Interest in an East Asian TAC team in 2017?

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)

Would you be interested in participating in an East Asian language TAC team in 2017?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:19 am

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 12

Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Interest in an East Asian TAC team in 2017?

Postby Sizen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:19 am

So far, there is only very limited interest in the idea of a new East Asian languages TAC team in 2017, so I thought I'd formalize the process of testing the waters by putting it to a poll.

I've put my name forward as a potential leader for the group, but I'm not opposed to someone with more experience taking the reins, especially if they have the support of other members.

Feel free to leave any comments in this thread about anything you might want or expect from a new group in 2017.
1 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Re: Interest in an East Asian TAC team in 2017?

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:51 am

I'm interested. If there would only be a team for Korean instead of all East Asian languages, then I'd join them as Korean will be my focus of 2017.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 pm

The whole idea of TAC hasn't really caught up in this new forum. I'd definitely join, but a permanent East Asian thread would make more sense (or separate ones did each language).
4 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Like Expugnator said, I think a general East Asian/separate language group thread. Either way, I'd follow along with the TAC if one was done, since current plans have me focusing on Japanese next year, but I don't think I'd be willing to do a full-on TAC.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Postby Nandemonai » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

Expugnator wrote:The whole idea of TAC hasn't really caught up in this new forum. I'd definitely join, but a permanent East Asian thread would make more sense (or separate ones did each language).

I have to agree with this. The team was rather inactive during the second half of the year. Signing up for a TAC is a big commitment that not everybody would want/be able to make.
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:20 am

I'm learning Japanese and Korean, and I'm pretty darn interested in Mandarin also, and would like to start digging into some materials to learn Mandarin, so this would literally be my dream team for 2017. I've already got a language log up with my Japanese and Swedish progress for this past year, (I'm also learning Swedish) it's comparatively slow over the holidays but during the school year it is very busy since I take language courses. I am fully committed to at least Japanese, and will be studying it the entire year of 2017. I've been learning it for about 3 years in school (middle, high, and college level courses), and 4 years out of school (self-studying during the summers and high school when they didn't offer any more Japanese courses), and now am adding more schooling this year and next at the least ^^.

EDIT:
Ok, I read up on TAC and saw the one for last year's East Asian langs... I'd totally be up for doing this, and I also put my name in for being a potential leader.^^
I think if we made individual threads for each language it would be really even more challenging to get enough people to join in, but... it might be more useful for the group if everyone was learning the same language(s).
But yeah, sign me up, sounds amazing!!
Last edited by Xelian on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:40 pm

I'll join (for Japanese) if a TAC team forms. It does seem, however, that TAC isn't such a hit with this forum as it was before.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi

Postby Xelian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:20 am

I think that if we start a TAC team, that the people should be more committed to it from the start, unless they have some kind of accident or issue going on in their lives. That's totally understandable, and seemed to happen a lot without notice in the last East Asian team TAC. It would be nice if they at least said "Hey, I can't do the challenge anymore, but it was fun while it lasted" before they leave. I think maybe it would be a good idea for people to post once a week or at least once every two weeks. Posting once a month doesn't really give the sense of community TAC tries to give.

Regardless, if a thread is up by Jan 1st, I'll definitely be posting in it! ^^ I'm watching this board like a hawk lol
0 x

OCCASVS
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English, Polish (B2/C1), French (B2), Chinese (A2/B1), Japanese (A1)
Studying: Polish, Chinese, Japanese

Postby OCCASVS » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:16 am

Hello. I would be interested in joining this team, as I am planning to spend a semester in China for improving my Chinese, and consequently go to East Asia for the first time in my life in 2017. I am also steadily learning Japanese, but at a lower pace.

Generally I am a lurker, but if there is some "expected participation level", that will push me to post regularly :) The rest of the time, I am mostly just studying...
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:10 am

ロータス wrote:Couldnt wait until New Years so here it is lol

Thanks for the late Christmas present.. XD I was so excited to see it this evening!!

Also, I need to sign up on the TAC thread before I can join the East Asian TAC team right?
0 x

Return to “Language Challenges”