I LOVE THIS FORUM

General discussion about learning languages
mercutio
Orange Belt

Re: I LOVE THIS FORUM

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:51 am

Iversen wrote:There are still people who subscribe to HTLAL, and since a major trolling crisis some years ago the remaining moderators have to run through the applications to activate them. Basically it is like letting people access a dusty old museum rather than an active cultural center, but without an account there you can't even check the list of active topics, let alone do searches within the system so I still regularly do those activitations even though it feels fairly absurd, given the current activity level.

There is already more activity here than at HTLAL, but our level is 'only' comparable to that of HTLAL in its first years. It remains to be seen whether this forum (or any language learning site) ever will reach the frantic visitor numbers of HTLAL at its maximum around 2011-2012. Maybe times have just changed.

I think it would be good if there was a migration to this forum

Maybe a more catchy url would get more people to find this forum and join ?
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:28 pm

mercutio wrote:I think it would be good if there was a migration to this forum.

I agree, but only the HTLAL administrator can decide if/when it can happen.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm

mercutio wrote:Maybe a more catchy url would get more people to find this forum and join ?
I've already replied to that. The URL is settled. migrating from htlal.org already caused a bit of downtime and probably some broken links*, we have no interest in going through the process again. afaiu the google ranking would have to be earned from scratch too.
*they work now but a further migration would require emk and rdearman (or anyone who's willing to help) to pay for three (!) domains.

See this thread too, this is where we chose the name.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:04 pm

Serpent wrote:
mercutio wrote:Maybe a more catchy url would get more people to find this forum and join ?
I've already replied to that. The URL is settled. migrating from htlal.org already caused a bit of downtime and probably some broken links*, we have no interest in going through the process again. afaiu the google ranking would have to be earned from scratch too.
*they work now but a further migration would require emk and rdearman (or anyone who's willing to help) to pay for three (!) domains.

I don't mean migrate the data from htlal

I mean migrate the people

Try to get everyone in one place to this one grows and people can keep sharing more
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't believe that we can make a wholesale migration of the data from HTLAL, both for technical reasons and because I doubt that FX will accept it. The problems I see with simply leaving the history behind at HTLAL are 1) that FX may close the site when he discovers how little activity there actually is (and when the existing Pro accounts run out), 2) that effective search within the system is impossible without a Pro account.

My point is that even HTLAL had a period in the beginning where it only had few users and limited activity. But there is no garantee that we can get the fast growth in visitor numbers and 'productivity' here that HTLAL experienced in the following years. If all the users who wrote in HTLAL at its peak around 2011-12 really wanted to find a new home they would probably already be here - but they aren't. Maybe they have had they fill and now they do other things, and then they don't want to get involved with a new project. Or they don't find us because Wikipedia answers their factual questions and this forum only pops up several pages later in Google searches, I don't know, but I think we should get realistic and stop hoping for a mass migration of former HTLALiens. If it were going to happen then it already would have happened.

We have got a good thing going here, and let's just accept that it will have to develop on its own terms.
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:44 pm

mercutio wrote:
Serpent wrote:
I've already replied to that. The URL is settled. migrating from htlal.org already caused a bit of downtime and probably some broken links

Try to get everyone in one place to this one grows and people can keep sharing more
I was speaking of migrating from language-learners.org to whatever domain you propose. The original url of this forum was how-to-learn-any-language.org but it was changed last year.

To keep the dialogue open, we have to be careful with how we present this issue on the old forum. I created these wikia pages with the goal of starting a thread called something like "read this before registering" :?
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:08 pm

A big thank you to Admins and members for keeping this forum operating at such a high level.

I find it indispensable in my language learning efforts.
4 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:31 pm

mercutio wrote:
Serpent wrote:

We have migrated. We're like that tribe in "Quest for Fire", huddled together in a cold swamp and eagerly awaiting the bald-headed fire tender.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

reineke wrote: We're like that tribe in "Quest for Fire", huddled together in a cold swamp and eagerly awaiting the bald-headed fire tender.

hummmmm...... :?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Awww.... It's what they call him! and there are other candidates for this metaphor. I also see several roles for the moderators: "The Ulam's bald-headed fire tender escapes with the tribe's remaining fire; however, while crossing a marsh, he all but douses the embers, leaving the tribe doomed to die from exposure and starvation. The Ulam elder decides to send three men Naoh (Everett McGill), Amoukar (Ron Perlman) and Gaw (Nameer El-Kadi), on a quest to find fire."
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”