The Road To TORFL 3 (Kyle's Russian Log)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
CittaKyle
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2608

The Road To TORFL 3 (Kyle's Russian Log)

Postby CittaKyle » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Long Term Goals
By December 25th, 2018:
    Pass the TORFL 3 exam
    Play and fully enjoy the Russian version of Witcher 3 (video game)
    Teach my son (currently 7 months old) enough Russian that he and I can have some fun with it

Experience
* United States native, living in United States. No contact w/ Russian speakers except via Skype, however I used to work with several and may work with more in the future. We outsource a lot of work to a Russian firm.
* Some past experience with Spanish and Latin (but not fluent).
* 2 months of Russian study a few years ago. Retained very little except ability to read Cyrillic, ability to type Cyrillic, and < 100 word vocab.
* Started Russian again about 5 months ago. I've averaged about ~1hr a day. Some periods more than 1hr per day, some periods very little, if any, practice. I've been adjusting my sleep/wake times to give me more chances to meet that 1hr per day quota (very early morning study before other priorities start competing)

Self-Assessment of Current Abilities
Somewhere short of TORFL 0 / A1, but not by tooooo much.
* Good handle on Cyrillic and pronunciation rules
* Can have an hour long lesson with ~70%+ of it in Russian (with a patient teacher who provides a lot of assistance)
* Good pronunciation relative to my level of experience, in my opinion.
* Vocabulary somewhere around 500-1000 words, maybe more. But my vocabulary has BIG gaps and I frequently find I lack the words I need to communicate simple messages. For example, I can tell you the Russian word for "devil" or "butt," yet I don't know the Russian word for "brown." :lol:
* My greatest weakness is the grammar, particularly cases. Although accusative and genitive aren't so terrible anymore (Dative and Instrumental need a lot of help). I'm familiar with the concepts from my time learning Latin, but I never had to speak and listen to Latin. And I had college courses that forced me to sit down and memorize the grammar for the exams. For Russian, it's all self-directed.

Planned Methods and Tools
* Two one-hour Skype lessons with a Russian teacher per week
* Hodge podge of Textbook study, Duolingo, Glossika, Lingq, Memrise, manual flashcards.
* Between work, my infant son, and upcoming grad school, I have to seize every 5 min opportunity I can. Memrise, Duolingo, and paper flashcards are good for those "in between" opportunities like waiting in line, feeding a bottle, walking somewhere, etc.
* Glossika and Lingq for the car.
* Textbook, "First Readers", and other tools for when I find myself with good chunks of uninterrupted time.

Soon I hope to start doing some writing output on iTalki on the weekends and eventually graduate to language exchanges.

I want to reach the point where I can play video games in Russian. Since my son was born, I can't justify playing video games anymore, even on the weekends, but if I'm reinforcing my Russian while I do so... suddenly they are serving a purpose :lol: ;)

Misc
My iTalki profile: https://www.italki.com/cittakyle
My teacher's profile (I highly recommend her): https://www.italki.com/teacher/1463869

I plan to post here daily with what I practiced for the day. It will help keep me accountable and also give my teacher some insight on what I'm working on.
Last edited by CittaKyle on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
: 23 / 79 Duolingo Russian Tree
: 29 / 100 Glossika Russian Fluency 1
: 69 / 216 Oxford Take Off In Russian Textbook
: 400 / 5000 Memrise Top 5000 Russian Vocab

CittaKyle
Yellow Belt

Re: The Road To TORFL 3 (Kyle's Russian Log)

Postby CittaKyle » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 am

4/23/2016

* Two Duolingo lessons. Haven't used Duolingo in a while so bringing old lessons back to 'gold' status
* Reviewed 50 old words in Memrise - low success rate. Haven't used Memrise in a while, so couldn't remember half. Decreased to 10 words per review session until I'm caught back up.
* Encountered 5 new words in Memrise (favorite new word: словно)
* Listened to Glossika Day 14 (up to sentence 140). Reviewed some old sentences.
* Section 4.1 in Oxford Textbook (Genitive Plural)
* Lingq "Where Is She" Part 2 - listened to it at least 5 times, following along while I listened
* Typed out a whole bunch of declensions of various "Top 55" verbs per my Verb book. Planning to load them into Memrise.
* Set up reminders in Wunderlist to meet certainly daily goals (2 Duolingo, 2 Memrise, 1 Glossika, 1 Textbook, 1 Lingq).
0 x

CittaKyle
Yellow Belt

Postby CittaKyle » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:50 am

4/24/2016

* Reviewed genitive plural endings (4.1), genitive singular endings, genitive singular prepositions
* Studied lesson 4.2 (numbers)
* Two Duolingo lessons
* Listened to Glossika Day 15 in car
* Reviewed ~40 Memrise words in between sets at the gym
* Reviewed Glossika sentences 1-100 in car, focusing on pronunciation and unfamiliar words
* Listened to various Lingq dialogues while mowing grass
* Listened and read along to Lingq “история нины” part 2 and 3 (5+ times)
* 3 new verbs of motion paper flashcards
* 10 new Memrise words

Good day overall. Got a lot done in the 'in between' moments or while doing other things (mowing, working out, driving, watching TV with wife, etc)
0 x

CittaKyle
Yellow Belt

Postby CittaKyle » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:03 am

4/25/2016

* Hour long Russian Skype lesson with Oksana
* Two Duolingo lessons, mostly dealing with genitive
* Reviewed about 20 Memrise words
* 5 new Memrise words
* Listened and read to Lingq “история нины” a few more times. A lot of unfamiliar words but can get the gist of it when just listening
* Reviewed Oxford 4.1 (Genitive Plural) - remembered all the various endings perfectly
* Oxford 4.3, "хотеть" and accusative with на and в when conveying motion. I've known хотеть a long time but oddly didn't know the stem changes for we, you formal, and they conjugations. Not sure how i missed that.
* Listened to Glossika day 16 (through sentence 160).

Didn't have a chance to create any verb of motion flashcards as planned. Had to stay up late in order to get all my items done today. And now... off to bed.
0 x

CittaKyle
Yellow Belt

Postby CittaKyle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:26 am

4/16/2016

* Two Duolingo lessons: one on possession, one on animals
* Reviewed ~40 Memrise words and 5 new words
* Listened and read along to "Go to the store!" in Lingq ( https://www.lingq.com/learn/ru/workdesk ... 71/reader/ )
* Started learning Oxford 4.4 (Currency and exchange rates)
* Glossika Day 17 (up to sentence 170)
* Made a few new verbs of motion flashcards
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:35 am

Hi

Congratulations! Where do you plan to sit for the exam? Can you provide a link? Thanks.
Last edited by reineke on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:03 am

Поздравляю с рождением сына, CittaKyle!

I'm keen on playing some computer adventure games in Russian too, ideally with a generous dose of audio and scrolling text. Several members on the forum have heartily recommended the Witcher series. Have you played any earlier instalments in the series, and if so (I'm just curious here) what were they like?

Удачи с italki уроками и с TORFL экзаменом через два года!
0 x

CittaKyle
Yellow Belt

Postby CittaKyle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:19 pm

reineke wrote:Hi

Where do you plan to sit for the exam? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Hi Reineke,

According to my research, there are only two places in the United States where you can sit for the exam: Bowling Green University (Ohio) and Duke University (North Carolina)

Of the two, Bowling is closer to me but they are apparently not offering tests at at this time. http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/g ... -test.html

North Carolina is prettier anyway ;) I haven't been able to find out much online about Duke's testing, though. Since I'm still a few years anyway, I haven't worried about it much. Here is the link to their Slavic department: http://slaviceurasian.duke.edu/languages

Hope this helps,
Kyle
0 x

CittaKyle
Yellow Belt

Postby CittaKyle » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Teango wrote:Поздравляю с рождением сына, CittaKyle!

I'm keen on playing some computer adventure games in Russian too, ideally with a generous dose of audio and scrolling text. Several members on the forum have heartily recommended the Witcher series. Have you played any earlier instalments in the series, and if so (I'm just curious here) what were they like?

Удачи с italki уроками и с TORFL экзаменом через два года!

Hi Teango :)

I played Witcher 1 and 2 in English and loved them, although Witcher 2 is the much stronger entry in the series. They are amazing but very different from most RPG's, especially Japanese RPG's.

Very adult, with morally gray characters and choices. Every character is imperfect; conflicts occur with no clear right side and both sides engage in questionable decision making, even atrocities. There are no right answers, only lesser evils. The world-building has a very Slavic feel. There is also a pretty hefty dose of foul language and sexual content, which may turn off some people. This game is definitely a "hard R" rating.

My plan is to read all the books in Russian first, then replay Witcher 1 and 2 in Russian. This will help me learn all the specialized terminology and get comfortable with it before I dig in to new one.

Steam (on PC) is awesome for playing games in other languages. You buy the game once, but then you can change language settings and play in all sorts of other languages.

Over the months, I've compiled a list of games that are available in full Russian audio and text on Steam. Maybe it will be helpful for you. I haven't played any of them yet in Russian. A few I've played in English.

* Witcher 1/2/3 (Polish game maker)
* Metro 2033 & its sequels (Ukranian game maker, game takes place in Russia)
* Pillars of Eternity (very text heavy top-down RPG)
* Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
* Tomb Raider 1 & 2 (the recent reboot)
* Half Life 2
* Just Cause 3
* All of the Assassin's Creed games
* Neverwinter Online
* Sid Meier Beyond Earth
* Mass Effect 1/2/3
* Orcs Must Die 2
* Ryse Son of Rome
* Splinter Cell Blacklist
* Hitman Absolution
* Crysis 2
* Dragon Age Inquisition
* Child of Light
* Darksiders 1/2
* Portal 2
* Borderlands 2
* Xcom Enemy Unknown
* Magicka
* Diablo 3
* Left 4 Dead 2
* Football Manager (football sim)
* Euro Trucker (truck driving sim)
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:35 pm

CittaKyle wrote:
reineke wrote:Hi

Where do you plan to sit for the exam? Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Hi Reineke,

According to my research, there are only two places in the United States where you can sit for the exam: Bowling Green University (Ohio) and Duke University (North Carolina)

Of the two, Bowling is closer to me but they are apparently not offering tests at at this time. http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/g ... -test.html

North Carolina is prettier anyway ;) I haven't been able to find out much online about Duke's testing, though. Since I'm still a few years anyway, I haven't worried about it much. Here is the link to their Slavic department: http://slaviceurasian.duke.edu/languages

Hope this helps,
Kyle

Hi Kyle

Thanks for the links! I remember that Duke was a place where you could sit for the exam but I couldn't find much about it either. I hope they do offer TORL tests and admit non-students. It is a bit disconcerting that there's no mention of the test but things can change.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”