Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Galician Resources

Postby zhuzilu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi, I'm Lucy, Galician native speaker, I have talked with two people on this forum (Spoonary) and (Olekander) and they have inspired me to write a Resources list for the Galician language, as it could be useful for some users. It makes me really proud and happy that there are people out there learning this marvellous language.
Graciñas, so let's get started! (I might translate this post to Spanish and post it in the Spanish only forum as well).

Most of the resources would be in Galician because they're aimed at native speakers or Spanish speakers. But if you can speak English/Spanish/Portuguese or any Romance languages, it would be fairly easy to understand it.

Courses

http://www.laopinioncoruna.es/estaticos/cursogalego/galego.html
This course was made by the newspaper La opinión Coruña, it has 35 lessons and I think it is quite well done, especially if you don't have access to other textbooks. The only downside to this course is that it doesn't have any audio.

http://e-galego.cesga.es/inicioc.htm
This course also looks really well done, I mean the website may look really old, but it has audio + video. You need to register to enter. It's aimed for Spanish speakers, because most of the people that would learn Galician is just Spanish speakers (either Spaniards or foreigners) that are living in Galicia at the moment and especially that want to pass the CELGA exams to get a job in the public Administration as it is mandatory.

Proficiency exams

CELGA
There are 5 levels (1 is the lowest one, 5 is the highest one). If you finish the Bachillerato in Galicia which is High School education (the last two years before University, when students are 15-16 to 17-18 years old) you would get the CELGA 4. This is the one that I have. If you want the highest one you need to do the advanced course in the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (Public Official School of languages) or have studied Filology. You could get more information about it here http://www.camarinas.net/media/documentos/Curso_Gallego.pdf

TV

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpnNK9aesY3XrRVZ0dZwALg/videos
Here you can watch some Galician dubbed movie extracts. Most of the films are American or Japanese anime. All Galician Kids grew up watching Xabarín Club (Cartoon programme) with all the classical series like Doraemon, Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Arale, Ninja Turtles, etc. All in Galician. Besides, this programme was famous for bringing local rock bands that would sing in Galician in this playlist there are 25 songs, most of them with Galician subtitles like a Karaoke https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6887F643697BB62B
This was my favourite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwL36oDeqko&index=7&list=PL6887F643697BB62B So many memories :)))

rtvg http://www.crtvg.es/tvg
This is the official website for the Galician media. Here you can watch some tv series, news, listen to the radio, all in Galician.

osarquivosdameiga http://www.osarquivosdameiga.com/
Here you can find torrents for all the movies + tv series + cartoons and so much more all in Galician.

Social Media + Webs

http://www.lingua.gal/portada
O Portal da Lingua Galega, in this web you can find some news and informations about the "Letras Galegas Day" that is a holiday in which every year a Galician author would be chosen and there would hommages to that author, this year the author was Manuel María.

Facebook
Pelis dobladas al gallego (pulp fiction, terminator, las de Clint eastwood https://www.facebook.com/Pelisdobradasaogalego
Funny Galician memes, funny dubbed movies, traditional saying, funny news, I mean this page is great it's like the Galician 9gag kind of.

Most of the Government webpages include a button that will read the text for the blind people, and it's actually quite well done, I mean the way of speaking, you'll almost wouldn't realise it's a robot. http://www.xunta.gal/portada

Libros

If you have the chance to live in Galicia, your easiest bet is to go to your public library and get a library card, as it will be filled with books in Galician (both from Galician native authors or the latest translated best-seller)

If you live abroad then check these resources: http://maos.gal/sitios-onde-descargar-gratis-libros-en-galego-e-portugues/

Wish you luck with your Galician studies, and feel free to ask me anything!! :))
16 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

Olekander
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (Native), French, Russian.
Studied: Latin, Catalan, Spanish, Mandarin, Czech, Ukrainian

Studying: Turkish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2995

Re: Galician Resources

Postby Olekander » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:49 pm

THis is brilliant! thank you very much for taking the time to compile all of this valuable material! it's greatly appreciated!
2 x
Да нет. :roll:

: 1000 / 1000 1,000 Russian words: started 15/06/2016 :)
: 15 / 365 365 scriptorium transcriptions: started 19/06/2016
: 2 / 1010 Russian books: 4/06/2016
: 3 / 2121 units of Parla.cat

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:01 pm

zhuzilu wrote:If you have the chance to live in Galicia, your easiest bet is to go to your public library and get a library card, as it will be filled with books in Galician (both from Galician native authors or the latest translated best-seller)

I did this! I still get emails from a biblioteca pública de Santiago Ánxel Casal :P

Graciñas pola lista! Se paréceche ben, eu tamén teño algunhas cousiñas para compartir.

O portal das palabras - This webite has a brilliant dictionary and articles about Galician grammar and vocabulary points

Real Academia Galega - Also has a dictionary and many interesting articles.

O instituto da lingua galega - The Galician language institute at the university of Santiago de Compostela has some great resources on its website and also runs the yearly Galician language and culture course for foreigners that I attended a few years ago and highly recommend.

There's probably more stuff in my bookmarks folders that I'm forgetting but this'll do for now.

All this talk about Galician has made me really nostalgic! :)
Last edited by Spoonary on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Postby sillygoose1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:19 am

What's the mutual intelligibility like with Portuguese? Can you understand a lot of it spoken? Is it easier to understand European or Brazilian variants?
1 x

Olekander
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (Native), French, Russian.
Studied: Latin, Catalan, Spanish, Mandarin, Czech, Ukrainian

Studying: Turkish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2995

Postby Olekander » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:48 am

sillygoose1 wrote:What's the mutual intelligibility like with Portuguese? Can you understand a lot of it spoken? Is it easier to understand European or Brazilian variants?

I asked my friend from the Algarve right in the south this very question, and he said it was more or less mutually intelligible. I found a statistic somewhere that put MI at around 85% percent.

Spoonary wrote:

All this talk about Galician has made me really nostalgic! :)

I think its a stroke of luck! Lucy very kindly remembered a brief conversation I'd had with her about liking Galician, but not actually having any time to learn it yet, and then I'm sure your extensive conversations you had with her before :P.

I'm really considering it now lol!!
Last edited by Olekander on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Да нет. :roll:

: 1000 / 1000 1,000 Russian words: started 15/06/2016 :)
: 15 / 365 365 scriptorium transcriptions: started 19/06/2016
: 2 / 1010 Russian books: 4/06/2016
: 3 / 2121 units of Parla.cat

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:26 am

Spoonary wrote:
zhuzilu wrote:Se pareceche ben, eu tamén teño algunhas cousiñas para compartir.

Paréceme xenial xa que olvidei os recursos máis obvios a RAG (é como a RAE galega) e o "portal das palabras" é coma a páxina Fundeu en galego, moitas grazas :)

Eu tamén recibo esos emails das bibliotecas públicas :)
1 x
English

Chinese

Italian

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 am

sillygoose1 wrote:What's the mutual intelligibility like with Portuguese? Can you understand a lot of it spoken? Is it easier to understand European or Brazilian variants?

You should try it yourself, having a B1 level in portuguese I'm pretty sure you could understand quite a lot. Try it with this video for example, http://www.crtvg.es/premium/programa/vaia-troula/gran-pulpada-e-verbena-de-mesia It's about a typical party in which they eat octopus.

I would say it's easier for to understand the European variant, because of its proximity. The only Brazilian that I know... I think it's only from Bossa Nova and Cansei de ser sexy :D :D
1 x
English

Chinese

Italian

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:52 am

O portal da lingua galega has the entire Aula de galego series (with audio) available to download online for free. It's a nice course and covers from CELGA 1 to 4. The book Galego coloquial is also really nice, but completely in Galician. It has a bunch of short cartoons with explanations of the vocabulary and grammar underneath. I scanned this book for uz-translations several years back, you can probably still find it online if you look. Otherwise, i've still got it and can pass it your way if anyone's interested. I also made a dictionary (which you can use in programs like GoldenDict) ripped from the Real Academia Galega's old dictionary site with around 50,000 entries (galego-galego), unfortunately i uploaded it to rapidshare, currently searching my computer for it... I can't find it, it might be backed up somewhere but for now i've started downloading the most recent version and can put together another dictionary.

There's also a computer program called Galingua for teaching Galician whose site had gone down but which Iguanamon had saved and kindly uploaded for us at HTLAL. I believe it can still be downloaded here: http://turbobit.net/3lqom1czhddd.html (internet here's too slow, the download always times out for me).
3 x

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt

Durham, UK (1 year)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)

Postby zhuzilu » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:56 pm

crush wrote:O portal da lingua galega has the entire Aula de galego series (with audio) available to download online for free. It's a nice course and covers from CELGA 1 to 4. .

Yes! Can't believe I forgot about this book series! They're really nice! And most of the foreigners (+ other Spaniards) here use it to pass the CELGA exams. Thanks for your other ressources! :D :D
0 x
English

Chinese

Italian

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 am

There is the dictionary of the Real Academia Galega, but I also use the Estraviz dictionary, which is the reintegrationist dictionary. It often has Galician words that the RAG dictionary doesn't, and it also includes Portuguese Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese words, making it a truly pan-Portuguese dictionary.

There are benefits and negatives to each dictionary. If you're after examples of the words put into sentences, the RAG dictionary has more and it's very useful for that reason.

But the RAG one ignores 'for some reason', many Galician words that are shared with Portuguese, and includes gross Spanish-isms that have either filtered into the language or that the RAG pushes and thereby causes it to be filtered into the language.

Both include conjugation tables for verbs, but in different orthographies, and the reintegrationist dictionary marks the Galician forms alongside the Portuguese forms.

Use both!
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”