Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's TAC 2015 crazy? French course mission

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 am

Mohave wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Le retour de Pitœʀ Guerre

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks again for the recommendation of this movie! I really enjoyed it, and found it thought-provoking - particularly since it is based on a real-life, 16th century identity theft in France. I plan to watch it again, and probably read the book.

PeterMollenburg wrote:I've managed to land myself a new job. I'm doing what I never thought i'd do- going to work in an Emergency Department. After some deliberation post watching les actualités sur France 2 one day in which a French nurse was shown doing 'intérim' work as a theatre nurse I decided that despite the uphill battle trying to work as a nurse in a French speaking environment (ie country, hopefully France) as a nurse, that I must make myself more inviting to French employers and part of this involves developing important skills and skills that are in particular shortages. Thus I decided that both emergency nursing and theatre nursing are important. Emergency (which I've always been a little reluctant/scared of) for skills and shortages and (operating) theatre (which I tried in the past and disliked it, but willing to try again) for shortages. So for now it's development of skills with emergency (accident and emergency, A&E/ED whatever you want to call it) which I'll begin in a couple of weeks time in the same hospital I do acute ward nursing in. Same hospital, entirely new role.

Congrats on the new job!!!! Awesome! What is even more awesome is that you found it in area that will further develop your skillset and make you more marketable with French employers - another step in realizing your dream of living in France! I wish I had your accent. I've noticed that as my listening skills improve, I notice that I really have some work to do here. You are doing a great job as always, Monsieur Pitœʀ "PM" Guerre!

rinv - Not to hijack PM's log, but it's great to see you posting again. I am glad to see you are still studying French.

Hi Mohave,
It seems Le retour de Martin Guerre had a similar effect on you as it did me. I've since watched it a second time- with my wife 2nd time round. Great movie! I'm glad you appreciated my recommendation :)

And thanks also for the congrats on the new job :) I read about your use of replay TV and have added it to my bookmarks- next step, a decent VPN.
0 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:18 pm

Félicitations! I hope you enjoy your new job!

I think it's a great idea to watch TV shows like Scrubs, ER, House, etc in French. Then, when you're watching TV, you'd studying languages *and* doing professional development. Win-win.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Stelle wrote:Félicitations! I hope you enjoy your new job!

Thanks Stelle ;)

Stelle wrote:I think it's a great idea to watch TV shows like Scrubs, ER, House, etc in French. Then, when you're watching TV, you'd studying languages *and* doing professional development. Win-win.

Yep, pretty decent idea there of Arnaud's and more fun (or should I say 'funner') than reading anatomy and physiology books. Still, the books at the least are good references if needing to hone in on sth in particular. Now, how to fit this into my jam-packed schedule!
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:46 am

I usually do a monthly update and I hadn't done July yet as I've been pretty busy...

July
Total study hours: 67hrs 11min
Daily average for July: 2hrs 08min

Breakdown:
Audio (only) courses: 19hrs 08min
Courses: 17hrs 55min
French TV: 12hrs 35min
Flashcards: 8hrs 15min
Extensive Reading: 3hrs 17min
Intensive Reading: 2hrs 52min
Podcasts/Radio: 2hrs 40min
meetup: 30min

As for August so far...
Despite my previous failed attempt at a 6WC putting myself under rediculous pressure I still decided to enter this 6WC, albeit with a much more balanced approach this time. This 6WC has been a somewhat casual beginning for me compared to other 6WCs and that's fine, i'm content with that. My aim here is to just have consistent exposure to French every day and hopefully of a decent amount that may improve as the 6WC progresses. I had a good start and have slowed a little as I don't want to be too hard on myself given I've been getting my head around a new job (previously mentioned in my log) which is no walk in the park by any means. Thus, doing a bit of French each day is a tick for me at the moment, which lately has just meant French during my commutes and French television in the evening when needing to put my feet up. It's also tougher with this 6WC from the standpoint that I now spend more time at work than in prevous 6WCs, and i'm working more mornings and night shift = less time or less motivation. So now i'm aiming to build the strength to hopefully be able to sit down at my desk in the evenings to study too (if working in the morning), which is something i've always struggled with at the end of a hard day. I'm also trying to incorporate more exercise and balanced approach to life all round. Thus I don't expect record-breaking numbers in August but consistent work is what will pay off. I've fiddled sooooo much with my daily routine its rediculous- coming up with ever new strategies of how I'll rotate my study hours... only to revamp them again a few hours or a day or two later. That's a little tumultuous, but it doesn't really matter if I just keep learning regardless- emk comes to mind... just don't stop I think was his advice to many of us learners on numerous occasions.

Fry on

PM
1 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:58 pm

Hey PM!

Seems like you are taking a very balanced and healthy long-term approach on your French. Sounds like this approach also gives you the opportunity to incorporate more native materials - which sounds like a lot of fun! And you are still putting up great numbers!! I'm taking a similar approach as you - more because of circumstances - visiting our family in a rural community with no wifi/cell service except when we get to town! You are doing great! To me, learning a language is a marathon, not a sprint! Have fun!
1 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:06 am

After reading some of the recent posts on emk's log by emk and zenmonkey regarding listening to one's voice in the language being studied by recording it, I decided to make a couple of recordings of myself as it has been a long time since i've done this (probably well over a year). In contrast to emk and zenmonkey I decided to do some readings that I've previously worked heavily on from Assimil New French with Ease (emk and zenmonkey used language on the fly). Thus these recordings should be judged harshly as I've worked these lessons over and my pronunciation should at the very least be quite good (otherwise I've been wasting a lot of time). Nevertheless I'm posting these here for some feedback and criticism is definitely most welcome. Take into account i'm slightly nervous and skip over a couple of words a little quickly as recording one's voice is not as 'natural' as not recording it and simply reading out loud to oneself.

PM

PS I messed around for quite a while with this but in the end I think it's worthwhile adding it to my log, particularly if I do get some valuable feedback. I couldn't figure out how emk and zenmonkey made the soundcloud imaging appear withint the post, hopefully the link works almost as well.

Assimil NFWE Lesson 60 recording:

https://soundcloud.com/user-370211979/a ... 60/s-9uzlg

Assimil NFWE Lesson 109 recording:

Edited for improvement of the audio file appearance after zenmonkey's advice. Thank's dude, for realz. Like zenmonkey I couldn't get the first recording to appear as the 2nd did with the graphic, thus I just left it as a link.
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
10 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:33 am

Hey PM. That was crazy good! Have you been hiding the usage of D'accord La Prononciation Du Français International Acquisition et Perfectionnemnet from us? :D It's that good. I suspect your B1 is starting to betray your true level. Excellent work.

I really appreciate you sharing that. One day I hope to share something a fraction as good as that.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:41 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:

Quote me and you can see the tags used.
It should look like this:

Code: Select all

[soundcloud]the sound cloud link goes here[/soundcloud]

Hmm - can't get the first link well-formed.

Anyway - your accent is beyond good. It's excellent. Truly!!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:09 pm

I have found this forum and I have found your log and I've realized that your French "R" is far better than mine! I honestly can't tell much difference between your accent and the actual speaker on the Assimil recording.
2 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:24 pm

PM - That is a CRAZY AWESOME accent!!! I wish I had an accent like yours!! Congrats! In all seriousness, can you share your "secret of success"? I am currently focusing on improving my pronounciation/reducing my accent!
3 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

Return to “Language logs”