cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Hmm, is this it? People are moving here for now? Anyway, thought I'd make a post, just announcing that I've made the transfer over, that is unless the old board comes back from the dead.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Re: cathrynm: suomi/日本語

Postby cathrynm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:08 pm

I'm still pluggin away on Memrise's top 3000 Finnish words, listening to YLE: Radio Suomi during work, when I get the chance.

I am crazy busy with work, but still trying to squeeze in some time on this.
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Posting both here and the other forum. Well, memrising today, though maybe I should try reading something. Bought a Finnish translation of Wind in the Willows from Amazon, but it's hard. This is one of the onyxtranslations books on Amazon. I think it's okay, but looking at it, I realize I'm not good enough at Finnish to know whether it is or not. Hmm.

And I thought this one was down with the sql errors for awhile.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:50 am

Wait, this onyxtranslations is just no good now that I look at this. I can tell -- It's google translated. Oh well, so now I know. Theré's nothing on Amazon in Finnish at all. Going to toss it, and go back to reading websites for now.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:55 am

cathrynm wrote:Wait, this onyxtranslations is just no good now that I look at this. I can tell -- It's google translated. Oh well, so now I know. Theré's nothing on Amazon in Finnish at all. Going to toss it, and go back to reading websites for now.

Sadly that's an issue that exists. There's quite a few people who just sell Google Translated versions of books.
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:04 am

yeah, posted a 1 star review on Amazon. It's okay, really, I have money so it's no big for me.
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:20 pm

cathrynm wrote:Hmm, is this it? People are moving here for now? Anyway, thought I'd make a post, just announcing that I've made the transfer over, that is unless the old board comes back from the dead.

The old forum has came back from the dead. Or rather I say, delayed its death.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:32 am

Yeah I guess I'm still posting both sides. I have accumulated quite a collection of Japanese videogames. I was in Beijing recently for work, and I picked up some Japanese PS Vita carts for the flight back, so my collection is growing. I do realize that I have a tendency to skip through story, though, so I have to force myself not to do that, and to pay more attention.

Also, I signed up for a paid basic subscription to Finnishpod101, and have been downloading and listening to those. They aren't as nice as the JapanesePod's -- really, I listened to some Intermediate Japanese pods, and the acting was so amazing in comparison. But for Finnish? I need all the audio-only resources I can get. Should have done this earlier.

Feeling a slight pull of wanderlust, being in China. I'm back now, but I might end up being there more, soon, for work. We'll see.
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:57 am

http://www.folklore.ee/pubte/eraamat/vadjaisuri/en/

http://www.folklore.ee/pubte/eraamat/va ... voi-poigad

Votian and Ingran. Songs with audio and English translations. Not quote Finnish, but this kind of thing pushes all the right buttons for me.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:49 am

Well, here I am, having spent the last 3 weeks or so in Beijing. Surrounded by confusing Chinese language. Really, it is a handicap understanding nothing of what anything says, but somehow I manage to get useful work done, sometimes talking with someone who speaks both, or just flailing around. I have been making my way through restaurants and things, with pointing or occassionally spotting a character that's common to Japanese. The written langauge is interesting, I can make out quite a few characters or look them up -- the speech is quite baffling. Still have little more than a week to go here.

Hotel does have some Japanese TV, also I have been watching some Chinese TV too. Also tried out some Memrise for Chinese, actually I can blast through this pretty fast, though it doesn't translate much into hearing much of what's going on around me.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”