A language learners’ forum

Discuss technical problems and features here
TrioLinguist
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), French (B1)

Postby TrioLinguist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Currently displayed as the forum name at the top of every page is:

Shouldn't the apostrophe come before the "-s" since "a language learner" is singular?
0 x
Read 1,000,000 words out of German fiction novels : 1000000 / 1000000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 pm

No, language learners' is plural, and in English for a plural which ends with an s you just use the apostrophe. :)
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

TrioLinguist
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), French (B1)

Postby TrioLinguist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

rdearman wrote:No, language learners' is plural, and in English for a plural which ends with an s you just use the apostrophe. :)

Oh, right, I see that language learners' is being used similarly to an adjective in relation to forum. I feel a little silly about having asked this now since English is my native language, but in my defence, both are possible, but with slightly different nuance. Preposing the "-s" with an apostrophe would be similar to, for example, "an American's guide to Canada". That's how I read it as, so the apostrophe placement struck me as odd at first.
1 x
Read 1,000,000 words out of German fiction novels : 1000000 / 1000000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Ah. I didn't look at your language list when i posted.
:?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

In the alternate reading, if "A" refers to the forum, then I don't see a need for the possessive apostrophe at all. In that case, "language learners" would be an adjective.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm

Tomás wrote:But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

In the alternate reading, if "A" refers to the forum, then I don't see a need for the possessive apostrophe at all. In that case, "language learners" would be an adjective.

That's not the way I parsed it. I parsed it as [A [language learner's [forum]]].
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
Tomás wrote:But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

That's not the way I parsed it. I parsed it as [A [language learner's [forum]]].

I think we agree. I would put the apostrophe either in front of the s, or eliminate it altogether.
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Tomás wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:

I think we agree. I would put the apostrophe either in front of the s, or eliminate it altogether.

It's absolutely correct the way it is, unless one takes the position that "so many people are confused about the rule, and it's been used incorrectly so many times, that wrong is now an alternate form of right."

"A forum for language learners" would eliminate the argument, which might be a good thing since I'm sure it will come up again at some point.
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Tomás
Blue Belt

Postby Tomás » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 am

Why not just eliminate the "A"? It's doing no work there.
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 am

Xmmm wrote:A forum for language learners" would eliminate the argument, which might be a good thing since I'm sure it will come up again at some point.

I think keeping it is a good thing, in order to stimulate more debate about English grammar :P :lol:
3 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”