Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Re: Team East Asian Languages TAC 2016

Postby dampingwire » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:54 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:Japanese: Finish up to the fifth lesson of Easy Japanese (from NHK World). I've done up to half of lesson three; they're not too long, but again, it's sitting down and focussing that's the issue.

I remember working through the NHK World course a while ago: it was just the right length to dig into during a lunchtime.

Between then and now, however, they've completely changed the course and the old one seems to have vanished from the web. I imagine it will be there for a while, but you might want to grab the PDF and audio just in case!
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:47 pm

How did everyone do on their week 2 goals?
0 x
Gone

Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Postby Evita » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:04 pm

AiyaLianxi wrote:Welcome to Team East Asian!

Evita: Korean

I repeat - I did not sign up for TAC so please remove my name from the first post. Thank you!
0 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

aliciaftw
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Spanish and Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1834

Postby aliciaftw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:17 am

I just posted this over on the Spanish team as well:

Hello team, I'm late updating my log and I've been very busy the last few days so I just wanted to check in. I've started back at school and I'm writing up an assessment right now so I've done hardly anything else these last few days. My assessments are finished up on the 21st, so after then I should be back into the grove of things.
0 x

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:20 am

Hey everyone. I'm coordinating with AiyaLianxi (co-captaining) so I'll be carrying on this week until things are worked out.

@Evita: Evita, we're still trying to see if one can take over from the other to edit posts. Aiya or me will remove your name from the list as soon as this is sorted out. Thanks for your patience with this.

This week, I managed the 20% input challenge, so this one is a success. Unless AiyaLianxi meant for this to be a monthly challenge, in which I'll still be plugging along. Shouldn't be hard as most of my learning is input-based, anyway. I also managed to cover the activities for the week, with the exception of 50 more kanji to go from the stated goal of 250. So, so far so good.

Please post your achievements for this week! Also, let's all list a similar goal and try to meet it by next Sunday. I'm doing two more episodes of Ghostwriter and FMA:B, read a volume of Noragami, Listen to 40 audio-only segments of Jpod, and read 5 short articles on NHK News Easy. I'll also be watching a bit of Gaki no Tsukai and Ichi Littoru no Namida.

Challenge: Unless the past one is a monthly challenge, I'll assume it was weekly, in which case, here's this week's:

Shadow for two minutes everyday. It can be any material, native or learner, and you can repeat the same thing over and over, just put in 2 minutes worth of shadowing daily.

Looking forward to your posts, y'all!
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:22 am

@aliciaftw: No worries, aliciaftw, some things need absolute attention. Take your time and good luck with the assessment. We'll still be here when you're back :)
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

PolyglotMaya
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (advanced fluency), Japanese (JLPT N3), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1861

Postby PolyglotMaya » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 pm

To my surprise, I reached my goal with kanji (getting up to 220 entered in Anki) but not with sentences. Until recently, I was adding a sh*t-ton of sentences but not many kanji. The last few days of this past week changed that, because 1) I was tired on many days, and adding kanji requires less effort than entire sentences and 2) I downloaded an online version of Heisig's first book, and it's really helped my kanji learning to kick off, giving me extra ideas for stories (in addition to ones I come up with on my own).

Some goals for this week:

-- Get up at least 330 kanji in Anki.

-- Read at least 2 more manga.

-- Watch at least 40 mins of video a day.
0 x
: 9 / 200 French active listening

: 464 / 2000 Japanese kanji

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:50 pm

Goals for Week 3:
  • Test out a new learning style
  • Assimil 20
  • Drop Korean
0 x
Gone

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:08 pm

dampingwire wrote:I remember working through the NHK World course a while ago: it was just the right length to dig into during a lunchtime.

Between then and now, however, they've completely changed the course and the old one seems to have vanished from the web. I imagine it will be there for a while, but you might want to grab the PDF and audio just in case!

Yeah, length-wise it's absolutely fab, I can get through a lesson in about 20-30 minutes, depending on how much I write out. But thanks for the advice! I grabbed the PDF a few days ago, though they don't have the audio up for every lesson yet. I'm probably gonna download what they have soon though :)

Rotasu wrote:How did everyone do on their week 2 goals?

Not fantastic, but I did study a bit so it's not too bad.

I'm a little late (as usual - I didn't realise I hadn't subscribed to this topic so I hadn't even thought to check it, oops!), but my goals for until Sunday are:

• Study up to lesson 8 of Easy Japanese
  • Write 5 sentences (maybe a self-intro)
  • Finish the text from lesson 51 of NPCR 5

I hope everyone's looking forward to the weekend!
0 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:21 pm

What about having an output (writing and/or speaking) challenge here, maybe for next month? Just changing a theme/prompt and asking members to write about it in any of the CJK languages. I don't normally do challenges that say "study this much of this, that much of that for x time" because I already have a routine I stick to, but output challenges and even just member interaction in the target language would be great...

...which leads to a follow-up: who would be fine with me dropping by the log and writing in Mandarin?

I plan to write my entries about Mandarin IN Mandarin so I can get extra practice, for example.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Return to “Language Challenges”