new Perseus 5.0 reading environment for Greek and Latin under development

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

new Perseus 5.0 reading environment for Greek and Latin under development

Postby mcthulhu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:28 am

See https://sites.tufts.edu/perseusupdates/ ... and-latin/, about plans to design "A new reading environment that captures the basic functionality of the Perseus 4.0 reading environment but that is more customizable and that can be localized efficiently into multiple modern languages, with Arabic, Persian, German and English as the initial target languages." It sounds like it's supposed to merge several existing projects for the classics. Functionality will include a lightweight treebank viewer, and word/phrase alignment between the source text and translation. There's a link to an existing Alpheios reading environment for Greek that might be a model for whoever wins the contract. I was pleased to see that the source code is supposed to end up on GitHub under an open license.
7 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Alpheios used to be in my browser, and it worked well enough until Firefox objected to its presence. But a better model IMHO would be LWT or its competitors. I just gave a new look at Alpheios, and it fails to address a significant drawback to vocabulary look-ups. The LBJ in the background is a bit of a muddle for a dictionary to be used in the 21st century. For example, using Alpheios to look up a word at the beginning of Plato's Meno, ἀσκητόν. Alpheios, using LBJ, I suppose, gives the meaning from A Homeric Dictionary (George Autenrieth), 'finely or curiously wrought,' without a hint that there might be another meaning. The meaning appropriate to this case in the Meno is 'that which can be taught.' Using LWT (as it happens that is exactly what I am doing right now), I can choose between 2 sets of dictionaries, one being the LSJ and/or the Middle Liddell and all their given definitions, the other being a Logeion view of LSJ and the Middle Liddell. Not to mention the Diccionario Griego-Español , which is in progress and not available for every word, as well as a Dutch-Greek Dictionary whose name escapes me, which is also, apparently, in progress.
One would also hope the new viewer can track the words the individual has looked up (apparently one can). One also longs for somewhere to write one's own notes, to insert other notes, diagrams or pictures, and to set side-by-side a translation of the text. If memory serves, it's been a few years, LingQ allows for notes and pictures to be inserted, so I'm not asking for anything revolutionary. Another model might be OneNote, which allows for a kind of free-form way of note taking.
One does applaud Crane for his initiative, at any rate, and wish the project well.

Edit one time to correct spelling.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Re: new Perseus 5.0 reading environment for Greek and Latin under development

Postby mcthulhu » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:53 am

I have no connection to the project, but you could try asking whether they've looked at LWT's user interface.

BTW, have you tested the Alpheios extension in the Pale Moon browser? It's a Firefox offshoot that aims to continue support for traditional Firefox XUL extensions even though Firefox itself is moving away from them; so there's a chance that older extensions might work there.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:22 pm

mcthulhu wrote:BTW, have you tested the Alpheios extension in the Pale Moon browser? It's a Firefox offshoot that aims to continue support for traditional Firefox XUL extensions even though Firefox itself is moving away from them; so there's a chance that older extensions might work there.

No, I have not tested Pale Moon, nor even heard of it. I will give it a shot. Thanks.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Bump. To update the Perseus 5.0 reading environment for Greek and Latin.
Much development has taken place with this project. The environment that the developers created is called Scaife. Sahmilat mentions it in a couple of posts. This is his second post: 2nd Post

In effect, Scaife can display parallel texts in Ancient Greek and Latin. It looks also as if they plan to add other languages, such as Persian :?: .
A brief, 3 minute, 15 second, video on Youtube gives an overview in English:
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”