I LOVE THIS FORUM

General discussion about learning languages
lixzia
White Belt
Languages: Swedish and English
Studying Japanese

Re: I LOVE THIS FORUM

Postby lixzia » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Happy to see another fellow Swede. With that said I can only agree. I really do enjoy this forum because of the great people hanging around in here.
0 x
Website where I teach about Japanese vocabulary for myself and others.

Goal: Become fluent!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Yeah, we're at least three. 8-)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:22 pm

reineke wrote: "The Ulam's bald-headed fire tender escapes with the tribe's remaining fire; however, while crossing a marsh, he all but douses the embers, leaving the tribe doomed to die from exposure and starvation. "

It only now dawned on me that I actually have seen the film ("Quest for fire") long ago - something about heavybuilt men men in fur coats and a naked lady running around in the wilderness long ago. The question is whether we are supposed to be the Neanderthalians or the Homo sapiens. To refresh my memory I did a Google check, and there I happened on a comment on the accuracy of the film, and it seems that it was above average. But then I read the following tidbit at the end:

The language spoken by the Ulam was created by Anthony Burgess. The more advanced language of the Ivaka, according to Annaud’s commentary on the DVD, was largely that of the Cree/Inuit native people of northern Canada, which apparently has caused some amusement among those in this group who have seen this film, since the words have little to do with the plot. The gestural and body language was overseen by Desmond Morris, author of The Naked Ape.

And now I can't stop thinking about what the the painted lady really said in the film.
2 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 pm

I also love this forum.

I took Spanish in high school and was completely turned off of the language. It was really disappointing because I had always wanted to learn a foreign language but the way it was taught to me made it really difficult.

A few years later I started to take classes again in college, and after I took the required classes (and wasn't allowed to take anymore) I wanted to keep learning but didn't know how. Eventually I found this website and it has been such an amazing experience. I have so many questions and am hesitant about doing some things if they will only be a waste of my time or not help that much. This website allows me to see what others are doing, and what others have done in the past that has been helpful for them. I am always finding new techniques, receiving great advice, and constantly being motivated by other language learners on this site.

The language challenge is something that I honestly would have NEVER tried had it not been for this site, and I can say that only a few weeks in and the language challenge is pushing me to new levels and getting me to do things I normally wouldn't do or wouldn't do that often.

Thanks everyone!
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:32 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Yeah, we're at least three. 8-)

Unfortunately after the bloody battles with the Wagabu we're left with only a handful of survivors.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:45 pm

I love this forum too, and I loved htlal before it had lots of mods who wanted to ban everyone and before FX introduced the pro accounts. It was wonderful in about 2008, I was so happy to use my langauges and chat with the people.

I've seen that people like leopejo and languagesponge are members here, but they haven't visited recently, unfortunately.

My real life friends don't visit forums. I think that with so much texting and FB, twitter, whatsapp, Instagram etc people don't visit forums like before. I don't use those social media, only texting and for photos the imessage.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:08 pm

vogeltje wrote:I love this forum too, and I loved htlal before it had lots of mods who wanted to ban everyone.

Huh? There was a hard time like that? When was it?
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
vogeltje wrote:I love this forum too, and I loved htlal before it had lots of mods who wanted to ban everyone.

Huh? There was a hard time like that? When was it?

When FX created the pro accounts for the money, he made about 10 people mods, and some of the mods hobby was to ban everyone. I think that it was in 2010 then like this in 2011-12.

The bans were mostly when the account profile was "active" so the others didn't know, but it was impossible to log in and the PMs were blocked.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:26 am

FX was never a member of your fanclub...
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:42 am

Iversen wrote:FX was never a member of your fanclub...

FX accussed me of a veyr nasty thing but I had NOT done it. He couldn't support his accusation at all because he said that he had deleted it, and then that it wasn't in the trash he couldn't explain. He hated me and made up nasty lies to ban me. But they banned many others as well, although FX absolultey hated me. I hate him as well because I don't like arrogant liars.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”