Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Output Challenge 2015/2016 Discussion

Postby Elenia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:01 pm

steyyan wrote:So how are everyone doing? I went a bit overboard over the last few weeks and managed to finish the (writing only) challenge today. 50,000 words of German...

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o

Suffice it to say that I'm not doing nearly as well as you!
1 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Elenia wrote:
steyyan wrote:So how are everyone doing? I went a bit overboard over the last few weeks and managed to finish the (writing only) challenge today. 50,000 words of German...

All right, I'll say it. I have 3,435 words. :oops: That should make people feel better about their word counts.

But congratulations steyyan!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Allison wrote:
Elenia wrote:

All right, I'll say it. I have 3,435 words. :oops: That should make people feel better about their word counts.

But congratulations steyyan!

Well, my written challenge is doing a bit better than that, but my spoken challenge... I have 30 minutes of 3000 :?
0 x

snowflake
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1292

Postby snowflake » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:51 pm

By the numbers I am 19% through the audio challenge. After recovering from surgery I resumed recording but started encountering issues sleeping. The upshot is that I’m cranky, can’t concentrate, and am extremely tired. About a week ago I started self-narration/self-talk, not just reading or chorusing. But the past few days I didn’t do anything due to being so tired.

Status as of today...
: 568 / 3000 2016 Output Challenge - Audio
: 104 / 104 : 18 / 104 : 0 / 104 Glossika Fluency 123
: 81 / 104 : 1 / 20 Glossika Travel : Review
: 10 / 15 Read Chinese, Book 2 (Yale Mirror Series)
: 2 / 23 Tales and Traditions Vol 1
: 1 / 36 David and Helen In China
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:02 pm

I haven't done anything for months so... it's not going well over here. :roll:
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:48 pm

I've signed up for Camp Nano and am enthusiastically* going for it in Swedish.

*Lit: Over-ambitiously.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:42 pm

2016 Mini-Challenge is here!!!!

I'm leaving all the previous months as a recap, and don't forget you can see last years mini-challenges in this thread too.

The January Mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.

The February mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think up 10 Output mini-challenges for yourself!!! Email one to arrive on the first of each month for the rest of the year using FutureMe.org. Write out the challenge in your TL, and hopefully when you get the one in December you'll see how much you've improved!
Audio Challenge: Read / speak your Output mini-challenges, and attach them to an email to the future you! (although I think you'll have to embed a link in the email actually)

The March mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) write a summation of a news story. Doesn't have to be long, but shoot for longer than a tweet!
Audio Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) record a summation of a news story with you speaking.

The April mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Write down your ideas!
Audio Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Record your ideas, and describe the object at the beginning.

The May mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: COMPLAIN! This month write at least one letter of complaint in your target language to a business, political leader, etc. Make the letter at least 1 page long, longer if you can.
Audio Challenge: COMPLAIN! Do a video or audio where you pretend you are standing at the customer service desk of a company and you have a complaint. Explain your complaint and what resolution you'd like.

The June mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: You've been the victim of a crime! Describe the culprit in as much detail as possible to the policeman taking your statement, answer these questions about the person:
  • Sex
  • Race
  • Weight
  • Complexion
  • Hair colour
  • Eyes/colour of eyes
  • Glasses
  • Clothing : Colour of coat/shirt/pants/shoes
  • Accessories: Hat, bracelet, etc.
  • Tattoos
  • Scars/Marks
  • Additional information
  • Vehicle Description
  • Colour
  • Make
  • Model
  • License Plate Number
  • Direction of Travel
  • Any damage to the vehicle
  • Additional Information
Audio Challenge: Record yourself as both the police-officer and the victim.

The July mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Open a TL book or dictionary to a random page select one word, write it down. Repeat until you have 5 random words. Write a story in the TL which uses all 5 of these words.
Audio Challenge: Use the method above to select 15 random words, use these words (one per sentence) in a sentence and record.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:18 pm

I've been doing terribly with this challenge, so I've decided to make a personal modified goal to encourage myself to write more. From August 29 (last Monday) to December 31 is 125 days, and I'm going to write 5000 words in that time, for an average pace of 40 words a day. If I find I can do that and more, I'll up the numbers, but that seems like a good starting point for me. My average up to August 28 was 14 words a day, about a tenth of the standard challenge's 137 words a day. I'm going to try to work at making writing a regular habit and increase my output and then maybe I can go for the full challenge for 2017!
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Allison wrote:I've been doing terribly with this challenge, so I've decided to make a personal modified goal to encourage myself to write more. From August 29 (last Monday) to December 31 is 125 days, and I'm going to write 5000 words in that time, for an average pace of 40 words a day. If I find I can do that and more, I'll up the numbers, but that seems like a good starting point for me. My average up to August 28 was 14 words a day, about a tenth of the standard challenge's 137 words a day. I'm going to try to work at making writing a regular habit and increase my output and then maybe I can go for the full challenge for 2017!

Brilliant Idea!!
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:51 pm

2016 Mini-Challenge is here!!!!

I'm leaving all the previous months as a recap, and don't forget you can see last years mini-challenges in this thread too.

The January Mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Write a short script between two characters which starts in a lift (elevator). The first line of dialogue in the script should be: "You didn't sit on the red chair did you?", and the last line of dialogue should be: "Are you kidding me? We're not 'fine'!"
Audio Challenge: Record this script reading for both characters. Bonus if you can record this twice with a native speaker, each of you doing one character then swapping.

The February mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think up 10 Output mini-challenges for yourself!!! Email one to arrive on the first of each month for the rest of the year using FutureMe.org. Write out the challenge in your TL, and hopefully when you get the one in December you'll see how much you've improved!
Audio Challenge: Read / speak your Output mini-challenges, and attach them to an email to the future you! (although I think you'll have to embed a link in the email actually)

The March mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) write a summation of a news story. Doesn't have to be long, but shoot for longer than a tweet!
Audio Challenge: Each day in March (or as many as you can) record a summation of a news story with you speaking.

The April mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Write down your ideas!
Audio Challenge: Think of as many uses as possible for an everyday object like a chair, coffee mug, or brick. Pick a different object each day. Record your ideas, and describe the object at the beginning.

The May mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: COMPLAIN! This month write at least one letter of complaint in your target language to a business, political leader, etc. Make the letter at least 1 page long, longer if you can.
Audio Challenge: COMPLAIN! Do a video or audio where you pretend you are standing at the customer service desk of a company and you have a complaint. Explain your complaint and what resolution you'd like.

The June mini-challenge was:
Written Challenge: You've been the victim of a crime! Describe the culprit in as much detail as possible to the policeman taking your statement, answer these questions about the person:
  • Sex
  • Race
  • Weight
  • Complexion
  • Hair colour
  • Eyes/colour of eyes
  • Glasses
  • Clothing : Colour of coat/shirt/pants/shoes
  • Accessories: Hat, bracelet, etc.
  • Tattoos
  • Scars/Marks
  • Additional information
  • Vehicle Description
  • Colour
  • Make
  • Model
  • License Plate Number
  • Direction of Travel
  • Any damage to the vehicle
  • Additional Information
Audio Challenge: Record yourself as both the police-officer and the victim.

The July mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Open a TL book or dictionary to a random page select one word, write it down. Repeat until you have 5 random words. Write a story in the TL which uses all 5 of these words.
Audio Challenge: Use the method above to select 15 random words, use these words (one per sentence) in a sentence and record.

The August mini-challenge is:
Didn't have one. Sorry!

The September mini-challenge is:
Written Challenge: Write 5-10 curses in your TL each day. Something like: "May the fleas of a thousand camels infect your armpits" or "May your children be born in interesting times." Try to alternate between humorous, serious, folksy.
Audio Challenge: Write and perform a 15 minute comedy act once a week. Tell a couple of jokes and ham it up in front of the camera or recording device.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language Challenges”