Assimil Hebrew

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Henry
Languages: English (N), Spanish, French, German

Assimil Hebrew

Postby Henry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:19 am

I have recently finished the FSI Hebrew course and am thinking about using Assimil to compliment what I've already learned. Has anyone used Assimil Hebrew? Is the older L'Hebreu Sans Peine better than the current course, or is it not worth the hassle to find a copy?
0 x

Speakeasy
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C2). Studying: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Dutch, Polish, and Russian; all with widely varying degrees of application, enthusiasm, and success.

Re: Assimil Hebrew

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:02 pm

I conducted a quick search of this forum and came up with the following discussion thread which you might find interesting:

Modern Hebrew Questions
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3039

One member, Seneca, made direct reference to Assimil Hebrew:
Seneca wrote:I have read the Assimil course is solid, though only 85 lessons. Perhaps that combined with finding a news site with transcripts could keep you busy a while.

There are numerous discussion threads on the HTLAL forum wherein resources for Hebrew are discussed; however, it seems that there were more questions posed concerning Assimil Hebrew than there were answers.

The Amazon.FR Customer Reviews of Assimil Hebrew are very positive.
https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=assimil+l'hebreu&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aassimil+l'hebreu
0 x

Henry

Postby Henry » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:58 pm

I looked through the older posts, but I was unable to find any detailed opinions on the older program vs the newer program. I guess that's really what I'm looking for.
0 x

zenmonkey
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew (A0), Italian (A1), Ladino (A0), (Yiddish, Portuguese) ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 am

I don't know about the older one, but am currently using the newer one. I like it, but use it as a complement currently. Ask away.
The older ones are likely less useful unless you get access to the tapes or sound files.
0 x
inconsistency incarnate
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

PfifltriggPi
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: English
B2+: Québécois, Esperanto
B2: Castellano, Català
B1: Lingua Latīna
A1: Ἡλληνική
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:39 pm

One thing I wish to point out with Assimil is that a higher number of lessons equals neither higher quality nor more actual text in the target language. Just because the new Hebrew book only has eighty-five lessons doesn't necessarily make it bad. (Nor does it necessarily make it good, either.)
0 x
"All our words, through loose using, have lost their edge" - Earnest Hemmingway

Henry

Postby Henry » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm

How far into the course are you?
0 x

Thunter
Yellow Belt
Languages: -

Postby Thunter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am

The course is worth studying it. I already worked through it.

By the way don't wonder about that I say that my current Hebrew is about A2.
It's not because I'm really at that level, but because I didn't have much practise via Skype
and generally prefer to say that my level is low instead of exaggerating.
0 x

stormj
White Belt
Languages: English (N), español (C1), עברית (intermediate), Arabic (beginner), 中文 (HSK 2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5798

Postby stormj » Sat May 06, 2017 10:53 pm

It really depends on what your purpose is. If you just want to make a successful trip to Israel, English will get you through 95% of situations and if your Hebrew sounds halting most natives will just switch to English on you.

FSI Hebrew is, frankly, out of date. It's not wrong or anything, and if you master it, you'll understand a lot. But Israelis are not formal people.

But if you're interested in liturgical or Biblical Hebrew, ymmv on whether Modern is a waste of time. The difference is roughly the same (and often parallel) to the differences between dialectical Arabic and fusha. Of course if you're in it for that, reads knowledge is all you need and listening/speaking drills are largely superfluous.

Assimil Hebrew, the new one, is a good program. I still think the best bet is to use that as a start and then get a text and a teacher from an Ulpan if you can't attend one.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”