The Super Challenge - discussion thread 2016/2017

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: The Super Challenge - discussion thread

Postby sfuqua » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Outlander is translated into Spanish; you may be able to make it part of your challenge.

So far in my L2 reading, I do better when I read things in Spanish that I haven't gotten around to in English.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:26 pm

geoffw wrote:Note: I also signed up for a North Germanic Challenge, for logging Norwegian and Danish (and who knows, maybe Icelandic or Old Icelandic). Unless people threaten to put me in cherem over it, I'm planning to log all of my Swedish against BOTH challenges.

Christina is away at the moment, but I'm pretty sure she would agree with Serpent. She has already stated that if you LR (listen in one target language and read in another) you have to choose which one to count (or count them both half). Counting the same task for two challenges is essentially the same thing.

geoffw wrote:I'm fine with being declared ineligible for the prize money for the winner of the North Germanic Family Super Challenge...

This statement got my goat. You know as well as anybody that there is no prize money, but the lack of prize money should not change the fact that you are taking part in a group event with rules which apply to everyone. It is as if you are saying that since there's no money involved you can do what you like. I know I've often behaved too much like a watchdog, but it's because I think that if we all start making our own rules then what's the point in doing it together? One of the reasons there are rules is to push you harder. Want to get more time logged for Swedish? Read or watch more Swedish.

Woof!
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Kerrie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (passive)
Studying Italian, French, Portuguese, German
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2683

Postby Kerrie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:45 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:No, I feel you, I read the first Outlander book last week and I've been trying to work out what I want to do with the other six... I know I'm going to give in and read them (of course) but the question is simply when.

Other seven. There are eight now. :lol: You'll be able to find them in Spanish and German, if you want to use them for the SC. If you need help finding them, PM me. I actually read the first five of them in Spanish for the last SC. Of course, I had already read the first four a half dozen times before that, but . . . who's counting. :lol: :lol:
1 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:59 pm

jeffers wrote:Christina is away at the moment, but I'm pretty sure she would agree with Serpent. She has already stated that if you LR (listen in one target language and read in another) you have to choose which one to count (or count them both half). Counting the same task for two challenges is essentially the same thing.

geoffw wrote:I'm fine with being declared ineligible for the prize money for the winner of the North Germanic Family Super Challenge...

This statement got my goat. You know as well as anybody that there is no prize money, but the lack of prize money should not change the fact that you are taking part in a group event with rules which apply to everyone. It is as if you are saying that since there's no money involved you can do what you like. I know I've often behaved too much like a watchdog, but it's because I think that if we all start making our own rules then what's the point in doing it together? One of the reasons there are rules is to push you harder. Want to get more time logged for Swedish? Read or watch more Swedish.

Woof!

Ok, fine, forget it. If THIS is how people are going to act when we try to figure out how best to implement a new idea (i.e., "families," "approved" by the person officially in charge, btw, but yet to be implemented in practice), then I have better ways to spend my life. Rdearman had basically apologized for the fact that the bot didn't automatically "roll-up" language postings into the family, as I understood it. I was proposing to manually do what it sounded like he considered trying to do automatically--and announcing as much to invite constructive comments (like Serpent's).

And I get someone jumping down my throat and accusing me of being a lazy cheater or something. What the hell?

@langchallenge #gmq #giveup
1 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:21 pm

I've signed up for:

Language: Family Romance (Spanish, French…and more)
Challenge:Full
Level: advanced

Language: German
Challenge: Half
Level: intermediate

Language: Chinese
Challenge: full
Level: false beginner

Language: Family Greek (Ancient and Modern Greek)
Level: beginner

Language: Basque
Level: beginner
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:33 pm

Kerrie wrote:
LunaMoonsilver wrote:No, I feel you, I read the first Outlander book last week and I've been trying to work out what I want to do with the other six... I know I'm going to give in and read them (of course) but the question is simply when.

Other seven. There are eight now. :lol: You'll be able to find them in Spanish and German, if you want to use them for the SC. If you need help finding them, PM me. I actually read the first five of them in Spanish for the last SC. Of course, I had already read the first four a half dozen times before that, but . . . who's counting. :lol: :lol:

Are those the books about time traveling in Scotland? I remember reading them way back in the early nineties, it I guess there are a lot more now. Maybe I should try a few in Spanish or German for the SC too.
0 x

Kerrie
White Belt

Postby Kerrie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:43 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:

Are those the books about time traveling in Scotland? I remember reading them way back in the early nineties, it I guess there are a lot more now. Maybe I should try a few in Spanish or German for the SC too.

Yes, same ones. It's also a TV show now - they're on the second season/book. The first book was published in the early 90s. :D
Last edited by Kerrie on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:44 pm

My wife adores Outlander. Maybe I should do them in Spanish too :)
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:45 pm

jeffers wrote:
geoffw wrote:Note: I also signed up for a North Germanic Challenge, for logging Norwegian and Danish (and who knows, maybe Icelandic or Old Icelandic). Unless people threaten to put me in cherem over it, I'm planning to log all of my Swedish against BOTH challenges.

Christina is away at the moment, but I'm pretty sure she would agree with Serpent. She has already stated that if you LR (listen in one target language and read in another) you have to choose which one to count (or count them both half). Counting the same task for two challenges is essentially the same thing.

I haven't seen Cristina's words on the subject, but that's not the way I interpreted rdearman's response to my question about L-R:
If I read in Norwegian, and listen in Norwegian, then fine, I can see that should only count as one thing, i.e. either a book, or audio, but not both. However, if I read in Norwegian and listen in German (neither of which is my native language, and both of which are registered for the SC for me), then I'd think there would be a good case for counting both. As it happens, that would be a rather academic question in this case, since I have no intention of doing it (I want to get in as much Norwegian listening as I can). But it might be something to run by Cristina when she is next around and has time to answer. (Until then, it can certainly wait, as far as I am concerned).

jeffers wrote:This statement got my goat. You know as well as anybody that there is no prize money, but the lack of prize money should not change the fact that you are taking part in a group event with rules which apply to everyone. It is as if you are saying that since there's no money involved you can do what you like. I know I've often behaved too much like a watchdog, but it's because I think that if we all start making our own rules then what's the point in doing it together? One of the reasons there are rules is to push you harder. Want to get more time logged for Swedish? Read or watch more Swedish.

Woof!

Humour bypass? Geoffw was clearly joking wasn't he?
0 x

Kerrie
White Belt

Postby Kerrie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Montmorency wrote:I haven't seen Cristina's words on the subject, but that's not the way I interpreted rdearman's response to my question about L-R:
If I read in Norwegian, and listen in Norwegian, then fine, I can see that should only count as one thing, i.e. either a book, or audio, but not both. However, if I read in Norwegian and listen in German (neither of which is my native language, and both of which are registered for the SC for me), then I'd think there would be a good case for counting both. As it happens, that would be a rather academic question in this case, since I have no intention of doing it (I want to get in as much Norwegian listening as I can). But it might be something to run by Cristina when she is next around and has time to answer. (Until then, it can certainly wait, as far as I am concerned).

This was discussed to death in the past. You can only count it for one or the other, not both. It's in one of the SC threads at the old site.
3 x

Return to “Language Challenges”