Arnaud's lazy log (Russian & co)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Arnaud's lazy log

Postby reineke » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

What goes around comes around. I am of course referring to the dreaded dictées.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Russian:
I'm reading the texts from the textbook обсуждаем глобальные проблемы and listening to the podcasts of In russian terms, to gain more vocabulary on "society subjects". I don't understand all the podcasts, it depends of the subject, so perhaps I'll buy the transcripts later. I also continue to listen to one podcast of Mayak every day. So I listen to 1 hour of russian minimum per day.
But I'm not satisfied with my level of audio understanding, it's really too low for the time invested.

I'm also "working" on the verbal aspect by reading Виды русского глагола by Караванов and the book of Forsyth: one gives rules with tons of easy exercices (no keys for the exercises but they are more or less "forced" so you don't need the keys) and the other is more a theoritical discussion on the aspect. Both are interesting, but I don't know if knowing all that is really helpful in real life when you write or talk: I've already read several other books on the subject and I'm still often at a loss when choosing the aspect of the verbs...

I've also noticed that the episodes 440 to 480 of Luntik are almost all subtitled in russian on YT (not all, but a great majority), I don't know if I've already mentioned it...
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Arnaud wrote:Russian:
I'm reading the texts from the textbook обсуждаем глобальные проблемы and listening to the podcasts of In russian terms, to gain more vocabulary on "society subjects". I don't understand all the podcasts, it depends of the subject, so perhaps I'll buy the transcripts later.

Just out of curiosity I've listened to Podcast 47 “Seven Cool Russian Expressions”. In my opinion there is only one “cool expressions” – “вынос мозга/выносить мозг”. How, for example, “нерукопожатный” got in the list I can’t really grasp. I’ve never seen or heard the phrase “ОБС пресс”, usually it is just “ОБС” (but maybe on some politic forums the phrase is used? I don’t know). The phrase about “white coat” usually is addressed to somebody who acts like s/he has a moral superiority to other presenting people. The word “г**но” isn’t so widely used in everyday life. And so on.
There is Chernomyrdin’s more well-known remark: “Хотели как лучше, а получилось как всегда” :D It could be probably said about the podcast.
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:22 pm

aaleks wrote:Just out of curiosity I've listened to Podcast 47 “Seven Cool Russian Expressions”. In my opinion there is only one “cool expressions” – “вынос мозга/выносить мозг”. How, for example, “нерукопожатный” got in the list I can’t really grasp. I’ve never seen or heard the phrase “ОБС пресс”, usually it is just “ОБС” (but maybe on some politic forums the phrase is used? I don’t know). The phrase about “white coat” usually is addressed to somebody who acts like s/he has a moral superiority to other presenting people. The word “г**но” isn’t so widely used in everyday life. And so on.
There is Chernomyrdin’s more well-known remark: “Хотели как лучше, а получилось как всегда” :D It could be probably said about the podcast.
Noted, thanks. For the time being, I've been listening to the first 20 episodes only.
For "cool expressions" and teen slang there is another podcast called Очень по-русски that is certainly closer to the current language and russian reality (I've also watched a few teens-geared series to have a sampling of how the language is tortured by the youngsters). I'm listening to that podcast because it's close to my current level of understanding, it's always difficult to find something not too easy nor too difficult.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Wed May 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Russian
I've put Голова профессора Доуэля on the back burner and I'm currently reading жажда by Андрей Геласимов.
The text is relatively easy to read except for one character who speaks like a pig and uses a lot of slang (welcome on the planet на фиг): I have to regularly check the french translation not to be lost, but otherwise the book is okay. The text is short, so the torture won't last for long :lol:

I've watched the 2 seasons of Закон каменных джунглей... Sensitive souls refrain...I probably wouldn't watch that kind of program in french more than 10 minutes, but in russian all the emotional side of the vulgar language disappears as it's not my mother tongue and I don't understand all. Remain the good soundtrack, the energy and the "Spaghetti Western" side of the series: the bad guys are very bad. Nonetheless, I think the next series will be something more classic...
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:58 am

How's it going Arnaud? I wanted to ask, out of the books that you've read which would you recommend to other Russian learners (i.e. me ;))?
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt

Postby Arnaud » Fri May 12, 2017 4:17 pm

neofight78 wrote:How's it going Arnaud? I wanted to ask, out of the books that you've read which would you recommend to other Russian learners (i.e. me ;))?
But I can't recommand anything !!! :lol: :mrgreen:
I've only read two children books, a few short stories and gave up all the other books because they were too difficult or I lacked motivation.
I think Жажда that I mentionned yesterday will be the third book that I can finish (I've read 50% in one week, it's moving along fine)
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Fair do's! :lol: I admire your persistence, it takes a long time to get to the point that reading in Russian is tolerable (at least for me). I'm only just able to get started reading now, and that's only with the help of technology.

50% in one week is good going though! :)

If you're on goodreads or want to sign up my profile is here: https://www.goodreads.com/neofight78

Mutual support is important in the face of the merciless enemy that is reading Russian fiction! :D
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sat May 13, 2017 11:05 am

neofight78 wrote:Mutual support is important in the face of the merciless enemy that is reading Russian fiction!

Oh yes! I'm only reading translations right now because properly Russian stuff seriously does my head in with word order. I feel like I'm getting only about one properly mad Russian sentence a page and that's more than enough for me :oops:
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat May 13, 2017 12:39 pm

blaurebell wrote:... does my head in with word order.

As a native Russian speaker I have some doubts that the Russian language has any word order at all :lol: . It seems the language too flexible. I guess it is one of the things that make Russian difficult to learn.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”