Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby blaurebell » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Radioclare wrote:That's interesting - I have been going downwards from the top so perhaps I should try the opposite! I've been strengthening the individual skills and mostly using the timed practice because I feel like that is slightly quicker (though not sure whether it really is, maybe it just feels quicker because the clock is counting down!). Sometimes the speed of my Russian typing lets me down on the timed practice though.

I think I read somewhere that using timed practice is also penalised, so it might be quicker, but things stay golden for a shorter time. My Russian typing is also really slow. At least I can touch type it though, otherwise I'd swear so much doing Duolingo!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 pm

You're definitely taking it from the more difficult direction. So much easier to learn Russian first then Croatian. I think I mentioned it before, but when I went to my first day of my 16 week class in BCS, one of the instructors (also a Russian teacher at DLI in Monterey) came in and told us "You can идем to New York, or to the store, or to your mother's house." As opposed to the глаголы движения of Russian!

But Russian is worth it. So much available out there for reading and listening. Lovely language.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 pm

blaurebell wrote:I think I read somewhere that using timed practice is also penalised, so it might be quicker, but things stay golden for a shorter time. My Russian typing is also really slow. At least I can touch type it though, otherwise I'd swear so much doing Duolingo!

That's interesting to know re timed practice as I do sometimes feel like I'm having to strengthen the same old skills very soon after I've already strengthened them. I seem to have to strengthen genitive plurals every day :lol: I'll experiment with the non-timed practice this week and see whether it helps. And yes I completely agree that although it was an investment of time upfront to learn how to type on a Cyrillic keyboard, I think it's definitely worth the effort in the long-term. Otherwise Duolingo and Memrise would be a complete nightmare!

IronMike wrote:But Russian is worth it. So much available out there for reading and listening. Lovely language.

I haven't even got as far as the difficult bits of Russian :( But it's good to hear you say that it is worth it in the end :)

So, this week's update... 2017 continues to be a stressful year for me, for reasons unrelated to languages and even unrelated to work. Although this week was a stressful one for me at work as well, and this weekend has predominantly been spent at an Esperanto trustee meeting. I never thought I'd say this, but I may actually have preferred 2016 to 2017 :lol:

Croatian
I finished reading Ken Follett's 'Zima sveta' in Serbian. All 927 pages of it :) This takes me to 151.6 "books" for the Super Challenge :shock: My SC reading is now horrifically far ahead of my SC films. I was enjoying the story too much to look up a lot of words, but one word which I did learn was "pogubiti" (to execute).

I only seem to have managed two episodes of 'Larin izbor' this week. I did learn a new word from that too though. Jakov and some of the other main characters got embroiled with a bad guy in Morocco who tricked them into smuggling "slonovača" into the country. I had to consult a dictionary to confirm that "slonovača" is "ivory", although this should have been obvious to me because I already knew that "slon" is an elephant.

I am progressing through Daniel's Memrise courses, albeit slowly. I wrote a few hundred words in Croatian earlier in the week to someone who sent me a message on Conversation Exchange.

Russian
I decided to start Russian Pimsleur and have so far completed the first two lessons. I've reaffirmed my belief that Pimsleur is an activity which can only be undertaken when standing up, to minimise the chances of falling asleep.

The 6WC bot has decided it doesn't like me and hasn't responded to any of my tweets in last 24 hours, but I'm trying not to take it personally :lol:

I'm now on 64/79 Duolingo lessons, so minimal progress has been made. I can't wait for Duolingo to be over to be honest.
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 am

I just checked. The bot didn't respond to my last tweet yesterday either. I'm short 30 minutes.

Edit: I just deleted the tweet and sent it again with the extra hashtag #yesterday, and it responded and even put it on the right day, so my graphs didn't get messed up.
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:19 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I just checked. The bot didn't respond to my last tweet yesterday either. I'm short 30 minutes.

Edit: I just deleted the tweet and sent it again with the extra hashtag #yesterday, and it responded and even put it on the right day, so my graphs didn't get messed up.

Glad it's not just me who is having problems! It didn't record anything I tweeted on 25 and 26 February, but I was away from home for most of the weekend so hadn't realised. After three or four attempts this evening, I've finally got it to accept most of the tweets. Will have to keep an eye on it!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:02 am

Radioclare wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I just checked. The bot didn't respond to my last tweet yesterday either. I'm short 30 minutes.

Glad it's not just me who is having problems! It didn't record anything I tweeted on 25 and 26 February, but I was away from home for most of the weekend so hadn't realised. After three or four attempts this evening, I've finally got it to accept most of the tweets. Will have to keep an eye on it!

That's at little strange though. I know several people have had troubles with it, but I don't think it usually ignores several days worth of tweets. It sometimes has trouble with tweets that are overly wordy, but yours looked fine to me.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:59 am

Brun Ugle wrote:That's at little strange though. I know several people have had troubles with it, but I don't think it usually ignores several days worth of tweets. It sometimes has trouble with tweets that are overly wordy, but yours looked fine to me.

Yes I'm quite confused too, as to me the tweets that didn't get accepted looked really similar to all my tweets that have been accepted in the past. I thought maybe it could be something to do with the fact that my tweets were protected (though they have been for years and it's never been an issue before) so tried unprotecting them last night, but it didn't start working straight away after that so there's not necessarily any link :?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Radioclare wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:That's at little strange though. I know several people have had troubles with it, but I don't think it usually ignores several days worth of tweets. It sometimes has trouble with tweets that are overly wordy, but yours looked fine to me.

Yes I'm quite confused too, as to me the tweets that didn't get accepted looked really similar to all my tweets that have been accepted in the past. I thought maybe it could be something to do with the fact that my tweets were protected (though they have been for years and it's never been an issue before) so tried unprotecting them last night, but it didn't start working straight away after that so there's not necessarily any link :?

Not sure what you mean by straight away, but the bot only answers every five minutes. The one of mine that didn't get answered the other day was just like all my others, so I think there's just a glitch somewhere.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Not sure what you mean by straight away, but the bot only answers every five minutes. The one of mine that didn't get answered the other day was just like all my others, so I think there's just a glitch somewhere.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear! I meant that I unprotected my tweets and then had three attempts at re-sending the tweets last night, with about twenty minutes between each attempt, and it was the third attempt which finally worked.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:36 pm

This might be because the bot is having trouble writing to the DB. It should process the same tweet again, but it doesn't have any built in error checking in the code. :(
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”