Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby Ani » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:39 am

I did it!! I did it!! I installed LWT!! It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes, which was a full hour longer than it should have taken. I have an important tech tip for anyone else planning to install it. DON'T READ THE MEZZOFANTI GUILD POST. It is wrong and it will make you waste time searching the internet for answers when you should really just start over again with the right directions. The right directions are right on the sourceforge LWT page and they worked perfectly first time through for me.

I converted a book to txt and imported it as 792 fifty sentence texts. I guess that's how it is done? I need to figure out the dictionary thing. I need a French-French dictionary instead of google translate. My internet is crawling today though so no more searching the web for answers. I think I need a new router. I feel like I am on dialup. Clearly the end of the world :-p

I mentioned elsewhere, but not in my own log, that I started Clozemaster yesterday. I love the game sounds and it makes a pretty good time killer. I am doing the Fast Track to Fluency course on text input. That course contains just one sentence per unique word so there are about 30 thousandish sentences for French. It is lower than I would have thought actually because it counts every verb form as well as singular/plural forms as separate words. That means even with 120k sentences in total for French, it doesn't contain a high number of unique words all together.

Oh and Joyous Pascha to anyone celebrating today :) We have the coolest celebration for Language Geeks today in our church called Agape Vespers. The Gospel is read in any language a parish member is willing to read in (some Priests have drawn the line at Klingon). I read last year in French. I am too pregnant to be interested in reading this year (I was hoping not to even be able to be there today!). Next year I am going to pick a completely new language and spend a little time learning the phonology. There is a cool audio resource with native speakers reading the particular Gospel for this service in different languages to help anyone who might like to try. It is found
here on Ancient Faith Radio I'm thinking Finnish or Afrikaans..
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Snow
Orange Belt
Languages: Tagalog (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate), Korean (upper beginner)

Postby Snow » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 am

Ani wrote:I did it!! I did it!! I installed LWT!! It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes, which was a full hour longer than it should have taken. I have an important tech tip for anyone else planning to install it. DON'T READ THE MEZZOFANTI GUILD POST. It is wrong and it will make you waste time searching the internet for answers when you should really just start over again with the right directions. The right directions are right on the sourceforge LWT page and they worked perfectly first time through for me.

Emphasis mine. Bwahaha I definitely agree! Just read the instructions on sourceforge and save yourself some time. I got EasyPHP 16 at first because the blog said to download the latest version. But that didn't work on my Windows 7 PC. So I went to LWT's official sourceforge page and it said to download 14.1 VC, so I did and can enjoy LWT now. I guess it still depends on one's operating system. But whoever wants to try using LWT, just read the official instructions. They also have a step-by-step video guide!
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:10 am

Ani wrote:I did it!! I did it!! I installed LWT!! It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes, which was a full hour longer than it should have taken. I have an important tech tip for anyone else planning to install it. DON'T READ THE MEZZOFANTI GUILD POST. It is wrong and it will make you waste time searching the internet for answers when you should really just start over again with the right directions. The right directions are right on the sourceforge LWT page and they worked perfectly first time through for me.

I converted a book to txt and imported it as 792 fifty sentence texts. I guess that's how it is done? I need to figure out the dictionary thing. I need a French-French dictionary instead of google translate. My internet is crawling today though so no more searching the web for answers. I think I need a new router. I feel like I am on dialup. Clearly the end of the world :-p

I mentioned elsewhere, but not in my own log, that I started Clozemaster yesterday. I love the game sounds and it makes a pretty good time killer. I am doing the Fast Track to Fluency course on text input. That course contains just one sentence per unique word so there are about 30 thousandish sentences for French. It is lower than I would have thought actually because it counts every verb form as well as singular/plural forms as separate words. That means even with 120k sentences in total for French, it doesn't contain a high number of unique words all together.

Oh and Joyous Pascha to anyone celebrating today :) We have the coolest celebration for Language Geeks today in our church called Agape Vespers. The Gospel is read in any language a parish member is willing to read in (some Priests have drawn the line at Klingon). I read last year in French. I am too pregnant to be interested in reading this year (I was hoping not to even be able to be there today!). Next year I am going to pick a completely new language and spend a little time learning the phonology. There is a cool audio resource with native speakers reading the particular Gospel for this service in different languages to help anyone who might like to try. It is found
here on Ancient Faith Radio I'm thinking Finnish or Afrikaans..

I'm curious to see how you find LWT.

My vote is for Afrikaans ;)
0 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:53 am

Ani wrote:I am too pregnant to be interested in reading this year

That might be my favorite sentence of the day.

Congrats on installing LWT. I remember when I installed it a year or so ago that I had a problem with one step that took me a while to figure out. Anyways, hopefully you like it! I don't use it with french anymore because I don't really feel like I need it, but I may start typing up my Russian Assimil lessons into LWT just to get some type of base level vocab in there for when I finally start to read other materials in Russian.

I'm glad you liked Central park. Musso has a really convenient, flowing writing style, so his books are good for the lazy days, or for the intermediate learners like me :D
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 am

Ani wrote:some Priests have drawn the line at Klingon
I was browsing the Duolingo website the other day, they actually have a Klingon course! :shock:
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Ani wrote:some Priests have drawn the line at Klingon
I was browsing the Duolingo website the other day, they actually have a Klingon course! :shock:

But it is not ready yet. Probably won't be for a while.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 am

Snow wrote:Emphasis mine. Bwahaha I definitely agree! Just read the instructions on sourceforge and save yourself some time. I got EasyPHP 16 at first because the blog said to download the latest version. But that didn't work on my Windows 7 PC. So I went to LWT's official sourceforge page and it said to download 14.1 VC, so I did and can enjoy LWT now. I guess it still depends on one's operating system. But whoever wants to try using LWT, just read the official instructions. They also have a step-by-step video guide!

Yup! And it is not just the version issue, but also the directory structure for unpacking the zip files. Basically 100% opposite of making things easier.
PeterMollenburg wrote:I'm curious to see how you find LWT.

My vote is for Afrikaans ;)

I will keep you posted on LWT :) I just have to figure out how to input the definitions more conveniently and I think it will be great for occasional French use + Russian when I get to it. Afrikaans would be super cool. More of a challenge than Finnish, I think, but I have a whole year to figure it out and practice. It is funny that when you see Afrikaans written it is often partially transparent due to English, but listening to it.. whoa.

Fortheo wrote:
Ani wrote:I am too pregnant to be interested in reading this year

That might be my favorite sentence of the day.

Ha! Says the one who doesn't feel like a walrus.. ;)

Fortheo wrote:Congrats on installing LWT. I remember when I installed it a year or so ago that I had a problem with one step that took me a while to figure out. Anyways, hopefully you like it! I don't use it with french anymore because I don't really feel like I need it, but I may start typing up my Russian Assimil lessons into LWT just to get some type of base level vocab in there for when I finally start to read other materials in Russian.

I'm glad you liked Central park. Musso has a really convenient, flowing writing style, so his books are good for the lazy days, or for the intermediate learners like me :D

I happened to also buy Seras-tu là ? and La fille de papier (because I have impulse control problems when it comes to books...) and I am excited to have more of his books to read. Russian is kinda why I installed it LWT (although I am pretty far away from using it yet!). I am thinking it might be useful in French though if I put in news and political articles. I popped in a book about politics to start with. It is not my favorite subject at all so I have both vocabulary and cultural gaps in those areas. Small bites with LWT might actually work out for that purpose.

DaveBee wrote:I was browsing the Duolingo website the other day, they actually have a Klingon course! :shock:

IronMike wrote:But it is not ready yet. Probably won't be for a while.

That's funny. I'll have to check that out when it is done.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 am

Baby baby baby! Baby baby baby!!

I was gong to post a picture but they are all weird and he won't open his eyes :)

Anyway William is here after an hour and 10 minutes of labor. I did point out that William is a bit hard to pronounce in the flow of French speech. DH says I should just call him Guillaume :)

Now I get to lay in bed with a smushy warm baby and study languages for two weeks hooray :-D
22 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 am

Ani wrote:William is here after an hour and 10 minutes of labor.

Congratulations! And a name that I heartily approve of! An hour and ten minutes is impressive, if you can learn languages with the same amount of effectiveness you'll be a hyperglot in no time! :D
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 am

neofight78 wrote:
Ani wrote:William is here after an hour and 10 minutes of labor.

Congratulations! And a name that I heartily approve of! An hour and ten minutes is impressive, if you can learn languages with the same amount of effectiveness you'll be a hyperglot in no time! :D

That would be totally awesome :) (and it would hurt a lot less too lol)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”