Old Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Old Log

Postby rlnv » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:05 pm

Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Re: Un voyage français

Postby Mohave » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:06 am

rinv -

It's great to see you posting again!! Reviewing your list of books, etc, you've made some great strides! I LOVE the Le Petit Nicolas series - still one of my favorite French reads. The audiobook is wicked fast, but very well done, and I think a lot of fun! There are also two Le Petit Nicolas movies which are very accessible. I'm on season 3 of Buffy, and I do feel that helped me make a jump in listening skills - I hope you see the same results.

Your hard works seems to have really paid off! I hope you enjoy incorporating more and more native materials!
0 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:46 am

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Salut rlnv,

Good luck with your audio 6WC plan. Great to see you round the traps again :) Your gradual increase in difficulty for reading looks wisely implemented. Nice feedback on Harry Potter too. I have all the books and the 1st 4 audio books as well so it's interesting to read your insights on them, thanks. Bonne continuation !

PM
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 am

Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:25 am

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:56 am

rlnv wrote:Salut PM.

Thanks for visiting my log! Hey that's a lot of reading to do if you have all the HP books! Have started any of them yet?

For me, I found that the first HP book was a good transition from the mostly graded books I had been reading before it. After having finished the Mondes en VF books (really excellent by the way!), I started reading Vingt mille lieues sous les mers, and it was too much of a jump to be comfortable. Harry Potter was just the ticket. Fun read, roughly i+1 from my previous books. BTW, I liked Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets better than the first one.

My current book, Étreinte feels like i+2 from the HP books. But that's okay. After I finish it, I'm going to read something easier - maybe another Le Petit Nicholas or Harry Potter. I kind of feel myself falling into the rhythm of going back and reading something easier after challenging read. I think plenty of easier extensive reading is helpful along with the more challenging stuff. Especially during this time that I'm doing so much reading-listening.

Now what I really want to get to is the Bob Morane books by Henri Vernes that emk pointed out in his log! I have one in the reading queue right now. :D

Edit: BTW, the Monde en VF books have great professional quality audio, read at a good pace - not slow, not fast. The stories are also very engaging. I particularly liked the ones by Vincent Remède. Detective stories with the main character of Oscar Tenon, lieutenant de police. Good stories, not just for graded readers, but interesting with good twists. If you buy the book you can download the MP3 audio.

Hey rlnv,

I've not read any of the HP books. I have so many books to read its insane. To a 'big reader' this task wouldn't be huge at all, but to someone not known for reading an extensive number of books and has so many other learning activities to do, it will be some time before I get to reading many of them. The bit of extensive reading I'm doing I enjoy, but making my way through courses, learning magazines (intensive reading) and now medical/nursing learning in French are all taking priority.

Thanks again for sharing rlnv :). Your 6WC has started well and your plans look good. Keep up the good work!

PM
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:44 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hey rlnv,

I've not read any of the HP books. I have so many books to read its insane. To a 'big reader' this task wouldn't be huge at all, but to someone not known for reading an extensive number of books and has so many other learning activities to do, it will be some time before I get to reading many of them. The bit of extensive reading I'm doing I enjoy, but making my way through courses, learning magazines (intensive reading) and now medical/nursing learning in French are all taking priority.

Thanks again for sharing rlnv :). Your 6WC has started well and your plans look good. Keep up the good work!

PM

So much to do, so little time! One can always sleep less, I guess. And looking at the hours some people put in on the challenge, I'm thinking they do just that. I know you've put crazy time in on previous 6WC's! I'm trying to keep up. lol. Heck, if I finish in the top 10 I think I'm running a good pace. Right now, my average is right at 3 hours per day. I'd be happy to keep that up.
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:53 am

-
Last edited by rlnv on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

kimchizzle
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Studying Spanish, Dutch, Russian
On the radar, Estonian, Ukrainian, Cantonese, Korean, Swedish
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=779

Postby kimchizzle » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:27 am

Good luck on your goals. I will be following your progress.

I noticed you had L'étranger on your list of books to read. That is a great book for anyone studying French around your level, since it is in passé composé and the vocabulary is interesting. I found the story interesting as well.

I recommend you to find the book, Soie, by Alessandro Baricco, if you can. It has a great story and the vocabulary and grammar is not too difficult. It is about the same length as L'étranger, so not too long as well.

I liked how you are using Buffy to learn. I had never thought of doing it that way. I may try your method sometime, but with another show, since I'm not a fan of Buffy.
0 x
Spanish Duolingo: 42 / 100 Dutch Duolingo: 4 / 100
Feel free to help correct any of my languages, except my native tongue. :shock:

Return to “Language logs”