Markus' French log (TAC Les voyageurs)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
~Mg~
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (B2), French (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2370

Markus' French log (TAC Les voyageurs)

Postby ~Mg~ » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:44 pm

I'm starting this log to keep track of my actual improvement in my target language French, which I've been studying for one and a half months now. In addition to that I'd like to perfect my English skills to at least C1 level.

I was born in Austria hence my native tongue is German, so if someone speaks French and is learning German at the moment, feel free to contact me. Maybe we can help each other out ;)

So far the range of materials that I've been using has been pretty limited. I've recently finished the A1 French Memrise course and since there is no A2 course available for the French language I don't really know with which course I should proceed now. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Besides Memrise I've been watching some beginner lessons on following youtube-channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/imagiers/featured. Overall I find the lessons pretty helpful, but of course I'd love to read which channels on youtube you are watching that you find useful for your learning of the French language.
Last but not least I've been listening to some French podcasts, mostly to "Learn French by Podcast" but I'm not really happy with it because its level is a bit too high for me at the moment. Maybe someone of you can provide me with a better suited podcast for absolute beginners in the French language. That would be awesome :-)

That's all for now, I hope to read from you soon!
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Markus' French log (TAC Les voyageurs)

Postby Elenia » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Welcome to the forum :) I wish you well in your studies, and look forward to seeing your progress :)
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:56 pm

1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:14 pm

~Mg~ wrote:I'm starting this log to keep track of my actual improvement in my target language French, which I've been studying for one and a half months now. In addition to that I'd like to perfect my English skills to at least C1 level.

I was born in Austria hence my native tongue is German, so if someone speaks French and is learning German at the moment, feel free to contact me. Maybe we can help each other out ;)

So far the range of materials that I've been using has been pretty limited. I've recently finished the A1 French Memrise course and since there is no A2 course available for the French language I don't really know with which course I should proceed now. Do you guys have any recommendations?
Besides Memrise I've been watching some beginner lessons on following youtube-channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/imagiers/featured. Overall I find the lessons pretty helpful, but of course I'd love to read which channels on youtube you are watching that you find useful for your learning of the French language.
Last but not least I've been listening to some French podcasts, mostly to "Learn French by Podcast" but I'm not really happy with it because its level is a bit too high for me at the moment. Maybe someone of you can provide me with a better suited podcast for absolute beginners in the French language. That would be awesome :-)

That's all for now, I hope to read from you soon!

I have added your log to the members list.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

~Mg~
White Belt

Postby ~Mg~ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you rdearman for the list, with this amount of resources I probably won't get bored for quite some time ;)

Thanks to you too, tomgosse, hopefully we will be able to help each other out, should there any questions arise (I'm pretty sure that this will be the case quite often :D).

My French studying today:

Half an hour of going through the first levels of the "Duolingo French" Memrise course.
Another half an hour of watching some "Learn French with Vincent" videos on youtube. I've finished the "# Learn French # Unit 12" playlist today.

When I'll have watched all videos of the 20 units, I'll probably start over one more time to solidify the discussed topics in them, because I think that repetition is one of the key factors of successful language learning.

Do you think that's a good idea or do you have any other suggestions on how I should proceed with my language studying?
1 x

~Mg~
White Belt

Postby ~Mg~ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:58 pm

I did pretty much the same amount of studying the last two days that I'm usually doing, maybe a bit more.

One hour of vocabulary learning using Memrise (on my IMac when I'm at home, otherwise I have to use the inferior mobile app).
Half an hour of reviewing some of Vincent's grammar lessons on youtube.

I think I need to build a solid base vocabulary and grammar first before I'll be able to start using native materials like books or TV shows. I' m not feeling ready for this kind of stuff right now. I suppose it would be more frustrating than actually helping me to advance faster, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't really know ...
1 x

jennybenny25
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), BSL (Lvl2), French (Beginner A1), Spanish (Beginner), Turkish (Beginner), Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1743&p=17622#p17586

Postby jennybenny25 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Bienvenue et bonjour!

I too am studying French - this forum is brill :) good luck and look forward to reading your progress

Au revoir
1 x
SpanishDuolingo: 20 / 64

SC Films: 1 / 50

SC Books: 0 / 50

Outputchallenge: 220 / 50000

FirstSpanishReader: 5 / 29

CoffeeBreakSpanishSeason1: 10 / 40

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstFrenchReader: 15 / 29

Writing: 243 / 1000

FrenchDuolingo: 29 / 78

CoffeeBreakFrenchSeason1: 15 / 40

LiveFrench: 2 / 25

~Mg~
White Belt

Postby ~Mg~ » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:52 pm

The last few days I've been doing pretty much the same as the days before, Memrise and some youtube lessons.

I'm not very happy with the French courses provided in Memrise, because the ones I've tried out were all teaching single words only. I'd prefer to learn new vocabulary through whole sentences, since I'm more likely to remember them in context with words I already know.

Do you guys have any suggestions for good sentence based French Memrise courses?

Bonne journée / Bonne nuit a tous ! (Depending on your current location ;))
1 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:41 am

I unfortunately haven't come across any French Memrise courses that provide things in context, which I agree is better than words in isolation. Perhaps you could search for graded readers or children's books, and pull vocabulary and constructions from there? If you like the spaced repetition of Memrise, you could make your own Memrise course with them (or use another SRS program like Anki).
1 x

Return to “Language logs”