German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Practice your target languages here.
LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: German Book Club/ Tintenherz read-along

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:13 pm

I feel like I'm a little late to the party, but is it cool if I join too? I've had Tintenherz sitting around on my Kindle for aaaaaaaaages (I read it in English about ten years ago and don't really remember any of it) so this would be a good kick to get me started reading it. I guess you guys are finished up Chapter 2 now?
1 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:35 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:I feel like I'm a little late to the party, but is it cool if I join too? I've had Tintenherz sitting around on my Kindle for aaaaaaaaages (I read it in English about ten years ago and don't really remember any of it) so this would be a good kick to get me started reading it. I guess you guys are finished up Chapter 2 now?

By all means, join in :) we're aiming to have Chapter 2 done by this weekend. I don't yet have it finished. Like Brun Ugle said, reading ahead is fine as long as you don't spoil the plot, being a bit behind is also fine, but those who have never read the book before might want to avoid the later pages of the thread to avoid spoilers.
1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:08 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I don't think there are any rules against reading ahead as long as you don't spoil anything for the rest of us.

Oh my, that means I can read all three books... xD
0 x

sjintje
Orange Belt
Languages: Native English
Functional but fading French
Intermediate but erratic German
Reads Dutch headlines
Dabbling in Spanish and Japanese

Postby sjintje » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:44 am

Brun Ugle wrote:. I don't think there are any rules against reading ahead as long as you don't spoil anything for the rest of us.

In which event we will cut out your liver and feed it to the ravens (apparently it's not as bad as it sounds).
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:21 am

sjintje wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:. I don't think there are any rules against reading ahead as long as you don't spoil anything for the rest of us.

In which event we will cut out your liver and feed it to the ravens (apparently it's not as bad as it sounds).

Not as bad for whom? The ravens? I'm sure they'd love it.
2 x

Egwene
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2), German (B1), French (A2), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2955

Postby Egwene » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:19 am

It is Saturday now, so I think I am allowed to write anything about chapter 2 now. If not, don't read the rest of my message.

My question is: why was Staubfinger already at their home? The plan was that he would come in the afternoon (if my memory does not fail me now). But here he is, in the early morning. Or, as they say in the book: an einem viel zu frühen Morgen, der nach Regen roch.

And what is special about the book that Mo is hiding from Meggie.. Something very old or magical? I have no idea yet. I'm excited to read the next chapter.
0 x
Corrections are always very welcome.

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Ich habe das erste Kapitel gelesen. Yay. Ich hatte um dreißig Minuten gebraucht, höffentlich die nächste Kapitel werden die gleiche Zeit nehmen.

Ich habe ein vorschlag; vielleicht könnten wir Freitags aus Name liste mit unser Progress. Dan wissen wir wie lange haben wir alles bevor die Nächste Kapitel ist geschlossen. Wann wir wissen, könnten wir jetzt am Wochenende das Kapitel diskutieren.

That was probablz verz wrong. My idea for next week (every Friday) was that somebody could perhaps take a roll call, and note everyone down in one post with what chapter they are on, also how close they are to finishing the current chapter. Then if everyone has finished, or the majority are close to finishing it, on the weekend everyone could talk about the chapters read and not worry about spoilers. Just an idea :)
Last edited by WalkingAlone13 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Egwene wrote:It is Saturday now, so I think I am allowed to write anything about chapter 2 now. If not, don't read the rest of my message.

My question is: why was Staubfinger already at their home? The plan was that he would come in the afternoon (if my memory does not fail me now). But here he is, in the early morning. Or, as they say in the book: an einem viel zu frühen Morgen, der nach Regen roch.

And what is special about the book that Mo is hiding from Meggie.. Something very old or magical? I have no idea yet. I'm excited to read the next chapter.

Yes, I'm sure too that they had agreed to meet in the afternoon. Maybe Staubfinger knew Mo would try to sneak away early, so he made sure to be waiting. But is Staubfinger good or bad? He warned them to get away in the first chapter, if I understood correctly, but there was something spooky about him and about the way he was waiting for them. And of course, Mo wanted to leave before Staubfinger came, so maybe he's dangerous or something.

I have no idea what might be in the book. Maybe it's magical or dangerous. Something mysterious and spooky is going on.

I feel like it's already getting easier to read. Even after only two chapters, I already feel like my German is improving. Of course, at my level, the only way is up.
1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:32 am

I read the third chapter and gave up - meaning I read more. Guess I'll write next time when I am done with the book :) It's really interesting so far, not too hard and a really good way to "upgrade" your German.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:43 pm

How is reading going for everyone? I still haven't even started the third chapter :oops: hopefully I'll get some done tonight and tomorrow.

@WalkingAlone13 - I think your suggestion is good, but a little fiddly to put in to practice. How about, instead, the first person who talks about the latest chapter heads their post to indicate a spoiler? Then everyone else can be warned. That way, we don't have to worry about listing all participants and waiting for them all to be able to respond (and also wait for those behind people like myself) before talking about the chapter.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”