Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:48 pm

^..." you bunch of mugs" :lol:

Dia daoibh. Just flying by to ask if anyone can recommend any easy novels or short stories in Irish (digital). I have a thing for classical adventure stories, but I'll read anything.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:^..." you bunch of mugs" :lol:

Dia daoibh. Just flying by to ask if anyone can recommend any easy novels or short stories in Irish (digital). I have a thing for classical adventure stories, but I'll read anything.

I liked An Litir by Liam Mac Cóill but I'm not sure how easy I'd classify it. Probably intermediate. There's also several kids stories and young adult stories in digital format, by authors such as Titley. I didn't find Ó Conghaile's short stories to be too difficult, and they're available online.

Sadly most the stuff is written by non-native speakers.
3 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! That seems to be what I was looking for. Really appreciate it. :D
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:04 pm

If those of you studying Irish have some money to blow (or are looking at getting a lot of Irish language books for the upcoming holidays), Litriocht.com is having a free world-wide shipping event. The code is "Nollaig16", and it lasts until (I believe) the 5th of December. The only catch is you have to but 100€ of books. But, it's cheaper to buy them now then to spread the purchase out over a year or such. Especially if you can find another Gaelgeoir to split the cost with you!
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:56 am

How about adding this thread to the list of study groups?
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:49 am

Good idea! I think we should transform this team from a TAC team to a study group. There's no TAC any more anyway, I think.

Also, athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh! I haven't been very active on the forum lately due to health problems, but I'm trying to catch up with everything.
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Celtic Team - Study Group

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Perfect. There has been some activity here during 2016 - and some of the other TAC threads have been very active - but on the whole, I personally think it's "better" to just have a study group. I usually fail my challenges anyway. :D (...and sometimes do more in other languages)
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm thrilled to see this switching from a TAC team to a study group! I much prefer that new format and the fact that it feels like it's something that can last longer than a single year. If y'all don't care, I might even advertise this over on /r/gaeilge, though I'm not sure how intense most of them are about studying. Also, Josquin, it might be a good idea to get a few resource posts full of materials and stuff like the other groups have and then link them in the main post.
2 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:00 am

Sure, the more the merrier!

There already are resources for Irish and Scottish Gaelic linked in the second post, but if you know more or better ones, please let me know and I will add them.
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Well, I guess I'll hang out over here now, too...

I've recently stumbled into studying Welsh and Scottish Gaelic. How? Well, I joined a couple of lingua franca Facebook groups, one of which had just switched to Welsh (I thought they were going to still be doing Basque). So I did a lesson or two of duolinguo, and though "Ach, I don't even know if I'm going to try this, it's odd." But I also downloaded the "say something in Welsh" app, which I tried the day before yesterday, and I loved the methodology (I liked the modular sentence combining, I feel like that's in line with the best of what some other initial programs do).

But that caused a problem. I've always wanted to learn Scottish Gaelic, in part due to family connections. The last Gaelic speaker in my family was one generation too far back for me to have known them, and I don't think she was fluent, but it's always been important. So feeling bad about starting Welsh (it can't be my first Celtic language!) and realizing that the missing-audio problem that has kept me from starting in the past (oh, the publisher provides the files free online!) contributed to my started Scottish Gaelic, with the goal of "at least keeping up with Welsh so it's not p the second Celtic language"

I'm definitely a raw beginner in both languages, and neither of them is a priority, so I'm not likely to make great jumps in progress, but I also don't have any specific goals, so they'll probably just work their way into my cycle and move slowly along.

Oh, if anyone knows where I can get an audio recording of the Bible in either language, I'd appreciate it!
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”