“Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
ddich
White Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), English (advanced), Italian (intermediate)

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby ddich » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 am

This is like the best thread ever (probably because getting read about people learning Finnish is so rare). Especially that Princess Bride comment by Yuurei from about a month ago.

Perhaps I should join this group. I speak so little Finnish these days that it's completely rusty. Might stop my family again from making fun of me when I go visit them over Christmas :D
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:29 pm

ddich wrote:This is like the best thread ever (probably because getting read about people learning Finnish is so rare). Especially that Princess Bride comment by Yuurei from about a month ago.

Perhaps I should join this group. I speak so little Finnish these days that it's completely rusty. Might stop my family again from making fun of me when I go visit them over Christmas :D

Feel free to join, lord knows we could use the help! :lol:
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:53 am

Today I briefly looked at some Finnish, for the first time in ages! Yay - I'm back on the pain train!
1 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:18 pm

PSA: clozemaster.com nows has cloze tests for Finnish sorted by most common words, so you can train and learn the 500 most common words, or the 1000 or the 2000 most common words. Would recommend it.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Well, thought I would give another boring update saying that I review my ANKI deck and that is about it. However I have a couple of days available and I'm going to try to review the Assimil Finnish and at least try to get back to lesson 7 again.

nähdään
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:20 am

rdearman wrote:Well, thought I would give another boring update saying that I review my ANKI deck and that is about it. However I have a couple of days available and I'm going to try to review the Assimil Finnish and at least try to get back to lesson 7 again.

nähdään

OK that didn't happen, but still slogging away with the anki decks. Had to catch up on Mandarin as well as Finnish, and I threw in another 10k worth of French cards, because the anki torture train was going to slow. I think Jeff is the only one still going hardcore Finnish???
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:56 am

Hey guys. I've been getting back into Finnish with the holidays. Have been hammering on ClozeMaster.com the last month or so.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 am

I'm back too. And if I work hard, I still have a chance of finishing Assimil before the Gathering. Good thing they made it later this year.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:00 am

I'm back too. I don't think anything stuck from last time I tried so I am picking up again from the beginning. Trying for a lesson a day and hoping to read my first book in Finnish this year (and trying not to let that goal push its way back to December). Envious of everyone who gets to meet up at the Gathering! No cookies for me.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:34 am

Still no Assimil for me but I watched Rare Exports today and did my best to pay attention to the language. Does that count?!

My Finnish goal for 2017 is to be able to (somewhat) understand Rare Exports by the end of the year and to have started on reading a book in Finnish that I actually want to read. I also want to start on reading a webcomic written by a Finno-svensk author that my boyfriend recommended.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”