Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Sooniye
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), Spanish (~A2-B1), Croatian (~A1), French (~A1), Basque (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1981

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Sooniye » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:05 am

Hello all! :)

I hope that your studies in the nordic languages are going well. I just wanted to tell that I would love to follow this thread and help with Swedish if I can and it is wanted (I am a native speaker).
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Sooniye wrote:Hello all! :)

I hope that your studies in the nordic languages are going well. I just wanted to tell that I would love to follow this thread and help with Swedish if I can and it is wanted (I am a native speaker).

Thank you for the offer, it is much appreciated. Is it okay if I add you to the first post as a wise owl?
1 x

Sooniye
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (Adv), Spanish (~A2-B1), Croatian (~A1), French (~A1), Basque (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1981

Postby Sooniye » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:59 am

Thank you for the offer, it is much appreciated. Is it okay if I add you to the first post as a wise owl?

Absolutely :)
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:30 am

I used to be a "Godfather" for the HTLAL Scandinavian TAC teams, giving you offers you couldn't refuse 8-) I know this is not a TAC team, but if you have questions about Norwegian or want your Norwegian corrected then I am happy to help out if I can.

I think the idea of a Nordic Team is great. Although Finnish is in a different language family enitrely and Icelandic is not as close to Danish, Norwegian and Swedish as the three are between them, we still like to think of "Norden" as a cultural entity - actually the five countries established something called the Nordic Council and the Nordic Council of Ministers already in 1952.

Edit: The Nordic Council of Ministers also works for language co-operation and to enhance mutual understanding between the Nordic languages. You can read about it in English here.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Sarnek
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Fluent), Swedish (Advanced-), German (Intermediate-)

Postby Sarnek » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:56 pm

This could be useful for those of you studying norwegian: http://www.bokselskap.no/
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:11 am

I posted this in my log, but I would like to post here, too. Yesterday, while watching an episode of På Spåret from a few weeks back, I managed to correctly guess the city before any of the contestants, and get right an answer they all got wrong. I was also watching without subtitles for the very first time!

For those of you who don't know, På Spåret is a Swedish competition program. A camera is attached to the front of a train (or sometimes, to the front of a road vehicle), and two sets of two contestants must guess the destination of the journey. Clues are given, based on puns and bits of general knowledge, and the contestants have to try and guess/work out the answers early. Then, they have to answer questions about the town. It's a really fun program :D

Do any of you have any achievements to share?
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:56 am

Don't look to me for achievements. I lived in Norway over fifteen years before noticing that "last night" and "tonight" are the same in Norwegian. I probably still wouldn't have realized it had I not tried to refer to both in the same text message a few months ago.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Don't look to me for achievements. I lived in Norway over fifteen years before noticing that "last night" and "tonight" are the same in Norwegian. I probably still wouldn't have realized it had I not tried to refer to both in the same text message a few months ago.

You mean, don't look to you for any achievement other than becoming so proficient in the language that things that would make other learners wrack their brains and tear at their hair are normal and natural for you? ;)

Also, thanks for the heads up. This will be one to look out for when I start my Norwegian comprehension project :D
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Elenia wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Don't look to me for achievements. I lived in Norway over fifteen years before noticing that "last night" and "tonight" are the same in Norwegian. I probably still wouldn't have realized it had I not tried to refer to both in the same text message a few months ago.

You mean, don't look to you for any achievement other than becoming so proficient in the language that things that would make other learners wrack their brains and tear at their hair are normal and natural for you? ;)

Also, thanks for the heads up. This will be one to look out for when I start my Norwegian comprehension project :D

Really, it's not so weird when you think about it. If I say, "I went to the library Saturday," or "I'm going to the library Saturday," nobody would be confused about what day I meant even though they are different days. It's the same with languages that use the same word for "yesterday" and "tomorrow" or "last night" and "tonight."

I might have wracked my brains a little had I noticed it, but maybe my powers of observation are just not that sharp. It also took me fifteen years to notice that the sun sets in the north in the summer, but in my defense, it's been cloudy most of that time, and I don't usually stay up so late either.
0 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Elenia wrote:This month's non-obligatory goal is to watch a film. It doesn't have to be in your TL, but it does have to be from one of the Nordic countries.

I didn't watch any film, but I did manage to get through half a season (=5 hours) of the new Danish series Bedrag. It's about manipulating the stock market, the economical profits of renewable energy and - of course - murder. It's somewhat based on events a few years back - one of the protagonists is even called Lehman :) It's a rather promising series - well, it's Danish, they usually are.
3 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Return to “Study Groups”