K-dramas: Here I come!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby Bex » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:31 am

Your new plan sounds more enjoyable. I am finding it much easier and more fun now that I am allowing myself to use more English whilst listening to my target language and repeating stuff less. Don't know why I didn't do it before :roll:

Have you considered using the GSR files for Glossika, it's much less work each day? I started with the GMS system and repeating 50 sentences each day but I found the GSR sticks better because of the multiple repetitions, over more days. GSR is harder at first because it's so much faster but I found it enjoyable by the time I was about half way through level 1....anyway just me and just a thought.

Love reading your log. Keep enjoying your K-Dramas :)
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Bex wrote:Your new plan sounds more enjoyable.

Yeah, it is. Actually, I think my new plan is increasing my motivation, which is great :D

Bex wrote:I am finding it much easier and more fun now that I am allowing myself to use more English whilst listening to my target language and repeating stuff less. Don't know why I didn't do it before :roll:

That's awesome! :mrgreen:

Bex wrote:Have you considered using the GSR files for Glossika, it's much less work each day? I started with the GMS system and repeating 50 sentences each day but I found the GSR sticks better because of the multiple repetitions, over more days. GSR is harder at first because it's so much faster but I found it enjoyable by the time I was about half way through level 1....anyway just me and just a thought.

Yes, I have. I usually get bored with just audio repetitions over several days (I've had bad experiences with similar resources for learning japanese), so I think that's one of the main reasons why I haven't used the GSR files. I think I'll continue this way (working only with the GMS) until I reach the first 100 sentences, then I'll analize my progress and process and decide how to continue (if by then I don't feel happy with my way of studying with Glossika, then I may give the GSR files a chance). And don't worry, I really appreciate advice and suggestions ;)

Bex wrote:Love reading your log. Keep enjoying your K-Dramas :)

Thanks! :D
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 pm

perhaps you could just watch the whole ep with subs then relisten to the episode (well that is if you download the eps) and pick apart Korean in the specific scenes that piqued your interest ( there's a lotta dae-bon floating around) later on doing the rewinding/pausing/etc. I personally just hate re-watching stuff but I do not mind re-listening especially if i run the audio through sub2srs and then join those together.

I personally hate Korean drama and if I do watch it I end up fast-forwarding a lot lol. Anyways I recommend fast-forwarding if any scenes bore you. For some reason in the k-dramas they always have main characters and side characters and sometimes the side characters are older and just plain boring or annoying.... so like for thsoe dramas if I do try to watch it I'll literally skip all scenes with the annoying older people lol.
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Quick update:

- I'm really enjoying the way I work with the drama "Tomorrow With You" (and the dorama itself is becoming more a more interesting with each new episode). It is keeping me highly motivated, which is great.

I've started to notice an unexpected side-effect of this: once a week I practice japanese with a friend using j-dramas and role-playing. Since I started working with the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (with the three 15-minutes segments a day), japanese sounds at normal native speed have become clearer to my ears. It's been very interesting to notice that.

A line of dialogue from the drama "Tomorrow With You" ("I don't know what it is, but I'm not curious to find out") reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from k-drama "Kill Me, Heal Me". The word that triggered the memory sounded like "bunme". Here is the scene from "Kill Me, Heal Me":

"I won't wear it"
"Wear it"
"I won't wear it"
"Wear it"
"I won't wear it, get rid of it"
"I won't get rid of it, wear it"
"I won't wear it, get rid of it"
"I won't get rid of it, wear it"
"I w-w-w-w-won't wear it, g-g-g-g-et rid of it"

This scene is just soooo funny! And the actors ad-libbed the rapping part! :mrgreen:

- After watching a video, I decided to change the way I work with Glossika. This is the video:

I want to try some things first and then I'll come back and tell you about them ;)

- I finished the first bacth of 30 nouns on Memrise. Now I'll start working on the second batch while I continue to review the first one.
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 am

I recommend mining from stuff you actually watched/listened to in Korean like the drama etc... especially nowadays 대본 are available online and you just gotta convert it to .doc and there's blogs that transcribe scenes or you could bother people at lang-8 to transcribe something for you. you don't want to end up like this person on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comment ... selfstudy/

it's possible you're studying the "wrong" words.
if you want to understand drama, mine from drama. if you understand a song, mine from songs, etc etc
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 am

Sayonaroo wrote:I recommend mining from stuff you actually watched/listened to in Korean like the drama etc... especially nowadays 대본 are available online and you just gotta convert it to .doc and there's blogs that transcribe scenes or you could bother people at lang-8 to transcribe something for you. you don't want to end up like this person on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comment ... selfstudy/

it's possible you're studying the "wrong" words.
if you want to understand drama, mine from drama. if you understand a song, mine from songs, etc etc

I appreciate the advice and I understand your point. I may use mining in the future, but right now I don't want to do it. I started less than two months ago and I'm happy with the way I'm studying. I don't want to rush things. The most important thing for me with learning korean is enjoyment (because that's the only way I will stick with it, however long it takes). And I'm really enjoying my studying right now. And I'm also learning. The words I've been learning on Memrise keep appearing time and again in the korean TV I watch and in the songs I listen to. So it is easy to remember them. And even if I don't know each and every word, I'm starting to remember complete expressions from the dorama I'm studying with (in the way I'm studying with it) and I feel my comprehension is enhancing little by little. For now I'm just exploring different possibilities and enjoying the journey. Different people have different methods and different priorities, and is alright. ;)
3 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Yesterday, while watching "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와) I got curious about this word/expression: 하지마. I googled it and found this very interesting website: What's GAJIMA and HAJIMA?.

I ended up learning that 지마 is used to make a verb negative. From my study with Memrise (the first batch of words which included verbs) I remember that 하다 means "to do" and in the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와) one friend was saying to the MMC "don't do it" (they were talking about the possibility of the MMC marrying soon).

After reading the meaning and the blogpost, I remembered a song my sister likes a lot. It starts like this: 미안해 미안해 하지마 (Don't be sorry). And a few weeks ago I found one of my favorite actors making a parody of this song in a short k-drama. The tittle of the song is Eyes, Nose, Lips (눈, 코, 입), which I also find interesting because one of the most frequent nouns I've been studying on Memrise is "eyes" (눈).

I really like times like this when everything feels connected :)

By the way, if you want to listen to the complete song, here it is:

2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm

I've been experimenting a lot these last few days.

- I tried watching three 10 minutes segments twice a day (of the k-drama "Tomorrow With You") but it didn't work as well as the three 15 minutes segments I outlined before. The reason, I think, is because 10 minutes felt too short to immerse in the story and enjoy it the way I could with the 15 minutes segments.

Before going back to the three 15 minutes segments I'll try another experiment:
1) At night, before going to bed: Watch a (no-subbed) 20 minutes new segment. Then, watch the same segment but this time with english subs.
2) The next morning, as soon as I wake up: Watch again the 20 minutes from the previous night (without subs).

- I've also been experimenting with Glossika and I think I'm close to finally settling on a method. One of the things I discovered is that I have to work with Glossika in the mornings because I can't get myself to work with it later in the day. So I'll try to work with Glossika after I finish watching the 20 minutes of the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와).

- I was planning to continue with the next batch of 30 most frequently used nouns but, while reading the parts of speech index, I found that I've been hearing a lot the words classified as "conjunctions". So I created a course for the most frequently used conjuctions (which are only 15 words) and I've been studying it on Memrise.

- I remembered about a course I took at Coursera maybe two years ago and, yesterday, I started reviewing it. The course is called "Learning how to learn" and I remember it gave me really useful insights back in the day. I plan to analize my strategies based on what the course teaches.
2 x

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

AndyMeg wrote:By the way, if you want to listen to the complete song, here it is:

This is one of my favorite Korean songs. One of the few where I know most of the lyrics by heart :D I haven't been into dramas recently but I'll check out the one you're watching, maybe I'll like it.
1 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:55 pm

Evita wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:By the way, if you want to listen to the complete song, here it is:

This is one of my favorite Korean songs. One of the few where I know most of the lyrics by heart :D I haven't been into dramas recently but I'll check out the one you're watching, maybe I'll like it.

I really like "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와). It is one of the reasons I'm using it to study. I enjoy the characters and the plot. I want to know what'll happen next, so I keep watching and studying. I hope you like it too. ;)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”