Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Celtic Team - Study Group

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Systematiker wrote:Well, I guess I'll hang out over here now, too...

I've recently stumbled into studying Welsh and Scottish Gaelic. How? Well, I joined a couple of lingua franca Facebook groups, one of which had just switched to Welsh (I thought they were going to still be doing Basque). So I did a lesson or two of duolinguo, and though "Ach, I don't even know if I'm going to try this, it's odd." But I also downloaded the "say something in Welsh" app, which I tried the day before yesterday, and I loved the methodology (I liked the modular sentence combining, I feel like that's in line with the best of what some other initial programs do).

But that caused a problem. I've always wanted to learn Scottish Gaelic, in part due to family connections. The last Gaelic speaker in my family was one generation too far back for me to have known them, and I don't think she was fluent, but it's always been important. So feeling bad about starting Welsh (it can't be my first Celtic language!) and realizing that the missing-audio problem that has kept me from starting in the past (oh, the publisher provides the files free online!) contributed to my started Scottish Gaelic, with the goal of "at least keeping up with Welsh so it's not p the second Celtic language"

I'm definitely a raw beginner in both languages, and neither of them is a priority, so I'm not likely to make great jumps in progress, but I also don't have any specific goals, so they'll probably just work their way into my cycle and move slowly along.

Oh, if anyone knows where I can get an audio recording of the Bible in either language, I'd appreciate it!

Nice to have you Systematiker. I don't know of Bible audio off the top of my head, but I have a place I can check when I get home, though it might only be writing sadly. Also, I know you said you're not serious about Gaelic right now, but if you do ever get serious there's a website called the Atlantic Gaelic Academy, that, for (I think) 300/semester offers Gaelic courses. And I believe Sabhal Mòr Ostaig (sp?) might offer online ones toward a 'diploma' program. Just throwing those sources out there.

Also, I might have to look into SSi and see if it could be adapted to Irish, I've heard so many good things about it.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:41 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
Systematiker wrote:Well, I guess I'll hang out over here now, too...

I've recently stumbled into studying Welsh and Scottish Gaelic. How? Well, I joined a couple of lingua franca Facebook groups, one of which had just switched to Welsh (I thought they were going to still be doing Basque). So I did a lesson or two of duolinguo, and though "Ach, I don't even know if I'm going to try this, it's odd." But I also downloaded the "say something in Welsh" app, which I tried the day before yesterday, and I loved the methodology (I liked the modular sentence combining, I feel like that's in line with the best of what some other initial programs do).

But that caused a problem. I've always wanted to learn Scottish Gaelic, in part due to family connections. The last Gaelic speaker in my family was one generation too far back for me to have known them, and I don't think she was fluent, but it's always been important. So feeling bad about starting Welsh (it can't be my first Celtic language!) and realizing that the missing-audio problem that has kept me from starting in the past (oh, the publisher provides the files free online!) contributed to my started Scottish Gaelic, with the goal of "at least keeping up with Welsh so it's not p the second Celtic language"

I'm definitely a raw beginner in both languages, and neither of them is a priority, so I'm not likely to make great jumps in progress, but I also don't have any specific goals, so they'll probably just work their way into my cycle and move slowly along.

Oh, if anyone knows where I can get an audio recording of the Bible in either language, I'd appreciate it!

Nice to have you Systematiker. I don't know of Bible audio off the top of my head, but I have a place I can check when I get home, though it might only be writing sadly. Also, I know you said you're not serious about Gaelic right now, but if you do ever get serious there's a website called the Atlantic Gaelic Academy, that, for (I think) 300/semester offers Gaelic courses. And I believe Sabhal Mòr Ostaig (sp?) might offer online ones toward a 'diploma' program. Just throwing those sources out there.

Also, I might have to look into SSi and see if it could be adapted to Irish, I've heard so many good things about it.

Well, now, "not a priority" is not quite the same as "not serious"; I'm working more slowly than I perhaps could, but I'll be ready to move on from Colloquial Scottish Gaelic around the end of April or so, and what I'll do afterwards, I'm not sure. But I'll certainly want to do something :lol:
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:26 pm

For resources: there's a "Learn Gaelic" iOS app for Gàidhlig that's free and doesn't look too bad (I've only done one lesson) if you want to list that, and an online Breton course (in French) which can be found at http://www.kervarker.org/fr/lessons_01_toc.html . I also note the "Say Something in..." site hasn't been listed, despite having free lessons (at least some levels), should that be there as well?

I had a site with Scottish Gaelic lessons through German, but I seem to have inadvertently closed the tab at some point.
3 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

So, for all of y'all who might be interested in studying Irish out there, there's a thing called "Leabhra Feabhra" where people give Irish language books to each other (or buy them for themselves) on St. Bríd's day, February 1. As such, a lot of place have sales going on right now. Some I know of:

Futa Fata -- 20%
Cló Iar-Chonnachta -- 20% with the code LF2017
An Siopa Leabhair -- 15% with the code leabhra17
Leabhar Breac – 20%
Cois Life – 20%
Litriocht.com - 15% with code LF17
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:53 pm

How's everyone doing?

I've been plugging along in both Gàidhlig and Cymraeg, having more success with the former despite only being a couple of chapters in the resources. I listened to Dèanmamaid Adhradh (no one's surprised) and understood very little, but there was a little! :lol: I also find I can puzzle out a few things reading, so I've tried the clozemaster set for Gàidhlig as well. I find, for Cymraeg, that the SSiW episodes after number 5 are such that I get about 10 minutes in, stop it feeling overwhelmed, and start it from the beginning later (and then do OK).
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 pm

My daily dosis of Irish is ~15 minutes of reading in "Cuirt na cruinne in ochtó lá" ("Around the world in eighty days" by Jules Verne). The translation was printed in the Cló Gaelach alphabet back in 1938, but my edition is in the Latin alphabet.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Still ill and not studying... :(

I should get hold of Cuirt na Cruinne in Ochtó Lá and Oileán an Órchiste though. Are there any more good books in Irish that you could recommend, Jeff or galaxyrocker? Theoretically, I should have enough books in Irish, but I've kind of started collecting...
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Josquin wrote:Still ill and not studying... :(

I should get hold of Cuirt na Cruinne in Ochtó Lá and Oileán an Órchiste though. Are there any more good books in Irish that you could recommend, Jeff or galaxyrocker? Theoretically, I should have enough books in Irish, but I've kind of started collecting...

I haven't read that one, though I always recommend the Fionn Mac Cumhaill series, by Tadhg Mac Dhonnagáin. Also ships with a CD of him reading them. Can get it from around 25€ plus shipping. I also like An Litir, by Liam Mac Cóill. It's really fun, and the sequel is out and a third one should be coming too.
2 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:32 pm

Systematiker wrote:How's everyone doing?

I've been plugging along in both Gàidhlig and Cymraeg, having more success with the former despite only being a couple of chapters in the resources. I listened to Dèanmamaid Adhradh (no one's surprised) and understood very little, but there was a little! :lol: I also find I can puzzle out a few things reading, so I've tried the clozemaster set for Gàidhlig as well. I find, for Cymraeg, that the SSiW episodes after number 5 are such that I get about 10 minutes in, stop it feeling overwhelmed, and start it from the beginning later (and then do OK).

I did maybe 1.5 levels of SSiW a while back with good success. My approach was to start off as you did, getting a few minutes in and feeling overwhelmed, and just keep going. Time permitting, immediately continue to the next lesson, as well. My brain constantly felt like it was going to puke, but it worked quite well. I finished level 1 in 11 days, as I described on the SSi forum here. It's painful, but I recommend it.

I also noticed today that at glossika.com they are now working on a Welsh course!
1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 am

Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona dhaoibh!

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody!
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Return to “Study Groups”