Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: Sites/Apps like Readlang, Lingq, Lingua.ly, etc.

Postby Stefan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:07 pm

limey75 wrote:1) The size of the texts you can import. It made 51 separate texts out of Kafka's Die Verwandlung, which is a bit annoying. So you can only use bite-sized texts with it.

It uses a lot of calls to the database so I assume it's due to performance. I prefer to have shorter texts that I can complete in one sitting so I make each chapter into a texts. Then I archive the text afterwards so it just uses a fraction of the space in the database.

limey75 wrote:2) Dictionary look up errors. When using the other default dictionary than Google Translate, I always get the following message:

"There is a limit of Glosbe API calls that may be done from one IP address in a fixed period of time, to prevent from abuse."

But I've only ever tried to look up TWO words! And I cannot see how to change the default dictionaries - does anyone know how?

Go to "My Languages" on the start page and then click on the edit button. There you can replace the dictionary and change custom settings for specific languages. Unfortunately I don't know about the Glosbe problem, try their forum. I created a file named ggl.php and use it to fetch from the Google API:

ggl.php?ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en&text=###

limey75 wrote:3) Once you've said you know all the words on the page, there seems to be no way to reverse that decision.

Since you just started, I believe you could delete the language and create a new one from scratch. I would recommend turning to the official help section for help though: Link

limey75 wrote:4) Getting authentic, public-domain texts in the first place. You're limited by what you can get for free and out of copyright, unless you can find a way to import paid-for e-books?

I simply copy/paste a chapter at a time from my eBook. Not sure if some got protection against it?

limey75 wrote:I wonder if there is a altered version out there which allows for much larger texts in one go?

Both andreask7 and jo91 forked it but I haven't used them so I can't comment.
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Cainntear wrote:Just tried installing it myself and I'm just getting a blank page* in Firefox and an HTTP 500 error in Chromium.

(* Like literally blank. View source opens up a 1 line file with no content at all.)

PHP is clearly running, as there's no 404, and if I don't have a connect.inc.php file in the directory I get the instruction to rename one of the existing files.

I get the same behaviour with the lwt-master fork, and I get the blank page/500 error in freelwt-master, which doesn't have the connect.inc.php file at all.

I can't see any advice about this in the FAQ...
0 x

limey75
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); intermediate: German, Norwegian, Old English.
Reading: Die Verwandlung, Der alte Mann und das Meer;
Doing courses: Assimil German, Migranorsk (online).

Postby limey75 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:00 am

Many thanks Stefan, that clears some things up.

Now I'm asking on the LWT help forum to try to get my chosen look-up dictionaries to work.
Last edited by limey75 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
De nordiske sprog stod hele livet igennem hans hjerte nærmest, og ligesom de, og særlig islandsk, stedse var det centrale i al hans forskning, således er også hans største fortjenester knyttede til dem...Wikipedia, om Rasmus Christian Rask

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 am

jo11 wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Just tried installing it myself and I'm just getting a blank page* in Firefox and an HTTP 500 error in Chromium.

(* Like literally blank. View source opens up a 1 line file with no content at all.)

PHP is clearly running, as there's no 404, and if I don't have a connect.inc.php file in the directory I get the instruction to rename one of the existing files.

I get the same behaviour with the lwt-master fork, and I get the blank page/500 error in freelwt-master, which doesn't have the connect.inc.php file at all.

I can't see any advice about this in the FAQ...

free-lwt isn't ready to use yet. At the moment it is in development stage. You would need composer to install the development version. (which database isn't compatible to learning-with-texts)
There will be an release with setup instructions in future.
Please use official lwt or andreask7's fork now...

If you use official lwt or andreask'7, you need to rename connect_xampp.inc.php to connect.inc.php. This should fix your error .

Sadly not. The page is blank when I have connect_xampp.inc.php renamed as connect.inc.php. I renamed the file to see what happens and I got the error stating there was no connect.inc.php file in the browser, which proved to me that Apache was running and PHP was working.

I've not done any server-side work before... where would I find the Apache logs to see if there's an error coming up?
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm

jo11 wrote:did you install xampp? (assuming you use windows) just php is not enough.

LinuxMint.

sudo apt-get install lamp-server^ didn't work (no such package in the repositories I'm using) so I instead used sudo apt-get install php5 mysql-server apache2 as per advice on the internet.

After your message, I installed XAMPP, but because I had another Apache instance running, it didn't work. So I used apt-get remove to clear off the three packages (php5, mysql-server and apache2). The command line and GUI confirmed that XAMPP's Apache instance was running, but MySQL wasn't. I reran the installer file, rebooted etc -- no change.

I've now got Apache and ProFTPD running (ProFTPD always worked) and showing in the GUI (and command line) but MySQL still doesn't go. I've copied the LWT directory into /opt/lampp/htdocs and now when I try to access it in a webserver (<<computer-id>>/lwt) I get a page telling me that MySQL isn't running.
0 x

ibrahimovic
White Belt
Languages: Malay (N) English (C1) German (A2)

Postby ibrahimovic » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Since there is many who know LWT better than I do, is there a way to set-up an offline dictionary?

I have a limited data plan as I live in the small town in a 3rd world country.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Hmmm... clearly uninstalling mysql-server wasn't enough, and it's left several packages behind... including the actual server, which is still running -- the log for XAMPP's MySQL instance says:

2016-10-19 17:00:42 140262163695488 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port. Got error: 98: Address already in use
2016-10-19 17:00:42 140262163695488 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on port: 3306 ?
2016-10-19 17:00:42 140262163695488 [ERROR] Aborting

...so I ran mysql from the command line and it was still using the password that I set up during my install of the mysql-server package. Now I've just got to work out how to kill that mysql instance...
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:54 pm

Cainntear wrote:Hmmm... clearly uninstalling mysql-server wasn't enough, and it's left several packages behind... including the actual server, which is still running -- the log for XAMPP's MySQL instance says:

2016-10-19 17:00:42 140262163695488 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port. Got error: 98: Address already in use
2016-10-19 17:00:42 140262163695488 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on port: 3306 ?
2016-10-19 17:00:42 140262163695488 [ERROR] Aborting

...so I ran mysql from the command line and it was still using the password that I set up during my install of the mysql-server package. Now I've just got to work out how to kill that mysql instance...

I figured changing the port number in the MySQL config window would probably do the job. Changed it to 3307 et voilà... the server started immediately and I now have a working local LWT instance. Cheers!
1 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:03 pm

limey75 wrote:2) Dictionary look up errors. When using the other default dictionary than Google Translate, I always get the following message:

"There is a limit of Glosbe API calls that may be done from one IP address in a fixed period of time, to prevent from abuse."

But I've only ever tried to look up TWO words! And I cannot see how to change the default dictionaries - does anyone know how?

That's a possible reason. Most likely you haven't set the language codes for the Glosbe dictionary.

If you see this in the "dictionary1" or "dictionary2" entry: glosbe_api.php?from=••&dest=••&phrase=### -- including specifically those little black circles "••" -- you need to set the language codes for your source (target) and destination (native) languages, eg. fr for French, en for English, de for German.
0 x

Marais

Postby Marais » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:18 pm

limey75 wrote:

1) The size of the texts you can import. It made 51 separate texts out of Kafka's Die Verwandlung, which is a bit annoying. So you can only use bite-sized texts with it.

You can do 'long text import' which will give you 999 sentences for one text. The program says 980 but i can do 999 for some reason.

4) Getting authentic, public-domain texts in the first place. You're limited by what you can get for free and out of copyright, unless you can find a way to import paid-for e-books?

You could always just use what's on the internet. Plenty of stuff out there for free even if it's not meant to be free.

If you don't like this, LingQ's library can easily be copied into LWT. You should be able to do this just with a free account. There is a guy, for French, who did a 50-odd part series on French history.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”