Levims' Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Levims

Levims' Log

Postby Levims » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:19 am

I never kept a log myself. But there's always a first time for everything, right?

I'm looking forward to get to intermediate level in french and improve my english.

I'm at that time when you finish school and don't know exactly what you gonna do next. I want to try become a translator, but not necessarily helding spanish as a 2nd language (I think I'll get confuse with portuguese and mix both of them and end up with portunhol) but still wanting a romance language to try so I attempted to learn italian even though I always loved Italian I pondered that will not be very useful at this momemt, I decide to change to french. Equally charming and beautiful. (I don't know if this make sense, but even if it's not I still want to read Les miserables in its mother language)

about the english It's just been a 1 year that I think I reached the intermediate level (I never took any test) I can read and listen a quite well but speaking and writing it's not where I'm so sure. I had what most of the people in high school in Brazil had. Verb to be for a life time. I belive my grammar it's messed up because I spend a amouth of time reading fanfictions and not concentrating in get the things correct. So I intent to go back to the roots and start the grammar from the begining.

For the french I'll use Duolingo/ Assimil and Pimsleur (I found a grammar book on internet so I'll use that too.)

For the english: English Grammar in use

I think that's it for now...
4 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Levims' Log

Postby tomgosse » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:19 am

I added a link to your log to the first second post in Les Voyageurs group. We look forward to following your progress. :D
Bon courage !
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Welcome aboard.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Levims

Postby Levims » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 am

I’ve been away from the forum for a few months and WOW! I thought that I was write to tell that I didn’t do almost anything that I planned to do but surprisely I did. I study kinda on and off but in the last month I really sat down to study.

I tried use Teach yourself French. Didn’t like it. I don’t know what had in it that didn’t make me stick with the course. So I go on with Assimil (Previously used with Italian) and It’s my first time with Pimsleur and so far I’m finding pretty good the little thing that has been bugging me it’s that I depend on my computer to listening to the lessons and this make the process sort of boring. Perks of broken your phone.

I manage to cover all the grammar in my first book but I plan to go back with another one to review. The old one it’s not as good as I thought and when I was approaching the end it got confusing with the key and I decided to drop it.
I’m having a hard time with the conjugations. I find out some French verbs drill to do and I’ll do some tomorrow.

Not really using Duolingo. I always forgot to log in but I still plan to finish the tree.

I forgot how but I got a quebecois penpal!!!

I thought in taking Japanese. But I’m waiting until I’m quite comfortable with French before I spend more time with another language.

:)
2 x

Levims

Postby Levims » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:07 am

1st Week

Saying I was lost was a completly understatement.

Starting to track my time with pomodoro method and surprisely I found myself getting anxious to get everything done before the timer goes off.

This week I got 11.28h. It’s my first challenger ever, It’s a good goal for a newbie like me, isnt it? So I’ll try to reach it again this week. I said on the official post that I was aiming to get a confortable reading but I barely touched any book this week, just a childhood book and few pages of Voyage au centre de la Terre in a grade reader version. I focused more on duolingo. To get that damn owl out of my away. I’m sick tired of see his emails on my box. I’ll finish with this owl this week or my name isn’t Letícia.

I’m kinda confused with the way I should update the bot about my hours. I don’t count the minutes I spend in each activity I just put there the hours as a whole. Not sure If I’m doing it right though.

I did French verb drills. I’m completly in love with it. Didn’t touch Assimil very much. I tried in the first couple days while I was still using Pomodoro’s method and after that I put it aside for a while. Me and Pimsleur had fight and I’m seeing french pod101 now.

I wandered through spotify trying to find a music style in french that appealed me and I think I found it. Rap in french. What a great surprise!

I printed some Edith’s lycris to translate and listen along. I’ll see if I do it. I downloaded the Resident Evil Vendetta dubbed in french and I’m excited to watched it.

One of the thing that keep me from doing more than I think I can do was my college. My classes started also in august. Well It’s going to be during the night but I’m trying to get used to my new schedule (and I was gathering the paperwork to my job. I still can’t believe I got my first job.)

that’s it for now.

‘u’
0 x

Levims

Postby Levims » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:01 am

Morgana wrote:Are the pomodoros still making you anxious? I see you were using them with Assimil. Is it possible you were trying to do too much in the time allotted?

You are right. I think I did in the right way in in the first two rounds, at least and then after the break it just went downhill non stop. Seems like my mind switched to "We need to get this done in 25 or else you'll die" mode and when I realize what I was doing I finished the excercises stressed and shaking. I did it for two days until I stop. But I'll do as you said in this week. Wait for a couple of days and then give it a shot again.

Morgana wrote:11.28 hours for the week is quite respectable! How do you like the Duolingo French tree?

This is good to read. ^.^

Generally I like Duo, I really do. It's just that I get bored easily. I do some of the lessons here and there and forget about it for a few days ... or weeks... And adding this to that I already know the the subject he goes over. So it serve me more as a review.

Morgana wrote:Congrats on your first job!

Thank you so much!!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”