The countries: good or bad things

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

The countries: good or bad things

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:17 pm

I think that every country must have good things and bad things, and that which is the best depends of your own requirements and taste.
So this thread isn't about which is the best or worst, and anyway, it would be subjective, but it would be very interesting to read what you like or dislike about the countries where you live or have been.

I will start with some descpitions, and will add more comments when i think about them:

Belgium(Wallonia)

Good
chocolate
fries
my native language, so convenient

Bad:
the stupid hatred Wallonia <-> Flanders

England (London)

Good:
you can be who you are, wear the clothes you want, etc
international food
people are freidnly and not overwhelming

Bad:
brexit, ukip etc
think that "Europe" is all the same, so every country in Europe does the same things
think that Brussels = Belgium = Eurocrat

France (Normandy)

Good:
dog friendly
beautiful flowers

Bad:
I liked it a lot, I could live in Normandy. I was there one week, so it's difficult to say more

Holland (Maastricht, Zeeland, )

Good:
cycling is safe
Leerdammer cheese is yummy
some Dutch are nice
Pretty church bells
I can speak Dutch

Bad:
Aggressive, loud people
Very tall people (I am only 1.62m)
Disgusting food
Ugly flat landscape

Germany (Düsseldorf)

Good:
people I know who are German are nice
yummy ice cream

Bad:
seems strict
food is salty and too much
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: The countries: good or bad things

Postby sillygoose1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 pm

vogeltje wrote:Bad:
brexit, ukip etc

Why is that?
3 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:38 pm

sillygoose1 wrote:
brexit, ukip etc

Why is that?

Because England is our neighbour and freind, for a long time, so it seems sad. I work in a uni (not a professor haha, I work in the café) in London and after the brexit result, the people cried :cry: I mean some lecturers who are nice.

ukip is a group of nasty people, and anti immigrants etc

But I'm Belgian, so you can't expect that I would like brexit? for example, my parents and me moved to London about 2 years ago, so we don't know about the rule to live and work here after brexit. If you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more, you can apply for the permanent residency, then the passport, then you are ok. My dad said it won't affect us, that we can decide now and in the future, but my job is zero hours, and at the moment, only possible for British and EU (I think), although with this as well, it can be solved becuase my Dad is a lawyer, and my parents are freinds with people in the uni. But it will be more difficult for other people, so the EU people in the UK and the british in the EU.

I find brexit a sad and negative thing. I don't understand why the people want brexit, for exactly what? do they think that the Belgians, French, Germans, Spanish etc are their enemy in this world???? but it's politics, and we must not discuss them.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 pm

vogeltje wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:
brexit, ukip etc

Why is that?

Because England is our neighbour and freind, for a long time, so it seems sad. I work in a uni (not a professor haha, I work in the café) in London and after the brexit result, the people cried :cry: I mean some lecturers who are nice.

But I'm Belgian, so you can't expect that I would like brexit? for example, my parents and me moved to London about 2 years ago, so we don't know about the rule to live and work here after brexit. If you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more, you can apply for the permanent residency, then the passport, then you are ok. My dad said it won't affect us, that we can decide now and in the future, but my job is zero hours, and at the moment, only possible for British and EU (I think), although with this as well, it can be solved becuase my Dad is a lawyer, and my parents are freinds with people in the uni. But it will be more difficult for other people, so the EU people in the UK and the british in the EU.

I find brexit a sad and negative thing. I don't understand why the people want brexit, for exactly what? do they think that the Belgians, French, Germans, Spanish etc are their enemy in this world???? but it's politics, and we must not discuss them.

I don't think those are the immigrants who they perceive to be the enemy. But you're right. Best to keep politics out of the forum when possible.
4 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 pm

sillygoose1 wrote:
vogeltje wrote:

I don't think those are the immigrants who they perceive to be the enemy. But you're right. Best to keep politics out of the forum when possible.

None of the western countries like or want the romanian or bulgarian immigrants. Some in the UK don't want the Polish, becuase they said that there are too many.

But it isn't as important as all the other things of the EU, I mean not to justify to leave the EU because of those partiular immigrants. The Uk could put the same rules as the other EU countries: you must have a job if you want to live in the country, but the UK doesn't, it accepts everyone. Then the healthcare is immediately free, but in the other coutnries, you must have insurance. etc etc .... in the UK it seems like it's very extreme, without consideration of the legal adjustments which are possible, but only remain or leave.

it's really sad. and weird. Where I grew up, the people are so aware of the british, US and Canadians in the world wars who liberated Belgium, in terrible battles, then in the modern age, our countries are similar, i think. I mean, I didn't have much culture shock, except british chocolate is low quality haha.
0 x

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 pm

vogeltje wrote:ukip is a group of nasty people, and anti immigrants etc

. . .

I agree. Since it was you who brought it up in the first place, and especially now that you have had your say, we must not discuss politics any more.

...because heaven fobid, what if someone expresses the opposite view and hurts some delicate sensibilities?
Last edited by desitrader on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Not starting a debate, just wanting to clarify a few things.

vogeltje wrote:

UKIP is not anti-immigrant. They want to have a better controlled, fairer immigration system, similar to the USA and Commonwealth countries like Australia. This is in their manifesto.

Brexit is about the European Union as a political institution (and the institutions linked to it), not individual European countries who are also members of the EU. If you quit your job because your boss is making life difficult for you, that does not mean you hate your co-workers. One of the main Members of Parliament who campaigned for Brexit, Gisela Stuart, is from Bavaria.

Edit: typo.
5 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 pm

I didn't want to discuss politics or brexit :cry:

but I wanted to know what you think is good and bad about the countries that you know

I didn't mean to change topic or derail the thread or whatever, it was a mistake, sorry.

please discuss the original question. thank you.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm

desitrader wrote:
...because heaven fobid, what if someone expresses the opposite view and hurts some delicate sensibilities?

I don't know if you're criticsing me or not. (I know that I think too often that the people criticise me)

the people can have the opposite view if they want.
0 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm

desitrader wrote:
vogeltje wrote:ukip is a group of nasty people, and anti immigrants etc

. . .

I agree. Since it was you who brought it up in the first place, and especially now that you have had your say, we must not discuss politics any more.

I believe one reason politics is banned here is that it makes things difficult for the moderators, who are all volunteers and have their own lives to deal with as well. There are plenty of other places on the internet to discuss politics.

The people of a country are not always responsible for what their government does. Here we can have a discussion about various cultures and histories without the political baggage.
5 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”