Ingaræð's Language Labyrinth (DE/FR/RU...)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Re: Ingaræð's Yellow Brick Road (DE/FR/RU...)

Postby Ingaræð » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 pm

No worries - at least someone can gain something from my below-average state education. :lol:

Xenops wrote:In the U.S., there is a trend toward Common Core, where the standards are lowered so everyone "succeeds", rather than bringing the suffering students to higher academic standards. Would you say that the case in the UK is similar, or different?

I'd say that's exactly what's happened here, although unofficially.

There used to be a selective system where, at the end of primary school, children could sit the Eleven-plus exam to go to a grammar school ('academic'), or they could go to a technical/vocational school, or a secondary modern. Children at the latter were arguably 'failed' by the system, and there weren't many technical schools. In the '60s, the Labour government effectively abolished the whole system, replacing it with non-selective comprehensive schools. Children were treated equally - now they all got a poorer education, unless you could pay the fees for a public (i.e. private) school. We also have a core curriculum, in terms of compulsory subjects and the topics covered (languages were made optional a few years ago). These days it's really about teaching to tests, so that schools and universities can look good in the league tables. Pupils/students actually learn far less information now.

That's a pretty basic overview. The systems in Scotland and Northern Ireland are a bit different, but the outcome is broadly the same.

I'm just trying to research and ask questions when possible.

Very sensible! I hope you're able to make a good decision in the end. Most people (in the UK, at least) only go to one school, one university. They probably feel their experience/education is fine, as they have nothing to compare with objectively. I've been to more than one, so I have a slightly different perspective.

Best of luck! :D
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Ingaræð wrote:I'm afraid I can't offer anything specifically about medical degrees, but as science A-levels are the 'feeder' qualifications, there has to be a knock-on effect...

Certain medical schools in the UK require students to test in. My friend is studying medicine currently, and she had to jump through quite a few hoops to get in despite having a biology degree and working in a hospital as an HCA. She also has to pass all her tests first try (unless she has extenuating circumstances). So the standards for study are still really high.
4 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Xenops wrote:In the U.S., there is a trend toward Common Core, where the standards are lowered so everyone "succeeds", rather than bringing the suffering students to higher academic standards. Would you say that the case in the UK is similar, or different?
One significant thing about high school level qualifications in the UK is grade inflation. They had to invent a new A* grade.
2 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Ingaræð wrote:

I'd say that's exactly what's happened here, although unofficially.

There used to be a selective system where, at the end of primary school, children could sit the Eleven-plus exam to go to a grammar school ('academic'), or they could go to a technical/vocational school, or a secondary modern. Children at the latter were arguably 'failed' by the system, and there weren't many technical schools. In the '60s, the Labour government effectively abolished the whole system, replacing it with non-selective comprehensive schools. Children were treated equally - now they all got a poorer education, unless you could pay the fees for a public (i.e. private) school. We also have a core curriculum, in terms of compulsory subjects and the topics covered (languages were made optional a few years ago). These days it's really about teaching to tests, so that schools and universities can look good in the league tables. Pupils/students actually learn far less information now.

In my limited opinion, the emphasis on external exams is the absolutely worst part of the British educational system. Students in England don't learn their subjects, they learn to take exams. This happens anywhere in the world there are exams, but in many other places students aren't judged solely on their exam results. On the other hand, I think doing away with selection to make education more equal was a good move, but has been badly implemented due to the unwillingness to invest enough in schools. (I say these things as an American, teaching in England, who has also studied and taught in an international school in India.)

Anyway, I've joined Les Voyageurs, and I'll be following your interesting log! :)
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Sorry for such a newbie question but how do I get those progress bars please? :)
0 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Atinkoriko wrote:Sorry for such a newbie question but how do I get those progress bars please? :)

Item #4 in this FAQ will help you.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 pm

tomgosse wrote:
Atinkoriko wrote:Sorry for such a newbie question but how do I get those progress bars please? :)

Item #4 in this FAQ will help you.

Thanks
1 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 am

The f.lux you told about in another thread is truly great. I really like it. I wanted to thank you again :)

About the schools, I think that it's good to have different types for the different people. and I agree that it shouldn't be just for the exams. In England they are obsessed with the rankings.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:25 pm

vogeltje wrote:The f.lux you told about in another thread is truly great. I really like it. I wanted to thank you again :)

You're welcome. :) Do you use the default profile for viewing the forum, i.e. black writing on a white background? If so, check out the the options under User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> My board style. The 'Digi' option is light writing on a dark background, which I find much easier on the eyes.
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Ingaræð wrote:
vogeltje wrote:The f.lux you told about in another thread is truly great. I really like it. I wanted to thank you again :)

You're welcome. :) Do you use the default profile for viewing the forum, i.e. black writing on a white background? If so, check out the the options under User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> My board style. The 'Digi' option is light writing on a dark background, which I find much easier on the eyes.

Hi

Yes I use the default profile which has black writing on a white background and some grey-blue as well.

the f.lux is great for the evening before sleeping, like you had explained before on that thread, but I use it ealrier also, so on this forum to soften the white for example. I prefer black writing on the laptop, not the light on the dark. But I agree that true white is too bright and makes your eyes become tired.

I will check out the other options, thanks for the infos how to do that. :)
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Return to “Language logs”