zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Dativpräpositionen

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:32 am

Dativpräpositionen in any easy and memorable song.

Dative - rhythm of "that part" of The Blue Danube: aus, außer, bei, mit - nach, seit - von, zu (don´t forget gegenüber)
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Song Anki cards ...

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:40 am

emk wrote:Yeah, I wasn't clear in explaining why I usually included one line before and after...

That makes a lot of sense - with Aegisub the audio alignment was spot on - so adding extra lines makes less sense for correcting for that type of error. On my first attempt the alignment was so bad I couldn't make sense of what I was working on. Those cards are going in the trash.

Maybe if I work on a movie I'll change my method. I do keep the lead line because it is a subtle cue to remind me of the order of the song and strengthen the lyrics learning (not just language). A cheat, as you'd say. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback!
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Re: zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 am

Right, I'm off to France for the rest of the week - packing my kids and the ex to their new house.
Driving with lots of different language podcasts.
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Song Anki cards ...

Postby emk » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:18 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Thanks for the feedback!

My pleasure! Based on my personal experience, I think that (a) the defaults on a lot of this software are unhelpful, and (b) there's a couple of really painful patterns that many Anki users fall into. The real solution, of course, is better software. But in the meantime, sharing personal tricks is the best way to unlock some of the interesting possibilities.

As for your current experiment, I'd say give the cards 20 to 30 days to mature. That's when my cards always feel "mature" (and the UI seems to have this concept, too). With any luck, you should be able to sing along to your favorite songs with high comprehension at that point!
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:00 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Right, I'm off to France for the rest of the week - packing my kids and the ex to their new house.
Driving with lots of different language podcasts.

Buen viaje
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:43 pm

vogeltje wrote:Buen viaje

Gracias!
_____

I've used the sub2srs method to create a flashcard movie from Run Lola Run after find subtitle both in English and German. The entire process took maybe 30 minutes. So I'm quite please with the result. I think this is an awesome addition to my learning tool chest. I think I'll likely add these in other languages for my kids! just great.

The obligatory card image:
Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 8.28.17 PM.png

And as great as this movie is - seeing only from the dialogue is ...confusing. I didn't know there were three stories timelines - only in seeing the complete film did it make sense. But the cards helped a lot. 474 cards for the entire movie dialogue!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:41 pm

It seems I'm too stupid to understand how you can use this cards :x :? , but it seems fun :)

Can you explain about your avatar's photo?
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:01 pm

vogeltje wrote:It seems I'm too stupid to understand how you can use this cards :x :? , but it seems fun :)

Can you explain about your avatar's photo?

Imagine taking the dialogue of a movie and having it all on cards: target language on one side, translation on the other. Except every time you look at the card you get to hear the short dialogue and also see it printed there. So you get to work on listening and reading comprehension with something from a story you like. I find it very engaging and, like you say, fun.

My posts have been a lot about how to generate that because, frankly, it is a little bit complicated.

As to the photo, that is me - flying through the air late last year at a Tough Mudder in the northwest UK. A Tough Mudder is a type of mud/obstacle race. I've done 3 so far. I enjoy training for them and participating with a bunch of friends from all over.

Here is a video I made of that event that gives you a small taste of this:

an this year's run in Chicago

1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Hebrew - Objectives and Material

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:00 am

The 6WC is coming up and I'm taking on Hebrew. My starting point is I'm an almost complete beginner except I know how to read/write the alphabet - This post is to reference my material and plans for the next six weeks. I'll also outline my app (it's a paying iPhone app, so I'll briefly mention and show it - trying to keep a balance between language learning interest and not spam the place with a promo plug).

Hebrew Objectives (6 weeks)
- Break the learn and forget cycle for this language,
- Read a children's book,
- complete 30 ASSIMIL lessons,
- Feel that I've advanced on word parsing (hearing structure),
- Strengthen alphabet reading and produce simple sentences.

Material
- ASSIMIL l'Hebreu, has vowels.
- 40 Leçons pour parler hébreu (gosh, the Win8 on-screen French keyboard sucks turtle turds)
- Living Language Hebrew Essentials, has vowels.
- Ivrit - Die hebräische Schrift lesen und schreiben lernen
שער העץ by Shlomo Cohen - Le portail du jardin (French / Hebrew kids book)

Web/podcast
- Hebrew for Dummies
- Hebrew podcast
- Busuu hebrew -- correction, this is useless - just a small discussion group at this time
- HebrewPod101 -- I like this a lot that I subscribed to their basic content for a year. With vowels.

Other material that I'll note for reference but that I'm not currently using:

Alphabet
Cartoon Hebrew - Learn to read Hebrew, Mnemonic based system for learning the alphabet using it as a study guide and pulling words to feed Anki to create a basic deck
Learn the Hebrew Letters
The Hebrew Alphabet
Learn the Hebrew Alphabet

Some youtube videos:
Hebrew Alphabet Overview
Hebrew Alphabet Part 1
Hebrew Alphabet Part 2
Hebrew Alphabet Part 3

Other links to check out:
An online library with children's stories
Shaar Lamatchil - newspaper written in simple Hebrew with full vowel marking. Here is the sample issue
Morim.com texts with audio/video

Other video/tv sites:
msnvideo.co.il, video.walla.co.il, nana (channel 10)
tv stations Keshet which maintain an archive.
http://www.iba.org.il/ ,with a video archive.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
0 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:18 am

Wow, what an interesting idea about using songs! Of course, there's lyricstraining, but it doesn't have any of my favorite songs because they're not popular. Personally I'm just too lazy to study like this, but still it sounds really good.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”