The countries: good or bad things

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: The countries: good or bad things

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:45 am

Rhian wrote:
Vogeltje what you said about being able to be yourself in London I found interesting. I actually felt that way in Belgium!! Antwerpen was really quirky and laidback.

Yes, Belgium and England are similar in many ways, I think so as well.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:48 am

Xenops wrote:United States of America:

Good:
large middle class
freebies (companies just give things away)
humane societies
government aid for college
people get to vote
climates for all types

Bad:
everyone's fat
the FDA regulations are lax
expensive health insurance
confusing tax system
political unrest among the people
individualism comes before community

Japan
Good:
community-based
large middle class
reasonable health care system

Bad:
society expectations regulate everyone
food is expensive (especially fruit)
have to import most products

Thank you Xenops!!!! It's exactly the type of reply I wanted and hoped that the people woudl write!!! :)
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:53 am

Iversen wrote:Like emk (and probably also other administrators/moderators) I have read through the messages above with some scepticism, and it seems to me that the thread hardly can't stay as friendly and tongue-in-the-cheek as Vogeltje presumably hoped, so even though we have let it continue it will be 'on probation' and quite possibly it will be closed down unless it miraculously steers clear of political themes (and religious ones too, though we have been spared to see those in the thread till now).

Thanks, yes exactly, I wanted a freindly and interesting, fun thread.
0 x

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:38 am

vogeltje wrote:
desitrader wrote:
emk wrote:
desitrader wrote:Since it was you who brought it up in the first place, and especially now that you have had your say, we must not discuss politics any more.

...because heaven fobid, what if someone expresses the opposite view and hurts some delicate sensibilities?

If you're curious why the moderators discourage the discussion of politics, you might be interested in re-reading the relevant section of the forum rules:

My comment wasn't directed at moderators or forum policy. I understand why politics should be restricted to political forums only.

If it was directed at me and you want to criticise me or be nasty then please shut up and leave my thread. thank you.

Who died and made you God, and put you beyond criticism, exactly?

And since when have threads become personal properties? If you can't take it, then don't dish it out. YOU started it all. YOU. And now it's YOU who is continuing it.

Yes, I will shut up now (until the time you provoke me again --- which you no doubt will).
Last edited by desitrader on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:05 am

desitrader wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
desitrader wrote:
emk wrote:
desitrader wrote:Since it was you who brought it up in the first place, and especially now that you have had your say, we must not discuss politics any more.

...because heaven fobid, what if someone expresses the opposite view and hurts some delicate sensibilities?

If you're curious why the moderators discourage the discussion of politics, you might be interested in re-reading the relevant section of the forum rules:

My comment wasn't directed at moderators or forum policy. I understand why politics should be restricted to political forums only.

If it was directed at me and you want to criticise me or be nasty then please shut up and leave my thread. thank you.

Who died and made you God, and put you beyond criticism, exactly?

And since when threads have become personal properties? If you can't take it, then don't dish it out. YOU started it all. YOU. And now it's YOU who is continuing it.

Yes, I will shut up now (until the time you provoke me again --- which you no doubt will).

please stop.

thank you.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 am

and I didn't provoke you. I don't know what you mean in your post. I have reported your post to the mods for help.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”