Japanese, Swedish, and Polyglotism Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Re: Japanese, Swedish, and Korean Language Log

Postby Xelian » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:29 am

I WAS going to post a reply next week, but I'm replying early because I think it's time to do a little bit of organizing.

I am already a little ahead on Japanese like I wanted, but in now way did I get VERY ahead, much less through all of the materials. I think that I feel okay with this, as I got a 3.0 in Japanese last quarter, and I know my instructor's teaching and testing style well now. I think that since Swedish was so unexpectedly easy (due to the teacher mostly), it's not worth it to stress about learning all of the Japanese words within the next week (to make more time for learning Swedish words during the year), but I should definitely take a look at them, as well as the grammar points and readings, before the school year starts up.

Japanese for the end of 2016:
Tobira
-Review words from chapters 4 and 6
-Make flash cards for chapter 5 if I have time
-Read through the grammar points
-Read through the readings
Journal
-6 entries before New Year's ^^

I didn't call my language partner yesterday because it was Christmas, but today we called for about an hour, and the time before was the day before Christmas. (we've had 3 sessions so far, each an hour long). Since I hardly understand the audio book we were reading/listening to before, we've decided to start using simple youtube videos instead. I listen, he transcribes and translates the words only, then I try to decipher the meaning, and he tells me if I'm right or not.
He also has me working on Korean pronunciation, as we have discovered several words that really trip me up since they are pronounced differently than they are spelled (just like a lot of words we have in English, actually). This discovery was really grand for me, because I was under the impression that Korean was sort of like Japanese; pronunciation was almost always the same as the word is spelled. Haha! No wonder I was having trouble with Korean! I didn't understand this fundamental information! In fact, I think that the way they pronounce the words in speaking is actually much easier to pronounce than trying to pronounce the words letter by letter, like I was doing before. (big mistake) haha

Korean for the end of 2016:

-Continue language exchange
-Practice speaking, reading, and writing after language exchange
-Refresh knowledge on the Korean number systems

I think I should start recording the hours spent talking (online or in person) with language partners. I haven't gotten a schedule set up with any Japanese people yet, but I think I will soon. Language courses don't count. I think I need real conversational/private teaching time with people to get better at these languages. I did find a Swedish language partner, but I am afraid that if we called we wouldn't be working towards language learning, so I'm on the lookout for a new one. It's really hard to make progress with conversations in Swedish because a lot of Swedish people already know English very well. :lol: ...

Time with Language Partners:
Korean: 3 hours
Japanese: 0 hours
Swedish: 0 hours

I wrote a while ago some resolutions for 2017. I have not yet decided what I want to do with Spanish other than Duolingo... which is kind of like Memrise in the way that it helps with review, but with actually learning? It doesn't really seem to work for me. Maybe I just need to spend more time on it. Anyway, I have about the same amount of knowledge in Korean that I do in Spanish, so maybe using the same tactic I use with my Korean language partner could help me learn more Spanish. I'm also planning to look for some helpful sites to learn Spanish from. Anyway, I'll be writing more later. Though it's still my break, all I can think about is language learning. Hahaha...
I think that's all for now! Thanks for reading!
1 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:27 am

Hey Xelian :) I think I may have said before but I'm happy to (at least try!) to chat in Swedish with you. I'm no expert (you may already know that the speaking section was the part of the TISUS test I failed >_> ) but it might be helpful while you're looking for a language partner to have a steady exchange with. I'm lucky enough to live in a city where a regular Swedish group meets. Most of the times it's non-natives attending of all different levels, but I still found it helpful.

Aside from that, have you tried HelloTalk?
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi

Postby Xelian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:03 am

Elenia wrote:Hey Xelian :) I think I may have said before but I'm happy to (at least try!) to chat in Swedish with you. I'm no expert (you may already know that the speaking section was the part of the TISUS test I failed >_> ) but it might be helpful while you're looking for a language partner to have a steady exchange with. I'm lucky enough to live in a city where a regular Swedish group meets. Most of the times it's non-natives attending of all different levels, but I still found it helpful.

Aside from that, have you tried HelloTalk?

Oh! You might not have mentioned that, or I missed it somewhere... Well, if you want to chat, just private message me and maybe we can work something out! I need it for speaking credit outside of the classroom next quarter, so it might be a good idea to set something up before I start school again.

We have a small Swedish group here, but what ends up happening is people speak in English mostly, and I don't always have time to go to the meeting places, which can be an hour away from where I live sometimes.

I haven't tried HelloTalk... It looks really interesting. My last Swedish language partner kind of fell through as he didn't want to call when my boyfriend was around. That's a strange request... lol Anyways, I'll try HelloTalk. Maybe I'll end up preferring it over Italki+Skype (don't really like Skype that much anyway)...
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:49 am

A few things have changed since yesterday's post actually.

After mentioning Memrise yesterday, I wondered about it again. I checked back in and figured out why I didn't like it. Memrise has this default of giving you 5 cards per "session". This doesn't work for me. It feels like the word is in my short term, and before it can leave, I am reminded again, and again... But I can pass through the cards easily because I never forgot. I need at least 15 cards before I truly need to refresh the first word. So, I found out that I could change this option in the Memrise settings. I think that 25 words per session is much better. It's what I do with quizlet and it works out great. The things I do like about Memrise are that the aesthetic is great, I find it more involving than quizlet, and I can rack up points and look to the leader boards to see how much I'm doing. You also get to level up, and there are unlimited sets of cards. You can find a really nice sets with real voices, rather than quizlet's weird audio that is sometimes inaccurate, and doesn't work with all languages. Plus, you can even make your own set, it just takes some time. I think the most useful may be the review setting however, as usually it has enough cards to make a 25 card "session", unlike new words which sometimes come in too small of batches...
So, I've decided I'll spend at least 5 minutes (hopefully more) in each language on memrise... Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Swedish, and Spanish. It's a lot of languages, but since Memrise is so mellow I think I can handle it, and I won't get too overwhelmed or anything.

Haven't gotten much done for Japanese besides mass review on memrise, and a skype call with a Japanese person.
Tobira
Journal
-5 entries before New Year's

-Refresh knowledge in general

I finally had a chat in Japanese with someone, but it was kind of weird, I got stuck a little when I had something I wanted to say and couldn't understand him sometimes (this could have been due to the connection, as sometimes I just couldn't hear a word clearly). We also spoke in English. Practicing this way is okay, but his English is really good, better than my Japanese, so I don't think it was really too good of a language partner match. Anyways, I'm looking forward to contacting my Japanese friend I would video call a few years ago, as well as meeting up with someone at my university that wants to hang out and speak English and Japanese. At least I got an hour in today! My Korean language partner couldn't make it, but tomorrow we are going to call and go over a video we watched in Korean and the vocabulary.

Korean: 3 hours
Japanese: 1 hour
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Re: (TAC 2017) Japanese, Swedish, and Korean Language Log

Postby Xelian » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:05 am

Since I have some extra time before school starts up again, it looks like I'm updating this log everyday this week.

So, today I completed my goals for these Memrise sets:
Learning sets (these are the sets I'm going through without knowing too many of the words):
Spanish (Mexico) 1 - It's a pretty easy set, I have to say, but I'm learning some new things! This is my only hope for doing productive work with Spanish, so I'm trying it out and I like it.
Mandarin Reading Survival- This set is also surprisingly easy! I already know MOST of the characters (what they mean) but it's really cool to hear the real Chinese pronunciation! It also is helping me distinguish the tones and teaching me kanji that are only seen commonly in China, vs in Japan.
Every TTMIK Lesson (Levels 1-9) - This is a HUUUGE set!! Some of the words I've heard but have never spelled, so it's useful for learning how to spell on my Korean language keyboard. I'm barely moving through the set, but I think it's a good set to learn some Korean from. Plus, I don't have to look for another set because it's going to take me ages to complete. (5363 new words!!) I am trying to practice Korean a lot, as I don't want to stay ignorant of the Korean language.

Review sets (these are the sets I am just whizzing through):
JLPT N5 Grammar - Super easy, but it's giving me a good brush up on old materials as well as teaching me some words I haven't heard before. I plan to move to the JLPT N4 and N3 grammar sets as soon as I'm done with this one.
N4 Kanji - Also mostly review, as I'm pretty advanced as far as kanji goes, but I do think it is important review to get through, as there are still a couple kanji I don't recognize from the set. I'm almost done!!
Genki 1 Kanji Vocabulary - I completed the 'Genki 1' (w/out kanji) two summers ago, and it took me a really long time even going extremely fast through it. This kanji set, however, has a lot of compound kanji words that I wasn't taught in my class, and it's also great review. After I go through this, I'll go through the 'Genki 2 kanji vocabulary' set.
Genki 2 Vocabulary - This set has vocabulary and kanji to go with it, so I like it a lot for reviewing the Genki 2 book.
Hacking Swedish - I started this one quite a while ago, but now I am back at it after taking a Swedish class and it is a lot of review. I'm about half way done with this one.

This looks like a lot to do, but when you consider I'm spending around 5 minutes on each set per day, it's almost no time at all. Sometimes I'll go over 5 minutes since it goes by way too quickly... lol.. Also, the sets will thin out as I complete them and/or abandon them (hopefully I can complete all the ones I've started..). Anyways, I'll let you know how it goes! I've gotten a 2 day streak so far!

Tobira
Journal
-4 entries before New Year's

Japanese is going good, just using memrise and looking through the textbook from time to time. I'm writing a daily journal until New Year's. I also started a HelloTalk and I chose my 'learning' language as Japanese, so I've gotten a couple messages from Japanese people. I feel that this site is a lot better than Italki so far, because it's kind of fun to look at all the profiles and foreign language posts... Almost like Facebook meets Instagram meets Italki meets Skype meets Lang-8... lol... Yeah, it has a lot of cool features ahaha... But yet so much less pressure than Italki+Skype I feel like. I don't know why but it feels like less of an obligation and I think that's great.

I also have been watching the "Erin Ga Chosen! Nihongo Dekimasu" Youtube videos (Erin's Challenge video compilation). The Japanese is VERY easy for me, but it gives me a confidence boost that I can understand almost all of it, and there's a lot of cultural points that are interesting to me (though some are severely outdated, like flip phones in Japan... lol) also, there are a few words I've learned, for example, 挑戦. Haha.
There are some Japanese videos I'm watching that are more useful, like the JLPT N3 grammar lessons on youtube by Nihongonomori, and watching HikakinTV on occasion. Anyways, those are all all activities that are off and on and optional for me. Though I'm not paying too much attention to Tobira, I'll have to when school starts in a week anyways, so it's fine to do some fun things for now. In fact, it helps my enthusiasm for Japanese ^^

-Review Quizlet for new words learned with language partner

Today my Korean language partner was late, but we still managed to get an hour in! We called and went over some grammar from the youtube video we watched in Korean. If you're curious which one, it's here. I think it's pretty cool because it has English, Korean, and Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYZFbvQ-Ws8

Korean: 4 hours

Yup, that's all for now!
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Re: (TAC 2017) Japanese, Swedish, and Korean Language Log

Postby Xelian » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:57 am

I joined the TAC East Asian Team 2017 (Edit: Ok, apparently it isn't associated with TAC though the polls debating whether or not to create an East Asian Team we made were about TAC...) , and have changed the title of this log accordingly (if you want to join the team or just take a look, here is the link: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=59358#p59358 ) So I'm dedicated to Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin for the whole year! Yaaay! I'll have a more clear plan of what I'm going to do to keep up with these languages once the school year starts, which is like... next week... lol.

Memrise sets = complete for the day. I now have a 3 day streak.
I have the urge to just power through a lot of them (since the majority are review, ugh) but I don't know if I will have the time.

I wrote an entry in Japanese today. Still not too much time to look through Tobira, but I think it's fine still. I'm just going to do journalling for now I think, if I have time I'll look at the Tobira stuff before class.

Journal
-3 entries before New Year's

-Review Quizlet for new words learned with language partner

I skyped my Korean language partner today for about an hour. We are working on some conversational things now, on top of the video stuff.

Korean: 5 hours

On a side note, I downloaded the "Pleco" app for looking up words in Chinese and looked at the website http://www.askbennychinese.com/ to try and learn some Mandarin. I read through some of the grammar points on this beautiful website: https://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/
So, I'm all set up to start learning basic Mandarin! I'm excited, I really have been wanting to learn more!!

I am also trying to find more resources to learn Mexican/Latin American Spanish. I grew up in New Mexico, and I am very use to this type of Spanish. To me, Mexican Spanish just has a warmth to it that I do not feel in Castilian Spanish. I can already pronounce the words well when I read them, (which you may or may not not believe), but regardless I feel it would be really hard to unlearn what I already know as Spanish pronunciation and try speaking it the Castilian way.. And so, I want to find more resources to learn and solidify my Mexican Spanish accent.
The only place I have found so far is this radio website: http://www.e-radio.edu.mx/
However, I realize the reality that I'd be missing out on some good Spanish resources if I only focused on resources that included only one or a few regions. So, I'll be looking for some resources that I like, and not focus on the accent as much. Besides, I don't think I could unlearn something so ingrained. ^^
Last edited by Xelian on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Re: East Asian x Swedish & Spanish Language Log (TAC 2017)

Postby Xelian » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:45 am

Hello again everyone,

So, I haven't done much besides update the first post of this log to include my language learning history (don't want to lose what I've done on HTLAL) and finished a 5 day streak on Memrise. I also am making a new YouTube vlog (in English) describing my language plans for this year and the future.

I'm very satisfied with this newly compiled "ultimate log" as I'm going to call it. ^^
It has everything from when I first became interested in the languages to where I stand now with them, it's very neat and I like it.

It's almost New Year's and a lot is going on so I didn't talk to my Korean partner today or yesterday. But, we will resume soon! If I haven't already mentioned it, I think my Korean is advancing even with just the 5 hours we spent already. 5 hours is a lot, actually.

So, my resolutions for this year are at the first post, but I want to place them here and add more detail:

-Joined TAC East Asian Team (Japanese B2; Korean A2; Mandarin beginner)
*I want to consistently check in with this group and update my language log when I can, which is at least once a week.

-Taking Japanese 312; Swedish 102
*I want to try my best in these courses, while still taking the time to study a lot outside of class. (Not like I have a lot of time or anything, but I want to try)
*I want to find a solid Japanese language partner and a Swedish language partner
*I want to journal in Japanese as much as I can
*Japan trip (I'll be going this summer and making videos)!!! So pumped~

-Studying Korean with a language partner
*I want to talk with my language partner for 1 hour at least twice a week
-Other stuff for Korean
*I want to be able to understand all materials up to the Korean 102 class, so I can jump in at the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018 no problem (wish me luck!)
*I want to finish the Pimsleur Korean discs

-Getting down the basics of Mandarin and Spanish
*I want to discover good materials and get down the basics of these languages, at least A1 in Mandarin and MAYBE B1 in Spanish, but this would take a lot of work. I may end up staying at A2, on the brink of B1. We'll see.
*I want to finish the Pimsleur Mandarin discs

And of course, I'll be on Memrise and Quizlet tons, as well as gathering sentences for the 10,000 sentences SRS challenge: http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2586
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Re: East Asian x Swedish & Spanish Language Log (TAC 2017)

Postby Xelian » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 am

Today I called my Korean language partner again. Looks like I am going to need to get down and study some verbs, because I can't do hardly anything with them right now. I memorized a lot of things that my language partner has helped me with, but I'm falling behind with adjectives and verbs.

Korean: 6 hours

Other than that, I'm finishing up my Memrise sets (6 day streak!!! wow) and will write another Japanese journal later tonight. When school starts, I'll be back at it with my Japanese again, and will be looking for a Japanese language partner. Though I'm feeling a bit pressured on time already, unfortunately. Being a full time student is hard!
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Re: East Asian x Swedish & Spanish Language Log

Postby Xelian » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 am

So, classes start tomorrow morning, much to my surprise. For some reason I thought that they started on Wednesday!!

Anyways, that means it's time to set up a "progress report" for my languages.

This is what the next quarter (10 weeks) will look like:

Similar format to last quarter, but I added a "lecture homework" section, the "project paper", "project speech", and the syllabus says there is only one oral exam, so I changed that accordingly. I think that in place of the two writing projects that we had last quarter, we are having the speech and paper for this mystery project listed on the syllabus.
Progress report:
Japanese 312:
-0/3 Tobira chapters completed
-1/16 lecture homework pages completed
-0/7 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/3 kanji quizzes taken
-0/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 project paper completed
-0/1 project speech completed
-0/1 oral interview taken
-0/1 final exam taken

The syllabus for Swedish isn't up yet, (not really surprised) but I think it's safe to assume that we'll have the same kind of schedule. If not, I'll fix it later. Keep in mind, this is Swedish 102, and it's a very relaxed class compared to any of the classes I've taken at this school. We do have daily homework assignments, but these aren't really worth counting up and typing below. I also added a "Swedish conversation outside the classroom" section. We had this last quarter as well but I didn't list it here.
Progress report:
Swedish 102:
-0/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-0/6 chapter quizzes taken
-0/2 verbal exams taken
-0/2 written exams taken
-0/10 20 min Swedish conversations outside the classroom

I already finished the lecture homework for Japanese (bought the course packet a few hours ago). This is because the instructor said "できたらやっておいて下さい" and so I did. I can't believe she is allowed to assign work before the quarter even starts XD... But I mean I'm not really complaining, I do enjoy Japanese a lot and I'm glad she's encouraging us to work hard on Japanese. "It's not 1st year Japanese anymore, we're serious in 3rd year."

But anyway, I think that writing in my Japanese journal almost everyday for 3 weeks improved my writing speed in Japanese quite a lot, I'm enjoying it! I didn't even have to think twice about answering things on the lecture 1 homework.

As for my other languages, I will be posting my exact plans for them soon, (including a more detailed schedule or something to that effect) but for now I've got:

Korean:
-Speak to Korean language partner at least 2 times a week for 1 hour
-Review words learned in calls on Quizlet
-Finish the "Every TTMIK Lesson (Levels 1-9)" Memrise
-At some point, start the "Howtostudykorean.com Unit 1" set on Memrise

Mandarin:
-Finish the "Mandarin Reading Survival" set on Memrise
-Read through the "Allsetlearning Chinese" website online to learn grammar etc.

Spanish:
-Finish the "Spanish (Mexico) 1" Memrise set
-Find a good website for beginner Spanish grammar

Korean: 5 hours

Thinking this quarter will be over in a flash. Thanks for reading~!
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Re: East Asian x Swedish & Spanish Language Log

Postby Xelian » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:23 am

So, today was my first day of the winter quarter.
Japanese class was pretty usual actually, haha.
Progress report:
Japanese 312:
-0/3 Tobira chapters completed
-1/16 lecture homework pages completed
-0/7 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/3 kanji quizzes taken
-0/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 project paper completed
-0/1 project speech completed
-0/1 oral interview taken
-0/1 final exam taken

For Swedish, there's just one extra thing I added, "vocabulary quizzes". I recommended this to my teacher anonymously last quarter, thinking it wouldn't actually happen, but now we have a weekly vocabulary quiz. Hahaha.. I think it's a good thing, as people weren't retaining words, and the only way to retain words is to memorize/remember them, so I think this is good. Plus, it's only like 15 words a week, which is pretty minimal if you ask me.
Progress report:
Swedish 102:
-0/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-0/6 chapter quizzes taken
-0/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/2 verbal exams taken
-0/2 written exams taken
-0/10 20 min Swedish conversations outside the classroom

I also managed to fit in a bit of Memrise! I now have an 8 day streak! So it is achievable, like I thought. Though my schedule is busy, I can fit in a few extra minutes for it.

I called my Korean language partner today, but the connection was bad so we had to stop early and only did 30 minutes.
Korean: 5 1/2 hours
0 x

Return to “Language logs”