Old Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: Un voyage français

Postby rlnv » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:50 pm

kimchizzle wrote:Good luck on your goals. I will be following your progress.

I noticed you had L'étranger on your list of books to read. That is a great book for anyone studying French around your level, since it is in passé composé and the vocabulary is interesting. I found the story interesting as well.

I recommend you to find the book, Soie, by Alessandro Baricco, if you can. It has a great story and the vocabulary and grammar is not too difficult. It is about the same length as L'étranger, so not too long as well.

I liked how you are using Buffy to learn. I had never thought of doing it that way. I may try your method sometime, but with another show, since I'm not a fan of Buffy.

Hi kimchizzle. Actually I've already completed L'étranger. One of the things I really liked about it was the audio I have is read at a comfortable speed, being relatively slow compared to some of the other audio in my queue right now. In my opinion it's a good bridge from the pace of graded book audio to regular book audio.

For Buffy, it's not my first choice for entertainment either! But the reason I find it so valuable is due to the accurate transcripts being available for the entire box set of 8 seasons. I have some other shows that I've purchased from amazon.fr and without accurate sub tittles or transcripts they are too difficult for me at this time. With Buffy, I'm seeing really good results early on. I'm absolutely not blazing any trails here. emk used Buffy with wonderful results as mentioned in his log from a few years back. Really I'm just looking for some of the fastest ways to get from what’s best for me now to what I really want to watch.

Update on 6WC progress:
I have completely lost momentum with my studying over the past few days. The amount of hours I'm working right now is incredible and taking away from quality time with French. This was going to be a big weekend push, but instead I've been working almost non-stop day and night. Now I'm feeling really fatigued and hoping I'll feel better later this evening to get at least 3 hours of study in. Lots of time to catch up!
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:53 am

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 am

Great log. You have been getting me interested in French for reading. You seem to be reading quite a bit and also quite well. Can you explain a bit more about how much you "studied" in that first year? Other than reading the books you listed how did you get to the level where you are? Also, you have read a few of the Lire en Français Facile books. Can you comment on how useful there were/are for you? Thanks again. Great log. Keep up the good work.
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:36 am

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 am

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

James29
Blue Belt
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)

Postby James29 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:25 pm

I'm glad you made those last two posts. That's particularly helpful to see what you have done in the past with your French. I was not clear if you just jumped right into reading or if you had done a lot of courses. It looks like you have done a lot of work. Congratulations on your progress...
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 am

-
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:38 pm

-
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Transition to new study plan

Postby rlnv » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 pm

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

James29
Blue Belt
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)

Postby James29 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:48 pm

I think you are doing the right thing with your "transition." I was really into listening to audio books while following along with the text. I did several books that way. I thought that is what I would do for years and years. I bought several books and audio books for the future. Then I "transitioned" to just regular old reading without the audio. I had seen experienced language learners say that just reading would help me more than following along with the audio. I did not understand why. I get it now... it really is helpful to just read. Now, I have a bunch of audio books that I probably won't ever use.

I am enjoying your log as I am thinking of getting into French and would like to do it more or less the way you have done.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”