PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: Cortina Method Audio

Postby PfifltriggPi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Update 3: Progress Report (1)
I have copies of the following course materials (PDF version of course book and MP3 version of audio) and have begun uploading them to the SPREND file-sharing website for furtherance to ericounet who, despite his very busy schedule, will endeavour to post them to the FSI-Language-Courses website over the next couple of weeks:
Cortina French
Cortina German
Cortina Greek
Cortina Italian
Cortina Portuguese (Brazilian)
Cortina Spanish

Yea! I am just preparing to start Modern Greek, and having the audio for the Cortina book will be very helpful. This is why I love this forum. Thank you both very much. :D
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Update 4: Progress Report (2)
1. Earlier today, ericounet advised me that he had completed much of the uploading of the Cortina course materials to the FSI-Languages-Courses website. He will apply a few "finishing touches" in the next few days.

2. I am presently digitizing the Cortina Vietnamese course and should have completed the process by the end of this weekend, after which I will send the files to ericounet for uploading.

3. As to the Cortina "Comprehension Tests", I reviewed the audio recordings once again and it seems that the tests were created for the following courses: German, Greek, Italian, Spanish. I have the German Comprehension Test. Should anyone have the comprehension tests for Greek, Italian, Spanish, could they please prepare a PDF copy and communicate with me via the Private Message function so as to arrange a file transfer? Merci à l'avance!
1 x

Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Postby Ericounet » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:54 am

hi,

Cortina material online in English, French, Russian on the Yojik website.

please, report bad links., thanks.

I'm not sure: the Italian recordings seem to have problem with some audio-players ....

Eric
1 x
administrator of fsi-languages.yojik.eu;
French(N), German, English, Russian.
Chinese and Korean beginner

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 am

Cainntear wrote:Can I just make a request at this point -- if people are recording audio materials from originals, please record first to FLAC (free lossless audio compression) format. FLAC keeps the full data of the recording, and it allows people to improve and clean up the recordings later, and also split them into different chunks if required. MO3 loses data and introduces noise, so if you attempt to clean up an MP3 file and save it as MP3 again, you end up degrading the recording as much as you improve it.

Even if the FLAC files aren't made immediately publicaly available and are kept in some hidden folder somewhere until specifically requested, please make sure they exist and are not lost, or in a sense we lose access to the materials again.

Being no expert, can I just ask why FLAC is preferred over WAV or AIFF ? These are not compressed either, so what's the advantage with FLAC?

Edit: Some awesome people here whom Speakeasy has already mentioned, have made this all happen. Excellent work guys!
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Postby Ericounet » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:54 am

hi

FLAC: : Lossless compression so it's exactly like the original. and compressed!

mp3, ogg, wma: lossy compression ; you'll never get a quality like the original back ...

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_compression

Always prefer FLAC ;)

Eric
Last edited by Ericounet on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:59 am

Ericounet wrote:hi

FLAC: : Lossless compression so it's exactly like the original.

mp3, ogg, wma: lossy compression ; you'll never get a quality like the original back ...

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_compression

Always prefer FLAC ;)

Eric

Which is exactly why I've always made 'master copies' of my audio ripped from CDs in both WAV and AIFF formats (because they are lossless), before making any subsequent compressed versions in addition. Although I appreciate you answering my question, your response doesn't contain any new info for me. Thus, could you tell me please why FLAC is preferred over WAV or AIFF, as they are all lossless?
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:03 am

The archives of Cortina recently uploaded are in .tar (no problem for me, but I was wondering if it's on purpose or if you forgot to zip them)
0 x

Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Postby Ericounet » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:09 am

hi,

FLAC is compressed, so half the size of the wav format

easier to upload on a server.

I'm used to tar.xz .... I work on Linux/Debian.. it works the same as zip, just more recent and better compression.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Which is exactly why I've always made 'master copies' of my audio ripped from CDs in both WAV and AIFF formats (because they are lossless), before making any subsequent compressed versions in addition. Although I appreciate you answering my question, your response doesn't contain any new info for me. Thus, could you tell me please why FLAC is preferred over WAV or AIFF, as they are all lossless?

Because while WAV and AIFF are lossless, they aren't compressed. FLAC is lossless compression, so you get a smaller filesize without losing any information.

FLAC is normally much more efficient that WAV+ZIP because it is designed exclusively for audio and takes advantage of common properties of audio files.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:36 am

Cainntear wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Which is exactly why I've always made 'master copies' of my audio ripped from CDs in both WAV and AIFF formats (because they are lossless), before making any subsequent compressed versions in addition. Although I appreciate you answering my question, your response doesn't contain any new info for me. Thus, could you tell me please why FLAC is preferred over WAV or AIFF, as they are all lossless?

Because while WAV and AIFF are lossless, they aren't compressed. FLAC is lossless compression, so you get a smaller filesize without losing any information.

FLAC is normally much more efficient that WAV+ZIP because it is designed exclusively for audio and takes advantage of common properties of audio files.

Awesome, thank you Cainntear, now I get it :)
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”