Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

General discussion about learning languages
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:32 pm

It is regarding both.

Many games have both audio and subtitles in the target langauge, some only one. Some have audio in fewer langauges than the text. Some games are text only. Of course, those with both are the best, in my opinion :-)
1 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:37 pm

Cavesa wrote:It is regarding both.

Many games have both audio and subtitles in the target langauge, some only one. Some have audio in fewer langauges than the text. Some games are text only. Of course, those with both are the best, in my opinion :-)

Ideally we need a list differentiating as for example listening to audio in native language and reading subtitles in l2 in my view won't achieve anything
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 pm

mercutio wrote:Ideally we need a list differentiating as for example listening to audio in native language and reading subtitles in l2 in my view won't achieve anything

It depends on your level. For my horrible German, it is perfect. I had been improving quite well with Broken Sword (both audio and subtitles in German) and am getting some more games like it. I need to find more time for games again. Sure, one day , I'll go to the game settings and switch the subtitles off.
1 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm

Cavesa wrote:
mercutio wrote:Ideally we need a list differentiating as for example listening to audio in native language and reading subtitles in l2 in my view won't achieve anything

It depends on your level. For my horrible German, it is perfect. I had been improving quite well with Broken Sword (both audio and subtitles in German) and am getting some more games like it. I need to find more time for games again. Sure, one day , I'll go to the game settings and switch the subtitles off.

If the audio is In your native language you brain will just be hearing that it won't be taking in the foreign subtitles, you will be abosrbed In the game and Native language

If anything you want the language 2 audio and ideally with language 2 subtitles too
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:20 pm

mercutio wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

If the audio is In your native language you brain will just be hearing that it won't be taking in the foreign subtitles, you will be abosrbed In the game and Native language
If anything you want the language 2 audio and ideally with language 2 subtitles too

I've already said that. :-D
0 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:40 am

Cavesa wrote:
mercutio wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

I've already said that. :-D

It was not clear when you said "I have been doing that and it's perfect" as my post has described that j didn't think using native language and then l2 subs would benefit

But it was just a confusion of interpretation
Mystery solved
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Delodephius
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaking: Slovenčina (N), Српски (F), English (C2);
Understand: Čeština (B2), Македонски (B2), Slovenščina (B1);
Learning: Русский (B1), Old Slavonic;
Dabbling: German, Polish, Latin, Cl. Greek, Hebrew

Postby Delodephius » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 am

I don't know if anyone mentioned it here, but StarCraft II is available in English, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Italian, Korean, Polish, Russian, European Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Chinese Mandarin, and Chinese Taiwanese (the last one surprised me). It is a very high quality game. I finished the three campaigns at least three times, in English and Russian. Not only is ALL of the audio translated, but also all of the in-game texts, from letters, to news headlines, to scribbles and graffiti on the walls. They really put a great deal of work into it. You don't get the impression it's a translation from English.

Check out the intro to Legacy of the Void in all of the above languages:
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:02 am

I'm not clear on something -- are you only looking for dialogue rich mobile games, or are PC games included in this list?
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:17 am

I learned some good French expressions this way, actually. It all depends on how well you pay attention.
2 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Cainntear wrote:I'm not clear on something -- are you only looking for dialogue rich mobile games, or are PC games included in this list?

Most, if not all, games on the list are PC or console games, although some of them may have been ported to mobile phones.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”