NIKOLIĆ's log: An exercise in futility (Arabic, Romanian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: NIKOLIĆ's log: An exercise in futility.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:44 am

Today's Persian practice:

Alphabet:
I've learned to write all the letters in their initial, detached and final positions, and all that I have left to learn now regarding the alphabet is how to write just a couple of medial forms and when to use which form of the letters that have the same sound. I'm generally surprised that it took me just a couple of days to do this. I don't know why, but I always thought of the Arabic script as this intimidating and immensely complicated way of writing. Silly me. Of course, I still read and write extremely slow, but still.

Assimil - Lesson #4 dialogue:

The Infinitive and Simple past forms of the verbs "to go" and "to write":
1 x
How yes no.

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:37 am

rfnsoares wrote:Hi!
I've been following you log with keen interest. I'm also learning the Romanian language and I've started my studies with the DLI Romanian Basic Course. I've just finished the first volume (lessons 1-15). I'm working on one lesson a day (45min-1 hour). The course is great (so far) for self-study, I can say. I'll stick to it. The lessons are simple, the vocabulary presented is very suitable for a lesson a day, there are a lot drills for grammar and a reading section.
Well, since you are not a beginner, maybe the first lessons will not be very useful, only for grammar and vocabulary review. ;)

Hello there!

I'm glad to hear you're finding the DLI course useful.

Are you using any other courses, and more importantly, what are your sources of native input?

Baftă![/quote]

Hello!
Due to lack of time, I'm using only the DLI courses. I only have 45-1h per day. First, I want to finish and review the 79 lessons by the beginning of December. I will have a good foundations. In my spare time, I'm watching some episodes on youtube "Nimeni nu-i perfect". After that, I'll review the content with the Colloquial Serie and read Romanian newspapers.
I really like the Romanian language, but on the other hand, I have to improve my English, French and Russian, which are my priorities. :)
1 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:23 am

Holy cow. I just finished lesson 4 of DLI's MSA course. My progress with MSA has been less than stellar so far, mostly because I've been juggling so many languages and I can't really expect to make progress with such a hard language while allocating so little time to it. But, if you happen to need someone to translate "Syria's army is small." or "That's the Jordanian field marshal, and he's well-know there." into Arabic, I'm your guy.

I've also completed lesson #30 of DLI's Romanian Basic course. I'm running into maybe 2-3 unknown words per lesson, and most of those have been useful military related words.

OK, now I'm gonna write a bit about what's been going through my head these past couple of weeks related to language learning and my own limitations. I've never been a voracious reader nor have I written a lot. I've never talked about complicated issues nor discussed politics, art, music or literature in an academic setting. I'm absolutely terrible at keeping a conversation going and I also can't seem to organize my train of thought in a logical manner. I've always seen myself as a guy that just sits in the back and listens, interjecting or chiming in only when there's something new to add to the discussion, and that's it. When I answer a question, my response is usually just one sentence, and then I'm like: "What's the next question?" while my interlocutor is like: "Is that all?Hmm." This goes both for my native language and the rest of them. I always roll my eyes when I hear somebody (my classmates for example) talking about things that are blatantly obvious. On the other hand, when I hear somebody explain something in a long-winded but crystal clear and eloquent manner, I'm like: "Man, where did they learn to speak like that??"

Here's a stupid thing I used to do. I'd imagine myself taking part in a discussion, spitting lines of wisdom left and right, sentence after sentence, absolutely crushing my "opponent's" arguments and impressing everyone that happened to be listening, and yet I never did that in real life. Maybe I was just looking for some sort of recognition or appreciation in my own little imaginary world? I have no idea why I used to do that.

I want to get better at writing, but I don't want to write. I want to get better at speaking, but I don't want to speak. It's such a catch-22. A part of me always goes: "What's the point? "What are you gonna get out of it?".

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to be a great speaker or writer. The very fact that it took me a good 30 minutes to write this post pretty much confirms it. I don't have an interesting life story or anecdote to tell and I do the same things every single day.

Maybe this is just something that comes with age and experience?
2 x
How yes no.

A Callidryas
White Belt

Postby A Callidryas » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 am

It may have taken you thirty minutes to write your last post, but it reads like it was written by a native speaker who writes well.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:49 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:I don't have an interesting life story or anecdote to tell and I do the same things every single day.

Maybe this is just something that comes with age and experience?

"With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone."

You'll always have Muzzy.
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:01 pm

1 x
How yes no.

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:29 am

It looks like you can actually write :)
To have an incredible amount of anecdotes you either have to be:
- old
- experienced
Or
- American. Being American helps ;)
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:39 pm

My relatives from Romania came for a visit during the last weekend, so I got to spend 3 quality days of interacting with them. I was able to hold my own and I managed to work my way around not being able to express exactly what I wanted to say. I've finally decided to put Romanian in the "Speaks" category. I think it was about time, especially after having been studying it for almost 2 years now. I know most of the grammar rules (not to say I don't make any mistakes) and I'm "functional" in the language, but I'm still gonna work my way through some courses that I'm currently using. After I'm done with them, I'm going to focus on reading more books and watching more movies in order to obtain a deeper understand of the language and grasp all the nuances and cultural references. I might even spend a couple of weeks next year in Romania to try to polish and fine tune some of the things that are not quite automatic for me right now.

Levantine Arabic:
Finished lesson #4 of "Colloquial Arabic" and I finally got around to finishing lesson #1 of DLI's Syrian Arabic course.

Here are some recordings I made a couple of days ago. I still need to have them checked by a native speaker, just to make sure I'm not creating any bad pronunciation habits:

Colloquial Arabic - Exercises
Colloquial Arabic - Vocabulary
DLI Syrian - L1 Dialogue
4 x
How yes no.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:25 pm

I started training jiu-jitsu last week and I haven't had the willpower to do any textbook studying, since I usually come back late from my practice and my whole body is sore as hell from all the rolling and drilling. Snap out of it, don't be lazy!

Levantine Arabic:
Finally got some feedback on my pronunciation. I honestly wasn't expecting this. Shadowing feels like cheating sometimes. Now if I could only learn about 3000 more words and start talking to people...

Wow, I'm speechless. Your accent is almost like that of a native speaker, almost perfect! I noticed that you have a Syrian accent, have you been learning the Syrian dialect? You pronounced everything just great, there weren't any mistakes I could point out, maybe just one word: "عَمَّان", you'd just have to stress the "shadda" more. I think with time it will passively get even better, you're doing great, keep it up!

Here's another recording. I need to work on pronouncing ح(7) and ع(3) when they're right next to each other like in the syntagm[?] ra7 3a = he went to. I made a short pause in order to pronounce it correctly, but I noticed that native speakers kinda blend them or don't pronounce the 7 fully?

Palestinian Arabic - Lesson 5 Text
2 x
How yes no.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:45 am

Congratulations! It sounds like you should be very proud of all your work! Of course there is more to do, there always is. But take the time to be proud of these successes too!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”