The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Re: The Polyglot Gathering in Berlin

Postby Vedun » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:56 am

Jimjam wrote:I am very interested in attending but I'm not going to know my class schedule for that semester until February. If I wait until then, do you think I will miss out on a spot?
What do you mean? Just good places for accommodation? Don't tell me there are quotas for events! :s
0 x

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:21 am

Vedun wrote:What do you mean? Just good places for accommodation? Don't tell me there are quotas for events! :s

I'm not 100% but I believe they have limits for how many tickets they sell. Probably due to how many people the venue can hold. I think they might have run out of tickets last year but I believe the venue was smaller so there should be more available in 2017.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 am

I have registered now (but not yet and paid the fee). The main problem with the new setup is that we get scattered all over the town because accommodation this time is individual - and that also makes it more complicated to know beforehand what the total expenses will be. I visited Bratislava last year in connection with the Esperanto conference in Nitra, and it is a nice place with reasonable prices and a well functioning transport system - and far less tourists than for instance Praha.
0 x

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:57 am

Jimjam wrote:
Vedun wrote:What do you mean? Just good places for accommodation? Don't tell me there are quotas for events! :s

I'm not 100% but I believe they have limits for how many tickets they sell. Probably due to how many people the venue can hold. I think they might have run out of tickets last year but I believe the venue was smaller so there should be more available in 2017.

For the gathering as whole or specific subevents? How many places were there last year and how many are there now?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:06 am

Vedun wrote:
Jimjam wrote:

For the gathering as whole or specific subevents? How many places were there last year and how many are there now?

Last year it was for the gathering as a whole, since you decide which events you go to on the day. There was a limit but I don't know the official limit. I think it was probably 100-200 people. I know that in 2015 I didn't sign up quick enough and missed it.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Does anyone know whether it's possible to register without paying? I want to register but ought to wait until next month to pay.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm

I think so. You certainly could last year. And I think Iversen mentioned having registered without paying immediately.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:32 pm

rdearman wrote:Well that sucks! The woman who could have taught me Slovakian has left my company. More importantly this might mean I'm not going to get cookies for learning Finnish. :(
Your devotion to learning languages for the pure joy of it overwhelms me! :lol:
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I think so. You certainly could last year. And I think Iversen mentioned having registered without paying immediately.

Ah, yes, so it says. Have you registered? I hope you are able to go :)
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:42 pm

There are more spots this year - but it may still sell out due to the venue capacity.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Travel and Culture”