World challenge: discussion

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

World challenge: discussion

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:06 pm

I've been thinking of this for some time but the recent thread inspired me.
Basically I've been thinking of doing a semi-personal challenge (like the reading challenges thread), ie anyone is welcome to join, but I'm also fine with doing this alone. The goal would be, broadly, to cover the world in various ways. I'm toying with the idea of reading a book from each country in the world, but in many cases it may be better to read a book about a whole region and understand what historical ties certain countries had and what it is like now. Others would be welcome to set their own goals. Although for me it's not only about setting goals but tracking what kind of experiences I have with various countries. This would also include food/drinks, TV, art, friends who live(d) there long-term. This doesn't mean that I'm setting a challenge to find friends from X countries or that I'll tick a country off my list and will no longer be interested in it, but rather to keep track and reflect, to notice which cultures I've had exposure to without seeking it, and which are overlooked.
Any further suggestions/ideas? Anyone interested in participating?

edit: started it :D Sort of.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: "World challenge"?

Postby Elenia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 pm

I'm interested! Food and reading are two of my favourite things, so I'd like to do a little more exploring. Have you seen the Book Riot 'Read Harder' challenge? Maybe this challenge could take that sort of form, with goals that allow for wriggle room and freedom of choice. So, for example, a challenge to find out what happened in a region on your list during a certain time period, or a challenge to try the food of a country/region on your list that you've never had before? (The last would be especially good for me. Maybe I can just eat my way across the world :lol: )

How would it be tracked? Here, or elsewhere? It might make one thread messy, so maybe people could post on their logs/personal blogs or vlogs and then link back to master post in the sign up thread? Bonus points for writing in an L2 double bonus points if it is [one of] the language[s] for the region you are writing about. Of course, bonus points would give nothing but a feeling of self satisfaction, but that is also important!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Sound like fun!

It reminds me of this:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201307 ... n-365-days
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Yeah, I love the idea but if I don't know whether I'll finish even 20 books this year :lol:
@Elenia, my idea was to start a thread where we only post our lists. A separate thread for listing new items might also be a good thing, and then this thread i've started can be the discussion thread.

for my own list, I'll probably assign alphabet letters to each experience (and maybe add new ones later) and then post a list of countries and mark them accordingly. Not very exciting to read, I'm afraid :lol:
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:57 pm

Alphabetisation! Oh, I love alphabetisation! This challenge is sounding more and more exciting.
1 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:37 pm

In the world of food blogs there has been something like this done where bloggers cooked different dishes from countries alphabetically through out some period of time. I like the idea of reading an author from every country but it's not going to happen while I'm doing the Super Challenge.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Travel and Culture”