The U.S.: West Coast versus East Coast

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

The U.S.: West Coast versus East Coast

Postby Xenops » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 am

It occurred to me that if I'm contemplating moving overseas, then I should try moving to a different part of the U.S., to see if I can acclimate to the culture, and grow to like the change. I've only lived west of the Rockies, and as I'm looking for jobs for when I graduate in medical laboratory science in August, perhaps I should look also on the East side. I can't say I'm very interested in the South, because they have the Southern culture, and not many speakers of foreign languages, and...chiggers. Water moccasins. Copper heads. Ticks, etc. For what it's worth, I have been to Arkansas and Louisiana, but not east of those.

For people that have seen both parts of the country, what should I consider? I had heard that the East Coast bares a resemblance to Europe, as the people don't smile as much, and they actually have old buildings. Thoughts?

Should I actually get an interview somewhere, I really plan to fly there to see if I even like the place. ;)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Re: The U.S.: West Coast versus East Coast

Postby schlaraffenland » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:28 am

Xenops wrote:For people that have seen both parts of the country, what should I consider? I had heard that the East Coast bares a resemblance to Europe, as the people don't smile as much, and they actually have old buildings. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: As for the U.S., I have only ever lived on the West Coast. But I've been up and down the eastern seaboard throughout my life. The cultural differences are real ... whether they're tenable for you will probably just be a matter of gut reaction.

It's difficult for me to imagine living on the East Coast. I feel like if I'm going to make a major change in my living conditions and switch up the culture as well, then I really want it to be a move abroad to offset what I'd be losing. I really like having access to excellent Asian food, redwood trees, and not having to deal with strange things like "storm windows." In other words, I am a very spoiled Californian.

On the other hand, buildings built before 1906 are pretty cool, along with the fact that they can be built from brick (!). And if one has to trade in the benefits of having access to particular subcultures dictated by particular immigration patterns, one probably gains in other ways. E.g., perhaps there is a less perceptible Vietnamese/Korean/Chinese presence in certain East Coast locales, but much better access to Ethiopian/Polish/Turkish-American culture.

Probably best to go during February or August to see things at their meteorological extremes and to see if you can imagine living with that for weeks on end ;)
4 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Xenops wrote:Should I actually get an interview somewhere, I really plan to fly there to see if I even like the place. ;)
You'd be shocked how many people, Millennials especially, move to Portland without having visited first. Thanks Portlandia :evil:

I've lived in Portland, OR most of my life, visited Seattle countless times, lived in New York City, Bronxville (which is just outside of NYC), and have visited the Boston area with the intent on figure out if I wanted to live there. I honestly don't know that there's a region of the US that I'd actually want to live in. I have a friend moving to a neighborhood just outside of Chicago that she thinks I'd probably feel comfortable in on a number of levels, but otherwise my plans are steered towards moving to Europe - hopefully for grad school and then I'll see from there.
I think the idea of East Coast vs West Coast is pretty flawed. A. The various regions within the two coasts are pretty different from each other culturally, and b. the demographics of some of the major cities are vastly different. Never mind that even within those regions the cities feel very different from each other.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:22 pm

aokoye wrote:
Xenops wrote:Should I actually get an interview somewhere, I really plan to fly there to see if I even like the place. ;)

I think the idea of East Coast vs West Coast is pretty flawed. A. The various regions within the two coasts are pretty different from each other culturally, and b. the demographics of some of the major cities are vastly different. Never mind that even within those regions the cities feel very different from each other.

This, a thousand times.

Also, Xenops, you forgot alligators in the south :D
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Xenops wrote:It occurred to me that if I'm contemplating moving overseas, then I should try moving to a different part of the U.S....

Have you tried moving to a different part of your city? I've lived in 10 different suburbs in Hong Kong and Sydney, and every time, my lifestyle changes and so does my mood.

Sometimes I check out places with Google Map Street View.
5 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Boston Metropolitan Area*
NYC*
Raleigh-Durham Triangle Area, NC*
Baltimore-DC Corridor*
Atlanta
Chicago
Bay Area*

All areas of interest with significant airports to get the f out when needed. I spent time in each of the * . And would recommend, each has pluses and minuses.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:23 pm

Xenops wrote:... not many speakers of foreign languages,
If you're moving to a new part of the country, you could make having an Alliance Française one of your requirements.
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:00 pm

At least in Europe one can't tell whether a place is good to live until you've actually lived there. Berlin was nice for a summer, but got utterly depressing once the unbearably long and cold winters hit. Also, a couple of blocks can make a huge difference - even good neighbourhoods can have bad streets, and vice versa. Some neighbourhoods that seem bad on a visit are actually very friendly when you live there. It's very hard to predict beforehand.
5 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 pm

aokoye; Bronxville??? I grew up in Bronxville, NY.
///////////////////
And now I live north of Bronxville in Somers, NY. I am married, retired, and it is reallllly quiet and Conservative here. Like people driving around with BIG American flags on their pickups.

I have had Lymes Disease four times; we are the epicenter of the Lymes Disease for the country; but there are lots of trails and a laid back life style.

And in White Plains there is an Alliance Francaise there. White Plains might be a very good choice for you with more happening.

Notation:
I am not Conservative, nor do I own a pickup truck and drive around with a huge American flag.
Last edited by Carmody on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:07 am

Well, I had this cool, long post where I replied to everyone...And I lost it. :lol: :cry: Thank you for your input everyone, it is helpful.

In short, I just really need to move out of Idaho. I've lived in three cities that rank as Idaho's 3rd, 5th, and 7th most populated city, for at least a year each, and they all feel the same (I know 5 and 7 have populations of 35,000 and 54,000, respectively). None of them have Asian food markets. There are very few native speakers of anything other than English and Spanish in such cities. In fact, number 7 still has an active white supremest group. 7 and 5 (Coeur d'Alene and Idaho Falls, respectively) both have very little ethnic diversity, despite being almost 500 miles apart. I considered Boise, since I have friends there, but I deemed it too small.

I have been to Seattle many times, but I feel like I've seen all there is to see. Plus, I associate bad memories with it now. Portland I have been to, and I am still considering looking there for jobs, or somewhere in Oregon. I visited SLC recently, and I found it a classy place, but I am not finding jobs with regular day-shift hours. I confess I don't know much about the East Coast as far as current culture, and my OP shows my naïveté, but I think (part) of my reasoning still stands: whether I go to Portland or Boston, I need know if I can move out of my comfortable culture and adjust to a new one, and enjoy it. Plus, I really want to be by the ocean again: I've lived 20 years stranded inland, it's time to be by the sea again (cue Legolas hearing the seagulls).

And, there's the adventurous spirit burning in me: I could leave the West Coast? What's Boston like?
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “Travel and Culture”