river runs through it (ES, DE, EO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
river
White Belt
Languages: Speaks: EN (native)

Studies: ES (rusty), DE (intermediate), EO (?)

Coming up next: ZH, FR, PT, or KO
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3057&p=40352#p40352

river runs through it (ES, DE, EO)

Postby river » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 am

Well, hello! I've been studying languages and lurking for a long time, and I figured it's time to start a log. I started studying Spanish in 2002, German in 2008, Mandarin in 2009, and Korean last year. My current focus is on the latter three; my Spanish is adequate for my needs. I'm doing the Super Challenge to give my intermediate Mandarin and German a boost. Still very much in the textbook stage for Korean.

My main challenge is getting into a consistent study habit. The reasons for my slow progress (spoiler alert: perfectionism), and my working through them, will be a recurring theme in my log.

I'm part of the LGBT community and learning about LGBT culture and history around the world is one of my main motivations for studying languages. Links, media suggestions, or private messages on the subject are always welcome. As well, corrections to writing done in my target language are appreciated.
Last edited by river on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
: 14 / 100 SC: DE books …… : 108 / 200 SC: DE films

river
White Belt

Re: river runs through it (DE, ZH, KO)

Postby river » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:34 am

RESOURCES

All languages
Wiktionary. Favorite place to check a conjugation or declension. I mostly use it for Korean now, but it used to be one of my most-used websites when I studied Russian.

German
LEO. Favorite dictionary.

Korean
How to Study Korean. Excellent in-depth grammar lessons, tons of vocab, audio for most of the sample sentences. There are Memrise courses for at least the first two units of material.
Korean From Zero. All of the material (text and audio) is available for free online, but I purchased the textbooks because I prefer a tangible copy.
Korean Grammar Sentences by Evita. One of Evita's fantastic Anki decks.
Yu Inna's podcast. Will use this for listening practice when I get more advanced.

Mandarin
LINE Dict. I browse this dictionary's sample sentences when I'm trying to phrase things more naturally.
MDBG. Favorite online dictionary. I use Pleco on my phone.
Last edited by river on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
0 x

river
White Belt

Postby river » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:36 am

SUPER CHALLENGE

German
Films (or "films")
Phase9LetsPlay, Let's Play the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Türkisch für Anfänger, Staffel 1
Last edited by river on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

river
White Belt

Postby river » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:39 pm

Enjoyed this post: How I Keep A Language Notebook. I first saw it in kujichagulia's log and went out and bought a graphing paper notebook the next day.

I never thought of using graphing paper for my language notebooks. It'll be helpful for both of the languages with non-Latin alphabets, though how I'm going to cram some characters into the squares I have no clue...and I use traditional characters, too.

Other ideas from the post I haven't tried yet: the table of contents, putting all the languages currently studied in a single notebook, and shading squares in a mini calendar to represent the focus language on each day of a month.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:17 pm

river wrote:I never thought of using graphing paper for my language notebooks. It'll be helpful for both of the languages with non-Latin alphabets, though how I'm going to cram some characters into the squares I have no clue...and I use traditional characters, too.

I've been meaning to buy something with graph paper for my Korean project since the start of the year... and, because I still haven't bought it, my Korean project is still on hold. After a while, certain things seem less like a necessity and more like an excuse :oops:
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:12 pm

river wrote:Enjoyed this post: How I Keep A Language Notebook. I first saw it in kujichagulia's log and went out and bought a graphing paper notebook the next day.

This is basically bullet journaling. If you are not familiar with it you might enjoy a Google/Pinterest search - there are some great organizational ideas out there :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

river
White Belt

Postby river » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Elenia wrote:After a while, certain things seem less like a necessity and more like an excuse :oops:

I like this sentiment, though I must say the way I normally go about it is to blow a ton of money on resources that I never end up using. Spend money first, ask questions later. :lol:

Ani wrote:This is basically bullet journaling. If you are not familiar with it you might enjoy a Google/Pinterest search - there are some great organizational ideas out there :)

I'm definitely going to take a look at that! Thanks.
Last edited by river on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

river
White Belt

Postby river » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Unearthed this post from my bookmarks: The Highfive Notebook. The technique consists of marking the edges of pages to correspond to tags on the edge of the index's page, so it's easy to flip to the page you want. I use this technique already and it's kept me more organized, so I might incorporate this in some form into my new language notebook.

I watched Türkisch für Anfänger about five years ago and have been wanting to see it again. Some kind soul uploaded all of the show to YouTube, so I'm mainlining episodes in a mad bid to see the whole thing before it gets taken down.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:04 am

river wrote:Unearthed this post from my bookmarks: The Highfive Notebook. The technique consists of marking the edges of pages to correspond to tags on the edge of the index's page, so it's easy to flip to the page you want. I use this technique already and it's kept me more organized, so I might incorporate this in some form into my new language notebook.
I was just about to post about that indexing method! I'm also interested in how people use actual hard copy notebooks for documenting their language study. I have notebooks and love fountain pens and would love to use said notebooks (or one notebook) to do some recording of my progress but don't quite now where to start, outside of bullet journal stuff but it's almost as if that's too general to wrap my head around. Would you be opposed to me posting a thread about it in the general boards?

I watched Türkisch für Anfänger about five years ago and have been wanting to see it again. Some kind soul uploaded all of the show to YouTube, so I'm mainlining episodes in a mad bid to see the whole thing before it gets taken down.

I just started watching this this weekend. Good to know that someone uploaded the whole show, I'll have to grab it while it's still up as well.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

river
White Belt

Postby river » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:26 am

aokoye wrote:I was just about to post about that indexing method!...Would you be opposed to me posting a thread about it in the general boards?

I wouldn't mind at all! Looking forward to your thread.

Currently there are a couple of different uploaders of Türkisch für Anfänger on YouTube and they change the quality of the upload to avoid being taken down (for now). Someone has a zoomed-in version posted, and another has better-quality videos where the episode plays two or three times in a row. Can't complain since I'm watching for free. :)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”