Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:54 pm

This week seems to have gone pretty quickly.

I've been working my way through another few articles with LWT. I'm quite enjoying it because there are actually lots of really well-written articles on Deutsche Welle that I would like to read, but never normally get around to. As well as the article about the Balkan podcast, this week I've read this one about new border controls at the Slovenian border causing havoc for tourists and I'm halfway through this one about the protests in Serbia. LWT is still slow going, because it thinks slobodno, slobodnog, slobodnom etc are all different words, so it is taking ages to mark all the various forms I know, but I'm definitely making progress.

I'm still doing Serbian Glossika, but I've only just finished track 35. My trigger for listening to it is normally getting off the train in Birmingham in the morning, because each lesson is about 20 minutes and I can make the walk from the train station to my office last 20 minutes. But that only works on days when I'm going to Birmingham, which for example was only two days last week. I need to think of some additional ways I can incorporate it into my routine.

My new language learning strategy is to copy what Brun Ugle does, so I've just started experimenting with Clozemaster again :lol: I did already have an account but I'm not sure I've completely got the hang of it yet. There aren't as many sentences for Croatian as there are for a lot of other languages, but there are more sentences for Serbian, so I guess I can work through the Croatian ones first and then do the Serbian ones.

I'm curious as to where the sentences come from, because some of them are a bit unexpected.

I'm still slowly working my way through the Croatian book I mentioned a couple of weeks ago; 'Slušaj i gledaj, Latice'. I didn't really read any of it last weekend because I was away from home and it was too big to bring with me, but I'm hoping to make more progress now it's Easter :)

I've watched about six episodes of 'Larin izbor' this week and I think there are only about 14 left until the end of the series. I know it's going to have a happy ending, but I can't see yet how it's going to happen.

Unexpectedly, I've actually been listening to more German this week than Croatian. First of all I was listening to some of those Balkan podcasts I mentioned, and then my boyfriend and I have been watching a DVD he bought me for Christmas of Ken Follett's 'Die Säulen der Erde'. It's dubbed into German with English subtitles, so we can both enjoy it :)

I've slipped with writing in Croatian every day over Easter, but I'm still doing much better than I normally do. I've got about 2,000 words for the month so far; if I could keep this up, my writing total for the year would be quite respectable :)
5 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 pm

Oh my that sentence would be unexpected. Making a mental note that clozemaster is not kid safe.
I've heard it is the Tatoeba database.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:21 pm

If you're copying whatever I'm doing, you're going to be in trouble. I've been slacking off ever since the end of the last 6WC. I really need to get going again, but I'm so tired all the time. And then I get bursts of energy and can't sit still. I'm not being at all productive and I feel like I'm forgetting everything. Clozemaster is good because I can do a round in a minute or two, which is about the length of my attention span at the moment.
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I've been slacking off ever since the end of the last 6WC. I really need to get going again, but I'm so tired all the time.

Same here! Basically anything beyond watching TL TV and reading TL comics seems too much for me these days. Brain not braining! :roll: I think I may have overdone it a little with the Russian during the 6WC.
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:41 pm

I definitely wouldn't recommend Clozemaster for kids - I've had three sentences with F-words in this evening :shock: Although it would be interesting to know whether the other languages also have these kind of sentences or whether it's just that there is a lot of swearing in Croatian :lol:

Hope everyone feels better/more productive soon! I guess it's good that the 6WC is six weeks on and six weeks off so that there's time to recover and prioritise other stuff. I always enjoy reading other people's logs and stealing ideas for new things to try anyway :)
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 am

blaurebell wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I've been slacking off ever since the end of the last 6WC. I really need to get going again, but I'm so tired all the time.

Same here! Basically anything beyond watching TL TV and reading TL comics seems too much for me these days. Brain not braining! :roll: I think I may have overdone it a little with the Russian during the 6WC.

I think it's a combination of spring fever, stress, lack of sleep, and the fact that I finished FSI Spanish. It was the center of my universe for so long that I'm a little lost without it. It's weird because I have plenty of other things to do; I'm just not doing them. I think the main problem is spring though. It always throws me off balance.

Radioclare wrote:I definitely wouldn't recommend Clozemaster for kids - I've had three sentences with F-words in this evening :shock: Although it would be interesting to know whether the other languages also have these kind of sentences or whether it's just that there is a lot of swearing in Croatian :lol:

Hope everyone feels better/more productive soon! I guess it's good that the 6WC is six weeks on and six weeks off so that there's time to recover and prioritise other stuff. I always enjoy reading other people's logs and stealing ideas for new things to try anyway :)

I haven't come across anything very rude yet in my various languages. Maybe something like "I don't give a damn," but nothing like what you've been seeing. I'm doing a whole bunch of languages and language combinations. For example, I'm learning both Spanish and German through English, but I'm also learning both of them through each other. I'm hoping it will make me better at switching between them.
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 am

In Russian I've only seen a few rather harmless insults and a couple of hells and damns. I'm used to hearing way more awful language from Russian-Germans in Germany :roll: I haven't seen any of the really strong insults or any sentences like the one you came across!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:06 am

Just in case you don't already know, you can ignore any sentences you don't like. You can also report sentences if they are wrong, but I don't know what the policy on reporting things is when they are not wrong but just nasty.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:58 pm

Radioclare wrote:I definitely wouldn't recommend Clozemaster for kids - I've had three sentences with F-words in this evening :shock: Although it would be interesting to know whether the other languages also have these kind of sentences or whether it's just that there is a lot of swearing in Croatian :lol:

It's Slavic. They swear a lot.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Just in case you don't already know, you can ignore any sentences you don't like. You can also report sentences if they are wrong, but I don't know what the policy on reporting things is when they are not wrong but just nasty.

I thought you had to be pro to do that! Thankfully I've not had any bad language in my sentences, but I would say they're still not very kid friendly. Tom's led a hard life!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”