The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:54 am

I thought it was about time we had a thread for this year's Gathering instead of using the old one which links to the old website.

Anyway, let's coordinate our plans. Who is going? Is anyone planning to go on any of the side trips? Which ones? It could be nice to try to do a few things together if possible. Also, accommodations. I think I will probably take a room by myself, but some people might want to find roommates.

I do hope some of my friends here will be going. I've seen a few names from this forum on the list, and there might be a few hidden ones or people whose real-life names I don't know. I haven't actually signed up myself yet, but I will do so in the next couple of days. I just wanted to see what everyone else's plans were first.

Also, I'm probably going there by way of Vienna and I'm trying to decide if I should (and can afford to) spend a few days in Vienna on the way there or on the way back. Is anyone planning a side trip through Vienna?
4 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

Postby tarvos » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm attending (as a speaker, in fact). I've signed up for two of the side trips and probably will be visiting Vienna either before or after the Gathering. I would like shared accomodation to save on costs.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm

I also thought we had a thread for this event, but it turns out that we just have been using the last half of thread for the Berlin Gathering for the purpose (from nov. 1 and up), and besides it has been mentioned passim in some threads, including my own log thread.

But now we have a thread, and I can finally state in a thread dedicated to the Bratislava Gathering that I'm going, and like Tarvos I'm actually going to say something there. I have not yet decided what I'll do before and after my stay in Bratislava, but last year I went from Budapest over Nitra and Brno to Praha, and I have also visited Graz-Vienna and Southern Poland recently, and I would prefer not to visit the same places again and again. This puts some restrictions on my travel plans...
0 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Waiting for them to put a definitive schedule and I'll be in, too. I just hope they'll be done with that before prices rise.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:52 pm

I was waiting for pay day to hit before I registered but that was a stressful time so I didn't get round to it. I want to go on the wine trips! (Naturally).

I would also like to share accomodation if possible. My funds will likely be restricted by the time of the gathering.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:32 pm

I am going, and speaking too. I didn't book enough time for the side trips. Drat.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

druckfehler
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Korean (B2), Persian (A2), Portuguese (passive A2/B1) , French (remnants), Mandarin (bits and pieces)

Postby druckfehler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:54 pm

I registered! :) Looking forward to meeting people from the forum!
1 x
Korean Grammar in Use:
: 0 / 93 Intermediate
: 0 / 85 Advanced
Portuguese Audiobooks:
: 2 / 24 Minha História by Michele Obama
Duolingo Portuguese:
: 72 / 125 Level 2
: 66 / 100 Stories

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:53 pm

Hummm... Just realized that I haven't booked flights, nor prepared for my presentation. In fact I only vaguely remember what I had proposed to speak about. Someone really should stop me from volunteering for things. I need a servant to whisper in my ear! (Reference: Persian king, Darius, swore vengeance on Athens and commanded a servant to repeat to him three times every day at dinner, “Master, remember the Athenians) for me it is someone to say "never volunteer"!
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 pm

rdearman wrote:Hummm... Just realized that I haven't booked flights, nor prepared for my presentation. In fact I only vaguely remember what I had proposed to speak about. Someone really should stop me from volunteering for things. I need a servant to whisper in my ear! (Reference: Persian king, Darius, swore vengeance on Athens and commanded a servant to repeat to him three times every day at dinner, “Master, remember the Athenians) for me it is someone to say "never volunteer"!

Ach wing it, you'd live it down eventually... I very nearly came as I was going to be in Slovakia that week anyway but I had to drop something from my plans so Slovakia it was!
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm

I've been doubting whether I can make it, but it seems like my finances will allow it after all, so I just signed up! I also intend to share accommodation if possible. I signed up for the two trips in and around Bratislava as well as the two-day one after the end of the Conference, plus I may spend a night and half a day in Vienna afterwards. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
2 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”