This account can be deleted.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Rob Tickner
White Belt

Postby Rob Tickner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 am

Last edited by Rob Tickner on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:46 am, edited 46 times in total.
2 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Re: German - B2 to C1

Postby Mohave » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:19 am

Rob Tixkner - While I am learning French, I look forward to following your log to see the steps of how you move from B2 - C1. I am in the same boat as you, I don't use French in my everyday life (ie work, speaking with family, etc). Learning French for me is a personal goal, intellectual pursuit, and fun, and I don't have plans to move permanently to a French speaking country. I have often wondered if I can really attain higher than a B2 given my circumstances, so I plan to follow your log. Thanks for documenting your progress. Best of luck!
0 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:49 am

It seems there's more of us in this circumstance than you thought! I'm the same way with my Irish, though I'd love to move to the Gaeltacht/Galway and be immersed in the language. Or even just move to Ireland where I can find people to use it with daily.

And, I too, am trying to move from B2 to C1, so it'll be real interesting to see your methods and how they compare to what I'm trying to do.
0 x

Rob Tickner
White Belt

Postby Rob Tickner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:29 am

This account can be deleted
Last edited by Rob Tickner on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Rob Tickner
White Belt

Postby Rob Tickner » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 am

galaxyrocker wrote:It seems there's more of us in this circumstance than you thought! I'm the same way with my Irish, though I'd love to move to the Gaeltacht/Galway and be immersed in the language. Or even just move to Ireland where I can find people to use it with daily.

And, I too, am trying to move from B2 to C1, so it'll be real interesting to see your methods and how they compare to what I'm trying to do.

Living in Ireland would be amazing. I'll be following your blog closely, I like the Best Novels in Irish idea. Incorporating more extensive reading into my approach would be a boon. Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your language learning.
0 x

motylyok
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Russian (advanced) German (rusty advanced) Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=895

Re: RT - German - B2 to C1

Postby motylyok » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Hey! I am also learning German at around your level. I would say I am a comfortable B2 who can sometimes masquerade as a C1 because unlike yourself I have recently spent a lot of time in Germany and thus picked up a lot of colloquialisms and had plenty of speaking practice. I am interested in seeing how you structure your study and what methods you use to improve your German so I will keep on reading.

Viel Glück!
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: RT - German - B2 to C1

Postby aokoye » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:17 pm

I really appreciate your logs both here and at the .com site. I have very similar goals but a slightly different time zone. My goal is to sit the C1 test this summer skipping over the B2 test, going from the end of B1-C1 in a year (according to Deutsche Welle's test I'm at B1 and given what I've been able to read and listen to as of late, I'd say that's accurate). The only reason I'm skipping over the B2 test is because I'm hopefully going to be doing an intensive 5 week immersion program that my uni organizes in Portland next summer (where I'll be sitting the test) - the German courses that I'm taking this school year should take me from B1 to B2 (with, of course, me studying as well).

For me the things I need to focus on the most are reading and grammar. Things like Harry Potter really don't appeal to me as I prefer non fiction (my least favorite genre is science fiction) and didn't like Harry Potter in English to begin with. That said I've been trying to spend more time reading newspaper articles and such. I also have been doing more explicit work on vocab which has helped immensely. Grammar wise I'm going through one of my grammar books (German in Review) in preparation for the advanced German grammar course I'm taking in the Fall. That course is using Klett's Grammatik mit Sinn und Verstand so I want to make sure that I have a really good grasp of all of the grammar covered in A1-B1 books.

If you don't mind I am going to adapt your worklog for my own habits (I don't, for instance, listen to much music in German that isn't classical music nor do I watch many films in German or English). Thanks!
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Language logs”