Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Discuss technical problems and features here
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi! This is a technical problem regarding our beloved Anki. I'm creating simple cards:

sideA: text
sideB: text + audio from an mp3 file.

I'm synchronizing with AnkiWeb, I have Windows 8 and I don't have any addons installed. I'd love to give more information about the issue, but the windows only says "Anki has stopped". Currently I'm working with two decks that I made myself. Is there any way to search for bugs in the cards? In the Anki sub in Reddit the suggested me to create another profile, but wouldn't I lose my scheduled cards that way?

I've tried installing the 2.1 Beta version, but I lose my progress and tags with it.

Thank you very much in advance.
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Anki 2.0.44 crashes. No addons installed.

Postby Xenops » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 pm

astromule wrote:Hi! This is a technical problem regarding our beloved Anki. I'm creating simple cards:

I'm synchronizing with AnkiWeb, I have Windows 8 and I don't have any addons installed. I'd love to give more information about the issue, but the windows only says "Anki has stopped". Currently I'm working with two decks that I made myself. Is there any way to search for bugs in the cards? In the Anki sub in Reddit the suggested me to create another profile, but wouldn't I lose my scheduled cards that way?

I've tried installing the 2.1 Beta version, but I lose my progress and tags with it.

I'm sorry to read that! I lost about 200 cards last month, with a different issue. Currently my deck on my Mac is working okay.

You can create a new profile and not loose the old one: but the cards won't switch over. My computer automatically does backups of Anki (it might be just an Anki thing), so you might have backups some where in your computer?
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:38 pm

I have been dealing with this create a new profile for more than 1 year. Initially I got nervous, now I do not care. I just close it a couple time and the problem is gone until the next time that might be several weeks later. It seems to be fake news!? ja ja ja... :lol:
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Couple of things.

1. According to the explanation Anki gives (https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/beta.html)
the beta version uses the same scheduling, syncing and file format as Anki 2.0.x, so you can upgrade and downgrade at will.
Shouldn't this mean you won't lose tags, etc., if you upgrade?

2. If you want, you can email me a copy of your deck, or part of your deck, if that is possible, and I will try to run it on my machine. Though I am using Windows 10, and I am not by any means an Anki expert. If you want to try this, let me know and I will PM my email address to you.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Export the cards into an excel file, check that all the mp3 files are present and working. I suspect that one of the mp3 files is corrupt and cannot be read and that is what is crashing the system.

An absent mp3 file won't crash the app, but one that has issues during replay may.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Thank you! Is there a way to correctly visualize the cards as CSV? Because I'm exporting them into .txt, opening them with LibreCalc and seeing something like this: <div>Vi har forsøgt at give dig (gí-dái) et solidt udgangspunkt (úd-gangs-pónkt)</div>[sound:08 (17).mp3]

EDIT 1: I have installed https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1589071665 It's better, but is there any way to filter in one column all the mp3 files? To see if one is missing or not? How can I detect if a file is corrupted?

EDIT 2: I went to "tools>check database; check media" and it seems that there were some audio files without a card. Perhaps that was causing the problem? I'll have to use it for a while to see.

zenmonkey wrote:Export the cards into an excel file, check that all the mp3 files are present and working. I suspect that one of the mp3 files is corrupt and cannot be read and that is what is crashing the system.

An absent mp3 file won't crash the app, but one that has issues during replay may.
Last edited by astromule on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Yes, gladly. Send me your email, if you want. :)

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Couple of things.

1. According to the explanation Anki gives (https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/beta.html)
the beta version uses the same scheduling, syncing and file format as Anki 2.0.x, so you can upgrade and downgrade at will.
Shouldn't this mean you won't lose tags, etc., if you upgrade?

2. If you want, you can email me a copy of your deck, or part of your deck, if that is possible, and I will try to run it on my machine. Though I am using Windows 10, and I am not by any means an Anki expert. If you want to try this, let me know and I will PM my email address to you.
1 x

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Sorry to hear that! In my case is not that bad. I usually lose around 5 cards when I'm creating them.

Xenops wrote:
astromule wrote:Hi! This is a technical problem regarding our beloved Anki. I'm creating simple cards:

I'm sorry to read that! I lost about 200 cards last month, with a different issue. Currently my deck on my Mac is working okay.

You can create a new profile and not loose the old one: but the cards won't switch over. My computer automatically does backups of Anki (it might be just an Anki thing), so you might have backups some where in your computer?
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 pm

astromule wrote:Yes, gladly. Send me your email, if you want. :)

I just sent it to you.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 am

After "tools>check database; check media" it seems that the crash issue while creating new cards with audio has disappeared. Thank you all for your help!
2 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”