zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 am

Via Diva wrote:Wow, what an interesting idea about using songs! Of course, there's lyricstraining, but it doesn't have any of my favorite songs because they're not popular. Personally I'm just too lazy to study like this, but still it sounds really good.

That's an interesting site - had not seen it!

The German songs are sometimes blocked due to copyright issues (YouTube wont allow certain song to be played in Germany) but it seems interesting. A first run at the game seems to work fine for listening comprehension but, for me, there tool is not a good method for context and learning understanding. But still, it is fun and I think I'll use it once in a while. And some of the German pop on there might be a good source for my own files. Thanks!

There is another video learning tool called fluentu - I believe this is the one that a friend uses to scroll through videos - basically the same as sub2srs cards without the hassle of building the deck. I'll have to ask my friend is that is what she uses. Not sure if it is a paying site.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
vogeltje wrote:It seems I'm too stupid to understand how you can use this cards :x :? , but it seems fun :)

Can you explain about your avatar's photo?

Imagine taking the dialogue of a movie and having it all on cards: target language on one side, translation on the other. Except every time you look at the card you get to hear the short dialogue and also see it printed there. So you get to work on listening and reading comprehension with something from a story you like. I find it very engaging and, like you say, fun.

My posts have been a lot about how to generate that because, frankly, it is a little bit complicated.

Thanks for explaining. I don't read the complicated or long posts, sorry. Now I exactly understand what you mean, and it seems truly great!!

zenmonkey wrote:As to the photo, that is me - flying through the air late last year at a Tough Mudder in the northwest UK. A Tough Mudder is a type of mud/obstacle race. I've done 3 so far. I enjoy training for them and participating with a bunch of friends from all over.

HAHA :lol: I like the gym and the trampoline, but not the mud. But I can imagine that it would be funny with some freinds.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Hebrew Log Entry: Beginning Hebrew and Podcast/Material Quality

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:50 pm

I spent most of the day in the car and part of that was all about listening to podcasts and getting some language lessons in while I drove to Lille.
Now, as a beginner in Hebrew I got to listen to a few podcasts. I found this very frustrating as a lot of the material is NOT listening only.

A few comments.

ASSIMIL is intended as study material - don't use it if you can't sit and read the book at the same time.

https://www.hebrewpodcasts.com lesson 1 is a terrible starting point. Annoying speaker (is she faking being 10 years old?) This material has no spaced learning, doesn't help to get in hooks. It's a valid lesson but shouldn't be a start.

Hebrew Pod 101 - Found what I wanted, recommended!
The first 4-5 podcasts work fine as oral only material (http://www.hebrewpod101.com/hebrewpod10 ... urriculum/) although printable or on line supplement are available.

Also adding the first grammar (http://www.hebrewpod101.com/hebrewpod10 ... urriculum/) here made sense.

Adding from these early lessons on pod101 and THEN listening to lesson 1 of hebrewpodcasts might work.

Tomorrow, I'll consolidate at the desk with the readable material.
My choice material - ASSIMIL, HebrewPod101, Living Language all comes with full diacritic marks (or the sometime both with and without).

Other language stuff - German was listening to In One Person - book on tape, ANKI and duolingo.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

German Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:49 am

German: Jemand erwähnte Benny in einem anderen Thread. Ich ging zu seiner Website zu schauen und sah ein paar Dinge, die helfen könnten.

Nun: Ich habe meinem Mac auf Deutsch eingestellt. Und werden versuchen, auf Deutsch zu schreiben.
Ich habe auch EHTip, eine Mouse-over für Wort Übersetzung Tipps installiert.

English: Someone mentioned Benny in another thread. I went to look at his website and saw a few things that could help.

Now: I've set up my Mac to German. And will try to write in German.
I've also installed EHTip, a mouse-over for word translation tips.

http://www.fluentin3months.com/how-to-speak-german/

tunliste - fertiggestellt: duolingo, schrieben, ANKI geöffnet: lesen
Last edited by zenmonkey on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Hebrew Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:21 am

(todo list) להכין רשימה - (completed) הושלם: hebrewpod101 review, anki - (open) פתוח: ASSIMIL

Podcasts from hebrewpod101 that I reviewed covered:
AB - Absolute Beginner, AA - All About
AB1 - Saying Hello in Hebrew
AA1 & 2 - Top 5 Reasons... & Cracking the Hebrew Writing Systemm
AA3 - Painless Hebrew Grammar (covers the basics - definite article, plural, pronouns, adjectives, verb conjugation, gender) only duals are poorly explained.
Another great source for grammar is the Hebrew for Christians Grammar pages
Last edited by zenmonkey on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

German Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:07 am

Gah. Had to set the Mac back to English - a few new pieces of software that I can't navigate guessing the menus.
I'm not happy with the MCDs I created with Sie ist Weg - probably need to rebuild that deck from scratch.
I think I need to review what a good MCD is first. Off to wiki.

tunliste - fertiggestellt: ANKI, duolingo geöffnet: schrieben, lesen, hören
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Hebrew Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:27 pm

Started up a "grammar cheat sheet" - two pager I'll use as a series of short cuts to grammar basics.

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 14.19.11.png

(todo list) להכין רשימה - (completed) הושלם: hebrewpod101 review, anki - (open) פתוח: Living Language, ASSIMIL

Podcasts from hebrewpod101 that I studied today:
AB3 - Introducing Yourself in Hebrew
Reviewed yesterday's lessons.

Did I tell you I really like hebrewpod101?
Another great source is Living Language Hebrew - Well, the book. The Audio isn't quite as good.

Also reviewed today the Hebrew Alphabets videos - nikkud and handwritten script remain weak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Hebrew & German Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:32 pm

Today, I got both of the girls playing on duolingo - L is doing Spanish and A is doing Italian. So while I packed boxes I heard the ping ping as they worked on their lessons next to me. Pretty nice. Moving the girls is sapping me of energy, so not that concentrated on the language stuff, but still completing lessons.

My father arrives tomorrow from the US which means I'll have a rich language environment - And I think I found the perfect gift for my birthday (he's always asking me in advance what I want) - I think I'll ask for the Ladakhi grammar book.

HE: (todo list) להכין רשימה - (completed) הושלם: hebrewpod101 review - (open) פתוח: anki, Living Language, ASSIMIL

Anki was a mess tonight. Can't keep my head straight after a long day putting them away until tomorrow.
Reviewed L2 and started a new lesson.

Reviewed alphabet ... and a few nikkud.

DE: tunliste - fertiggestellt: duolingo, ANKI geöffnet: lesen, schrieben
Last edited by zenmonkey on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

more SUB2SRS

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:19 am

Couldn't sleep last night so I spent an hour setting up cards for a few new songs Naidoo - Dieser Weg

and Kids by Marteria. I have now a list of other songs I want to convert to cards and I'll get to this during the week.
Couple note on the song choice and difficulty of learning text.

I've found that:
  • slower songs tend to be easier to subtitle, with clear pauses, but
  • fast, 'rappy' songs have more punch and I enjoy them greatly
  • slang rich songs are a poor start for me, the lyric style of Fantastichien Vier, for example, can make them very difficult to use
  • importing the sub2srs into anki on the Mac can result in the image not importing but a text reference being placed in the field; instead of seeing the image, I get the the name of the file as text - I think this is a Mac issue and will try the next imports on a PC.
  • there is no need to o the subs for entire songs when these have repetitive text or are mostly chorus - I'll tackle only the lines once and not add repeat lyrics, there is no additional value of having repeat cards. Repeat cards are not automatically deleted as the ordering counter makes them unique. One basically need to not create them.

If interested, the Wikia has several entries for sub2srs
http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/ ... y:Subs2srs
1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 am

If you ever feel that the lyrics of the songs you're listening to are too simple, check Angizia and Dornenreich. Yeah, these are Austrian bands, but I honestly don't think it makes a lot of difference. Dornenreich has lyrics to some of their albums translated in English and French, so that also helps.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”