Using Global Voices.org to make simple parallel texts

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Using Global Voices.org to make simple parallel texts

Postby iguanamon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Many times on the forum, those new to language-learning may sometimes see some of us talking about "parallel texts". (I'm not writing this for more experienced learners who already know about this.) What is a parallel text? A parallel text is a two columned page with L2 (second language) on the left and L1 (native language or one that is known) on the right. These can be difficult to find from traditional retailers because the market for such products is very small. For language-learners, these can be quite useful in training reading, learning new vocabulary, phrases and grammatical structures. I used a parallel text recently to learn to read Ladino (Djudeo-espanyol) in Rashi script.

There are sources online for ready-made parallel texts of books, but there's a catch- there always is. The books may not fit your interest and they most likely will be older, out of copyright texts- "The Portrait of Dorian Grey", Sherlock Holmes, etc. In the beginning stages, trying to read a book can be a daunting task. There's a lot of it to get through.

One way to resolve this is to go for shorter texts, like articles with translations. One source I have used in the past is GlobalVoices.org. The articles are all human translated.
Global Voices wrote:We are a border-less, largely volunteer community of more than 1400 writers, analysts, online media experts and translators.

Global Voices has been leading the conversation on citizen media reporting since 2005. We curate, verify and translate trending news and stories you might be missing on the Internet, from blogs, independent press and social media in 167 countries.

Many of the world's most interesting and important stories aren't in just one place. Sometimes they’re scattered in bits and pieces across the Internet, in blog posts and tweets, and in multiple languages. These are the stories we accurately report on Global Voices—and translate into more than 35 languages.

The articles are contemporary, diverse and interesting. These are not "hard news" items but more along the lines of the impact of current events and pop culture on the lives of people. They publish in all the major languages in addition to some not so common languages like Malagasy, Aymara and Albanian.

Some of the articles are original in these languages, and get translated into English and many other languages. Many of the articles were originally published in English and translated into the other languages. This can be quite useful for language learners. I have found the translations to be quite faithful. They can be used to make your own parallel texts for learning, especially in the A2/B1 stages after or during a course.

There are many ways to make a parallel text. LF Aligner is one of them and is a free and legal to download program. It was designed by member Andras Farkas who also has his own website, Farkas Translations, with several public domain books available already aligned with various language combinations from which to choose. LF Aligner is great for long texts and books. There are even youtube demo videos to show you how it's done. What I want to do today is show you the worth of short articles and how to make short parallel texts easily, with few computer skills required, by using your own word processor program. I'll be using the Global Voices Articles which are licensed under Creative Commons license.

I am a huge fan of free, open-source, software. My word processing program is open office. To make a parallel text after acquiring the two sources of text:
1) Open a text document
2) Insert a two column/one row table
3) Copy L2 and paste in the left column (try to avoid copying and pasting photos and special formatting)
4) Copy L1 and paste in the right column
5) Print to pdf
6) Read (on a tablet, hard copy, computer, phone in landscape view, whatever).On a tablet you can expand the image to exclude L1 and then shrink it back to check your guesses.

Tweaking the text:
Of course, you'll have to tweak it. Some languages use more words and some use fewer words to say the same thing. Some of the text may be different font sizes and these will have to be tweaked. I like my text to be the same font size and same font. It can be done to your own personal tastes. You end up with something like this:
Heres one in Russian to English (Take into account that I don't speak Russian, though thanks to Serpent and her tweets, I can read the alphabet :) :
I don't know if I can get this one right because it's in Japanese. The story is about stop action Ultraman videos on youtube:

So, if I can do this, you can too. Reading is one of the ways I learn new vocabulary without SRS. Parallel texts can be a good way to read without "breaking flow" to look up words. They can be used in a number of different ways. Read L1 first then L2. Read L2 first then L1. Read L2 only checking L1 to confirm guesses, which is my preferred method. You can read extensively or intensively. There are several useful variations to do this.

Subtitles:
Global Voices is just one multilingual source. Another fun and useful parallel text is using subtitle srt files. Subtitlte files are available at several sites online, or can be ripped from DVD's you already own. They generally come online in SRT files which can be opened in the Windows operating system in Notepad. From Notepad, I can copy and paste into the two column table format. These require a bit more effort because the time stamps won't line up and stuff, like a descriptor- "she coughs" may not get a subtitle in L2 or writing on a sign in L1 may get translated into L2 and not show up in the L1 subs, etc. You get used to it. I did a season of "The Walking Dead" for a friend of mine who is learning Spanish in parallel text. I can make a parallel text for a half an hour show in about 5 minutes and a 45 minute one in about 10 minutes. So, it's not that big a deal. Here's a sample of dialogue from The Walking Dead series 04 episode 11- "Claimed":
This can be useful for learners because it can help them to understand, even if the subs and audio don't match. The parallel text can be read before watching and can help with understanding what's going on. They can also be used to read after having watched the show. You could take notes during the show and use the parallel text as a check on your comprehension. Again there are many ways to use this. Obviously, subs2srs, with accurate subtitles is the best, but not all of us have the computer skills necessary to do that.

Of course, translations aren't 100% accurate. That's why we learn languages in the first place because so much does, indeed, get "lost in translation". Still, this is a way to boost learning of vocabulary without srs. It's a way to make your own interesting content that is more meaningful to you personally and add some fun into your routine. This can be done with song lyric translations too- really, anything with a good translation- government pamphlets, even. You can use anything from which you can copy and paste text. Have a look at this Global Voices article about The Wonderful World of Japan's ‘Okonomiyaki’. It's available in Hindi, Italian, Spanish and Catalan.

The way I have described to make a parallel text is NOT one I would use to make a parallel text of a book. For such a long text, use a program like LF Aligner. For a short text like a news article or a TV show, this can be easier to do manually. My problem is/was, for Haitian Creole, Lesser Antilles French Creole and Ladino (Djudeo-espanyol), there simply isn't a whole lot of translated source material out there for me. That, and, well, I am beyond parallel texts in all my languages. Working with (lots of) short parallel texts can help with extensive reading. Once you have developed a sufficient vocabulary size (that can be done by extensive reading or srs, if you prefer) you won't need parallel texts anymore. Hopefully, this can help some of you who are new to language learning get the benefit of using parallel texts in your learning.
Last edited by iguanamon on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
36 x

Speakeasy

Re: Using Global Voices.org to make simple parallel texts

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Iguanamon, in “Scrabble”, if a player uses all seven of his tiles on one play, he receives an extra 50 points, in addition to the score for the word. Such a play is commonly referred to as a bingo or a bonus. I concede you the 50 extra “likes”.

EDIT: To those of you who might be tempted to "like" my comment, I would ask you to restrain your instinct for generosity and reserve your encouragement for more worthy posts. To do otherwise has an unfair inflationary effect, particularly as in this case, I used a "blank" tile that I habitually keep tucked away in my shirt sleeve. Accordingly my post should be counted as "0" points.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks, Speakeasy. I'm just trying to give back to the community from which I have gotten so much over the years. I didn't include German but Global voices has Global Voices Deutsch. Almost all the big languages are covered. Now if I could only talk them into a Haitian Creole site! :)

One of the ways for learners of other languages to search for Articles is to try the GV English site first and look for translations of articles in your TL that look interesting. These can be found in the upper left side of the page once the article is clicked. The other is to go through the L2 sites and look for translations in the upper left side of the articles.

To make a parallel text from GV, I've found it easier to do it via the print icon which will open the article as a printable page. Leave out photos and manually remove footnotes and hyperlinks to make the alignment easier. I used to do this for some friends.

The Associated Press en Español has a site with translated articles in Spanish translated from English. El País in Spain has translated Articles in English, Portuguese and Catalan. Agence France Presse has English, Spanish and French (that I know of). Reuters has English and Portuguese (that I know of) , etc., etc. Seek and ye shall find.

GV often quotes Twitter and Facebook posts in their articles. When they do, the quote has a clickable link for the original version of the tweet/post. I've found several good Twitter accounts to follow as a result. GV and their writers are also on Twitter.
Last edited by iguanamon on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Postby Bakunin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Many thanks, iguanamon, for this great post! I'm thrilled to see that besides many interesting languages they have articles in Khmer too. I wasn't aware of this website, and the idea to go looking for parallel texts wouldn't have occurred to me without you pointing out how easy it can be. I'm sure many here, experienced language learners or not, will appreciate your post!
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Aglona Reader

Postby Montmorency » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm

I have made my own parallel texts using freeware "Aglona Reader". If you google for it, you should find the software, along with some sample texts, and there are some "how to" videos on Youtube.

It's quite labour intensive, and takes some getting used to, and it helps if you are moderately nerdish in the technical sense, as you have to do a little work on the text file before you start parallelising it. However, I think the effort is worth it, if you have the time and patience. At the end of it, you really know the text quite well.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Aglona Reader

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Montmorency wrote:I have made my own parallel texts using freeware "Aglona Reader". If you google for it, you should find the software

If you google for it, be sure to google "Aglona Reader." Googling just "Aglona" will get you something completely unrelated. VoE (voice of experience :oops: )
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Breaking paragraphs into sentences in Microsoft Word

Postby smallwhite » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:57 am

Breaking paragraphs into sentences in Microsoft Word

000.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Lysander
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18668

Re: Breaking paragraphs into sentences in Microsoft Word

Postby Lysander » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:33 pm

smallwhite wrote:Breaking paragraphs into sentences in Microsoft Word

000.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

This is handy. I use LibreOffice and unfortunately cannot figure out how to have it do this automatically. Shift+enter does the line break, but I cannot figure out how to automate it in settings.

I figure this thread deserves a bump anyway since it is such a great idea, and free, to use Global Voices for this. But if any LibreOffice users come along, feel free to share the tips to copy what smallwhite did if you know how :D It may just be that the Find&Replace options are not as robust as in Word.
0 x
: 17 / 30 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish Vol 1
: 17 / 150 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish - Overall

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Breaking paragraphs into sentences in Microsoft Word

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Lysander wrote:This is handy. I use LibreOffice and unfortunately cannot figure out how to have it do this automatically. Shift+enter does the line break, but I cannot figure out how to automate it in settings.

I figure this thread deserves a bump anyway since it is such a great idea, and free, to use Global Voices for this. But if any LibreOffice users come along, feel free to share the tips to copy what smallwhite did if you know how :D It may just be that the Find&Replace options are not as robust as in Word.

Actually Libreoffice is more powerful. Because you can use regular expressions. So you can find all punctuation marks if you want, although quotations are problematic. Open Find & Replace, make sure the Regular Expressions are checked then in Find:

Code: Select all

([\.;:!?])

and in Replace

Code: Select all

$1\n

The first bit seaches for full stops, semi-colons, colons, exclamation and question marks. The second bit tells it anything which matched above replace it with itself ($1) and a newline (\n)

I tested and it worked for me, your mileage may vary.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”