German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Practice your target languages here.
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Postby Cavesa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Elenia wrote:How does anyone understand each other? It might simply be my own misconstruction, but don't Meggie and Mo live in Germany? I can understand that Elinor might speak German, or Mo might speak Italian, but Meggie? I can even believe that German prevalence in Northern Italy helps things along, but later on in the book? Or is it simply that they are all Italian, and I just missed it?

How comes everyone in Star Trek, including the newly found planets, speaks perfect English? :-D But you are asking a very good question.

I am not reading right now, just planning to get back to it. Soon. Good to see you are all progressing so well, congratulations!
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:12 am

Cavesa wrote:
Elenia wrote:How does anyone understand each other? It might simply be my own misconstruction, but don't Meggie and Mo live in Germany? I can understand that Elinor might speak German, or Mo might speak Italian, but Meggie? I can even believe that German prevalence in Northern Italy helps things along, but later on in the book? Or is it simply that they are all Italian, and I just missed it?

How comes everyone in Star Trek, including the newly found planets, speaks perfect English? :-D But you are asking a very good question.

I am not reading right now, just planning to get back to it. Soon. Good to see you are all progressing so well, congratulations!

I've been wondering the exact same thing throughout Tintenherz. I don't know how far along you are, but there was at one point an explanation of why a new character that showed up suddenly spoke the language despite his origin, but other than that, I can't figure out how they all understand each other, even the children.

As for Star Trek, nobody speaks English, but they have universal translators, which work perfectly except when being unable to understand each other would create an interesting plot twist.
1 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Postby Egwene » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:23 pm

I think I am almost at the same chapter as you all. I am at 'Allein' or something like that. The last two weeks I have been reading a lot to catch up. I look forward to finish the book.
0 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:15 pm

It was just too exciting and I couldn't help myself --- I finished it. What a great book! I really enjoyed it, even if it was meant for children. I'll admit though, I do have a fondness for children's books. I'm just a kid at heart.

Thanks, Elenia, for starting this book club. I can hardly believe how much my German has improved since I started reading this book. Of course, it did take us several months, so I guess it would have been weird if I hadn't improved during that time.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:24 pm

I'm so glad you finished and enjoyed it, Brun, and I am also glad to hear that your German has improved! It doesn't matter about the time frame, it just matters that improvement happens :)
1 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Postby Egwene » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:21 pm

So... I had a day off and I also finished the whole book haha! I wanted to know how it ended and I am happy with the story. I also have seen some improvement, but I think that's more a result of speaking the language every day at work now.

Are we going to read another book together after this one?
2 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Well done, Egwene! I would love to read another book when I get through Tintenherz! I have loads of books on my shelves, waiting for me. I think we should take the format suggested for the next Nordic book club, with a date that we all hope to end by. That way, people can read at their own pace and not worry about falling too far behind or shooting too far ahead of the group :)
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 am

I suggest we take a little break so most of our members that are still reading can finish and then we can choose a new book and start a new thread so that new people who want to join they will see there is a new book. We could start discussing which book now though, unless everyone just wants to keep going with this series.
1 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:49 pm

I have to confess I am struggling a bit with Tintenherz at the moment. The language is just fine, in fact I think that the writing style is rather nice to read, however I have just finished the chapter Basta and am finding that after a strong start, the excitement has worn off and it's becoming a bit of a drag.

I don't want any spoilers, but does it get more exciting again?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 am

gsbod wrote:I have to confess I am struggling a bit with Tintenherz at the moment. The language is just fine, in fact I think that the writing style is rather nice to read, however I have just finished the chapter Basta and am finding that after a strong start, the excitement has worn off and it's becoming a bit of a drag.

I don't want any spoilers, but does it get more exciting again?

I thought it did, but maybe it was more the excitement of it getting easier for me to read as I went on, and also that I had more time to spend on it after finishing up some other books. But I do remember it being a bit of a drag somewhere in the middle and then becoming more fun.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”