East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
moo

Re: East Asian Team - 2017~

Postby moo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:29 am

cathrynm wrote:
moo wrote:May I join this group? *shy face

Probably yes, but not sure who makes the decision about this.

Oh I don't want to anymore but thanks i guess
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 am

moo wrote:
cathrynm wrote:
moo wrote:May I join this group? *shy face

Probably yes, but not sure who makes the decision about this.

Oh I don't want to anymore but thanks i guess

Oh okay, either way is fine I'm sure.
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 am

cathrynm wrote:What's suprising to me is I got 26/60 on the listening. I swore I was blind guessing through that whole section, but I guess it wasn't as bad as all that? Not sure how this happened.

Listening was my best score too when I failed N2: I also thought I was guessing, so I was surprised that it was so good (relatively). I expect that I should be surprised that the other scores were so bad :-)
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 pm

dampingwire wrote:Listening was my best score too when I failed N2: I also thought I was guessing, so I was surprised that it was so good (relatively). I expect that I should be surprised that the other scores were so bad :-)

I felt every mistake on the language knowlege section, I know there were meanings and reading I just didn't know. The reading, maybe this is some kind of weird pychosis, but I just feel like I understood everything, and then I get a so-so score. I'm not completely clear myself what's going wrong.
0 x

Meera
White Belt
Languages: Hindi/Urdu (Advanced), Arabic (Intermediate). Japanese (Beginner), Bengali (Beginner)

Postby Meera » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Are we allowed to post the review in here or do we post it in the TAC?
0 x

Meera
White Belt
Languages: Hindi/Urdu (Advanced), Arabic (Intermediate). Japanese (Beginner), Bengali (Beginner)

Postby Meera » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Yuuri On Ice- I really liked this show. It was such a different kind of anime and was so much fun. My favorite character was Yuri and I liked his relationship with Viktor. The ice skating was terrific and animated beautifully. I loved Makkachin, he was super adorable. I liked how each skater was given a unique character traits and that although they were all rivals they all respected each other. Although I did not liuke Yurio and I thought he was the meanest person in the entire group. He just hated everyone and had tantrums. My favorite episode was episode seven! I also quite enjoyed the opening song (although it is in English) and I also enjoyed the closing. Even if you do not like anime, I recommend this show so much, it is so different, the scenery is beautiful!
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:34 am

On target for listening-reading (L-R) of 4 gospels in 4 weeks.

Pronounciation /listening / rhythm much better. All elements of cebuano better.

Estimates of reading
60,000 to 120,000 cebuano words.
Listening to same twice. Once for word demarcation/spelling. Once for matching to English meaning.

That's a lot of input for 4 weeks of fairly low intensity activity.

Still to do, deep dive into Matthew, L-R of acts. For the deep dive, write out cebuano and English, identify unknown words / usage. Write a summary/review of each chapter.

This last item is from a post by iguanamon (hard to link to on phone) related to how to get past B level plateaus. I'm still in A though.

They also suggested/related how studying a soap opera series helped.

Watch episode (possibly repeatedly). Write down unknowns and what time in the episode they occur. Check with native speaker. Next part is write summary/review of the episode (or bible chapter).

This summary/review really appeals to me in cementing the info.

Could be done with bible or soap operas. Therefore applicable to really unusual languages.

Soap better for colloquial cebuano.
1 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

rustygecko
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 4), Greek (beginner), Georgian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5144

Postby rustygecko » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 pm

ロータス wrote:
rustygecko wrote:Not sure if this counts or not, but I have watched three episodes (45 mins each) of 奋斗 (Fendou - English, Chinese) this month. It's a soap about a group of recent graduates in Beijing, with the storyline mostly revolving around their relationships. Not the sort of thing I'd watch in English, but the added challenge of trying to figure out what's going on makes it interesting. :) Still quite difficult for me (HSK 4ish), but just about manageable.

3 out of 32 does not cut it xP
If you get to 16, I'll let it slide :3

So, I got to 20 out of 32 in the end. Sounds good, but I had already watched 15 before the month started, so the previously declared 3 has only improved to 5. I am unlikely to do better on next month's challenge, as I am starting a Six Week Challenge in Greek. :shock:
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:41 am

Oh. I forgot to update :-)

I watched Great Teacher Onizuka (グレート・ティーチャー・オニヅカ) on youtube. This was the 1999 film rather than the series (which I watched a few years ago). The story is about as unbelievable as the series, just a lot shorter :-). Onizuka rides into town, generally behaves in a very un-Japanese way and sorts out Raku's love life, getting him badly beaten up along the way. Hiw work complete, Onizuka then rides off into the distance. He's followed throughout by a young cub reporter who is hot on the trail of this ex-biker gang member who has supposedly become a teacher. She never becomes his love interest, but she does get both a demotion and a promotion during this rather confusing film.
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:37 am

Alright, for February, I've head this song before, but I never really parsed exactly what was going on in this. I think I have it right. I grabbed a copy of the lyrics from the Internets and gone through each sentence.

//Was it easy to understand and which parts are your favorite?
As far as easty to understand, I've heard this, but I never really understood correctly what was going on until I studied it just now. I've always been able to pick out a few words and guessed from the title it's the 'woman gone bad.' I pick out trains at night, hotel lobbies, I think I got the general atmosphere, but the story of what exactly is going on was never clear, I think I may still have it wrong, to be honest.

//which parts are your favorite?
The melody caught me, also just the period, 80's Japan I find fascinating.

//When did you first hear this song?
Not sure. Heard part of language study, pretty sure, just letting a Japanese oldies internet audio stream run, it was just one of those songs that caught my ear.

//If there is a video that goes with it, did you like that as well or think it doesn't match very well?
This video is more nostalgia than great art. It does have that 80's Japan feel, and has a good look of what it was like to walk around Japan those days. But, there's not much to this, it's a camera following around a woman, basically. The whole thing, though, the song, the video, together capture kind of the loneliness of Japan. To me the place feels oddly isolating.

Few interesting vocab words here.

These, completely new to me.
ほろり=(adv-to,on-mim) being moved (to tears); being touched by; becoming sentimental
うなじ= ٍI think is the back of the neck.
Rikaichan has a nice definition for this. すてる + せりふ
捨てゼリフ= sharp parting remark; parting threat
涸れて = drying. This is a new kanji to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJW2lsMq_YQ

マリコの部屋へ 電話をかけて
I called Mariko's room,
男と遊んでる芝居 続けてきたけれど
and the drama with a man kept continuing but,
あのこもわりと 忙しいようで
I'm much more busy than that kid
そうそうつきあわせてもいられない
I can't help but go out to meet someone.

土曜でなけりゃ 映画も早い
It must be Saturday, during an early movie
ホテルのロビーも いつまで居られるわけもない
I can't stay long in the hotel lobby.
帰れるあての あなたの部屋も
After I come back home to your room
受話器をはずしたままね 話し中
We talk with the phone off the hook.

悪女になるなら 月夜はおよしよ
Since becoming the bad woman, the night is good
素直になりすぎる
To become overly cynical
隠しておいた言葉がほろり
And to be disturbed by secret words.
こぼれてしまう 「行かないで」
which I musn't let spill out.

悪女になるなら
Since becoming the bad woman
裸足で夜明けの電車で泣いてから
crying, barefoot in the night train,
涙 ぽろぽろ ぽろぽろ
Tears, pouring out,
流れて 涸れてから
flowing out, and then drying.

女のつけぬ コロンを買って
Buying woman's cologne,
深夜のサ店の鏡で うなじにつけたなら
In the mirror at a late night coffee shop, dab a bit on the neck
夜明けを待って 一番電車
At daybreak, waiting for the first train,
凍えて帰れば わざと捨てゼリフ
Icily return home and intentionally making a nasty parting remark.
涙も捨てて 情も捨てて
Throwing away tears and feelings.
あなたが早く私に 愛想を尽かすまで
You've quickly fallen out of love with me.
あなたの隠す あの娘のもとへ
Based on your secret with the other woman.
あなたを早く 渡してしまうまで
I'm giving up on you quickly.
Last edited by cathrynm on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”