

I failed to understand how you did become b1 in German :)
1 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:57 am

Tristano wrote:Hi! To change your log's name you have to modify the first post of the log.

Thanks, so it happened as I can see :)
I'm also studying German, and I'm having fast progresses due to my previous knowledge of Dutch (B2-ish). I also can speak French and Spanish, but they're rusting. I'm native Italian speaker, I also have a b1-ish understanding of Romanian (but a0 in speaking or writing). Oh and C1-ish in English.

Impressive :) I have (or had) C1 in English, C1-C2 in Polish, I have also good understanding of almost every slavic language (in written form or slowly pronounced), as for German it was not so difficult (although still not so easy), because it has a great deal of similarities with English.
I failed to understand how you did become b1 in German :)

I was currently unemployed and I had plenty of time: I devoted this language about 6 hours per day. During the recent job interveiws recruters estimated my German on the level B1
3 x

overscore
Orange Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Serbian.
Levels vary. Native is fr-ca.

Postby overscore » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Willow wrote:I was currently unemployed and I had plenty of time: I devoted this language about 6 hours per day. During the recent job interveiws recruters estimated my German on the level B1

ha! :D I had an easy time with German too, for some reason. I ended up learning it completely by accident too, when I became curious to understand various songs by bands like Knorkator, Rammstein, then I picked up Kafka and books on the brain and various other stuff.
It's not an easy language by any stretch but it's a very accessible one, getting understood is not too bad, but I do have to resort to a fair bit of Denglish sometimes :lol:

I ended up going to Germany and had no problems with basic communication, that was a pretty cool experience, even managed to conduct a basic job interview entirely in the language in Berlin (English is like non-existent there, no way did I expect that). In the end I chose against that and ended up the trip in Kraków, was pleasantly surprised. It's like I felt right at home in the slavic lands.

----

2. I have a polish blood, running in my viens, so I'm interested in my cultural inheritance.

Better to talk of "cultural heritage". Inheritance is something that happens when your parents pass away.
By the way, you tend to overuse articles a little bit. I wouldn't know how to explain it, but either: "I have a bit of polish blood" or "I have polish blood." It's fine in Romance languages, but English is like in-between Russian and the Romance tongues, sometimes you have to drop the articles.
3 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 pm

overscore wrote:
when I became curious to understand various songs by bands like Knorkator, Rammstein,

In my case it was Umbra et Imago :D
It's not an easy language by any stretch but it's a very accessible one, getting understood is not too bad, but I do have to resort to a fair bit of Denglish sometimes :lol:

I'm afraid that I also tend to use "Denglish", because the both languages "stored" in the same "place" inside my head. What's more, this also (I mean the word) is so confusing! :D
I ended up going to Germany and had no problems with basic communication, that was a pretty cool experience, even managed to conduct a basic job interview entirely in the language in Berlin (English is like non-existent there, no way did I expect that). In the end I chose against that and ended up the trip in Kraków, was pleasantly surprised. It's like I felt right at home in the slavic lands.

By the way, I live in Krakow now, so it's really interesting to hear :) I also feel at home in Poland, the feeling I had never experienced in Russia, to be honest...
----

2. I have a polish blood, running in my viens, so I'm interested in my cultural inheritance.

Better to talk of "cultural heritage". Inheritance is something that happens when your parents pass away.
By the way, you tend to overuse articles a little bit. I wouldn't know how to explain it, but either: "I have a bit of polish blood" or "I have polish blood." It's fine in Romance languages, but English is like in-between Russian and the Romance tongues, sometimes you have to drop the articles.

Thanks for your remarks, I will try to pay attention next time :)
I tend to overuse articles due to my former Philological education: actually, I always suspected that our professors used too much of them, but it turned to be my own habit which is so difficult to get rid of.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, German)

Postby aaleks » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:51 pm

I tend to overuse articles due to my former Philological education: actually, I always suspected that our professors used too much of them, but it turned to be my own habit which is so difficult to get rid of.

From what I've read on this forum, it seems overusing articles is quite a common thing for non-native speakers :) .
----------
edited:
I meant these posts (Voytek's and blaurebell's) about overusing articles:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 969#p70971
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 969#p70997
1 x

Return to “Language logs”