Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Open Source (Open License) Textbooks

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:59 pm

12 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Open Source (Open License) Textbooks

Postby aokoye » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:22 am

Some more links for creative commons (or creative commons esq) language textbooks:
  • University of Texas' First year Hindi/Urdu textbooks
  • The University of Texas at Austin's COERLL project which includes the above books, beginning textbooks for French, Yorùbá, and German, literature books, grammar books, etc. They cover 16 languages in total. I think there's also a Latin resource somewhere the University of Texas at Austin website as well. I've heard very good things about the French and German textbooks.
  • Ohio State University has free textbooks (in PDF and Flash formats) for Korean, Chinese, and Japanese.
  • UCLA has a bunch of resources for heritage learners of Arabic, Russian, Hindi/Urdu, Persian, and Armenian including online courses on various scripts (some of them require you sign up for free in order to use them).
  • Monash University has first and second year Korean Textbooks.
  • Not so much a textbook as much as an entire course - York University in Canada has the vast majority their material - text, audio, vocab lists, recorded lectures, and recorded tutorials - for four levels of Japanese online. A lot of it is available in PDF form. The links are currently don't work (they're not dead so much as they don't go anywhere) but the first year course is here.
8 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Irene

Postby Irene » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Also, I would like to share my recently published free online textbook library. It contains various educational textbooks on more than 24 disciplines. Hope you enjoy using it!

http://smart.study/blog/1000-open-textbooks-and-learning-resources-for-all-subjects/
1 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Liberté, by Gretchen Angelo, is a first-year college French textbook with a true communicative approach.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 pm

The first URL doesn't work (anymore), but this one does:
http://collegeopentextbooks.org/textboo ... unications
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)

Postby aokoye » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:52 am

More textbooks:

Portland State University has a number of creative commons licensed free textbooks which can be found here. As of posting this there are 6 textbooks. One for ESL students, a third year Spanish lit book (which uses literature that is out of copyright), two business Japanese textbooks, one Korean lit book, and an Arabic textbook for intermediate learners (which appears to aim to transition students from MSA to various colloquial dialects). Beginning Japanese book looks more than a bit meh, the Spanish book is probably pretty good (I went to a presentation about it by the author and thumbed through a printed version) and have no idea about the other ones.

The University of Wisconsin has a free German for Reading online book here. It's not so much a book so much as it's a series of pages on their website but they're calling it a textbook.

NetDanks has been around for a number of years and goes from A1-A2 (in Danish)

Norwegian on the Web has also been around for a while and goes to A2. They also have a similar course for the Narvik dialect here and yet another version that they made for the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research. here. The Narvik one obviously differs in dialect but from what I can tell the main difference in the original on and the Ministry of Education are storylines. From skimming the table of contents of both courses it looks like the goals are the same though.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:22 am

aokoye wrote:Some more links for creative commons (or creative commons esq) language textbooks:

The University of Texas also offers a free two-volume Persian textbook for download: Persian of Iran Today
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:50 am

Doitsujin wrote:
aokoye wrote:Some more links for creative commons (or creative commons esq) language textbooks:

The University of Texas also offers a free two-volume Persian textbook for download: Persian of Iran Today

Yeah I put the link to CORELL because they have resources for 16 languages. They've published free textbooks for five of said languages. I also put the Hindi/Urdu textbooks because the University of Texas at Austin has a Language Flagship Program in Hindi/Urdu. They also have an Arabic flagship program but they don't appear to have published a textbook for Arabic.

All and all I'm impressed with the funding that UT Austin has put towards this and their other instructional technology resources.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”