Polyglot Gathering in Bratislava 2018

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Polyglot Gathering in Bratislava 2018

Postby Elenia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:46 pm

I'll be there! I am very much looking forward to seeing you all again :D and maybe some others, too?

EDIT: I'm hoping to have actually improved my Finnish by that point! It will probably still be a NO, but I'd like to be able to at least tell people it's a 'no' in Finnish. It would also be great to have stronger German (existent German is probably more achievable) and maybe even some small amount of Dutch? I'll work on basic Slovak a couple of months before the gathering, hopefully.
5 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Oh, I'd love to go! Reading about the different gatherings that have already taken place, it seems like such a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I can't really plan future travelling at the moment due to my health situation. And even if I can travel, I also want to go to Ireland again next year, so I really don't know if I'll make it to Bratislava. Would be different if the meeting took place in Berlin again.

But I'm really considering it...
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 pm

Ryanair has a line from Dublin to Bratislava
1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Iversen wrote:Ryanair has a line from Dublin to Bratislava

Yeah, but that would entail flying with Ryanair... ;)
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Josquin wrote:
Iversen wrote:Ryanair has a line from Dublin to Bratislava

Yeah, but that would entail flying with Ryanair... ;)

Check Air Lingus to Vienna.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 pm

The problem isn't really getting from Ireland to Bratislava (although I'd prefer flying from Cork rather than Dublin if it came to it). I don't even know when I'll be in Ireland, but end of May might just be the time. The problem is rather my financial situation and my health. I'm still in quite a delicate condition and I don't know if I'll be feeling better or worse in May. And then I probably just won't be able to afford both trips, especially so shortly after one another. But, as I said, I'll keep myself informed and I'm still considering it. I just can't make any promises right now.
1 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 pm

The dates have been unofficially announced as 30 May - 3 June, that is wednesday to sunday.
3 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”